“Just average”
Review of Kingdom Kichwa

Kingdom Kichwa
Ranked #23 of 247 Quito B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I find the outstanding reviews for this place puzzling. Pros are that it is cheap, quiet, clean and reasonably friendly. Other than that, it has no charm, the dining area is ugly, no outdoor seating or garden. In other words, ok, but I would look for something better. Perhaps in Quito, for $35/night, this is all one can expect. If I were in Quito again, I would look for something in the Old Town. Unless you're into the bar scene on and near Mariscal Foch Plaza, I see no good reason to stay in that area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jodi489

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I don't have enough good things to say. As a single female traveler who ended up here through a transfer gone awry, I didn't know what to expect and I don't usually stay in hostels so ... Initially I thought the area was sketchy since its off the main streets around Plaza Foch. But, the staff were incredibly kind, and made my stay comfortable and easy. They even drove me to the bus station at night (to go to Cuyabeno) and offered to let me stay there again on my way back and through to the airport without needing to pay. They serve a lovely typical breakfast in a cute garden atrium and water, fruit, coffee and tea are always available.

The beds and rooms and bathrooms were very clean and warm (it's cold in Quito at night) and I got an extra blanket when I asked for one, though I never needed it. I found out too late that they are next door to the famous Fried Bananas restaurant (closed Sundays).

I will be back here, as I promised I must climb Cotopaxi and Chasky was kind enough to offer virtual training :)

Truly a memory and experience here I will never forget.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AdaPia
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed at Kingdom Kichwa and were surprised with fresh flowers in our room on arrival. The staff was extremely helpfull and super knowledgable about Ecuador and had a lot of insider tips about travel destinations.
We enjoyed our stay in the relaxed atmosphere and quite room only a few blocks away from Quitos nightlife.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Kingdom Kichwa, but it's not for everyone. Its huge strength is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff; we interacted with José and Luis, and even after just a three-day stay we felt as if we were leaving family when we returned to the US. There is a friendly common room with a fireplace that was going every night, and we spent more time there than in our rooms, except to sleep. Be sure to ask José to make you a "canelazo" on a chilly night! Location is also a strength: close to the Mariscal area but far enough to be isolated from all but the loudest music.

The property itself is a large house that has been remodeled as a hotel, and it's not impressive. Carpets were worn, the shower in our room was decidedly funky (but clean and quite usable), the place could use repainting—in short, it's an old house that could really use a thorough remodel. The bed was extremely comfortable, though.

Luis has apparently just recently got into the hotel business after being a mountain guide, and when we went, the place had only been open for about 6 months, so they have some time to work on improvements (we saw Luis working on some plumbing fixtures in the back courtyard on a couple of occasions). Luis, and José especially, have good English, but José has a mild speech defect that can make him a bit hard to understand in both English and Spanish until one gets used to it. Apparently the dairy products they serve comes from Luis's farm, and they're superb.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BSquared04
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Nice place, we stayed 5 nights and had a room to ourself the whole time which was great.
The breakfasts were fantastic.
My negative feedback would be on the cold, we stayed 5 nights and the fire was never put on. Would have been nice to take the chill out of the air. Also the transfers are a bit pricey, a taxi at the airport is only $25 so a cheaper option.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here before and after a trip to the Galapagos. What sets this place apart are the staff. We dealt mostly with Jose, who went way above and beyond the call of duty to help us out, including insisting on preparing a fresh breakfast for us at 4:30am before an early flight. He also stored our bags while we were away, arranged transfers to the airport, gave us great advice on places to go in Quito, and helped us plan our onward journey to Colombia. Without doubt the most accommodating host we have encountered in 4 months of travelling in South America.

The house is spacious, quiet, located beside lots of restaurants and a short taxi ride to the old town. Our room was clean and comfortable. Was also much cheaper for an ensuite double room than most other places we looked in Quito. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here a few days ago and loved it. What makes this place is the owner. He's a quiet gentlemen who looked after our every need - he even got up at 4 am to prepare us breakfast before our very early flight. The B&B has a great location near lots of restaurants and bars however as the b&b was a few blocks away, we didnt hear any noises at night. The rooms are spacious and clean but a little dated. I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2013