“Good prices!”
Review of Alston Inn Hotel

Alston Inn Hotel
Ranked #64 of 113 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I had a pretty good experience just recently at the Alston Inn. I chose the hotel because I was already familiar with the area in Quito and had contact with the owner previously. It's very plain compared to most hotels that are higher priced with very few extras. There is wonderful hot water and cable television with plenty of channels with English options. The beds were very comfortable and the blankets were warm. Most places in Ecuador, unless you're staying at a hotel chain that's typically from the US or other higher end hotel chains, will not have air conditioning or indoor heating. The same was true for Alston Inn, but Quito has a fairly mild climate most of the time. I had an inside room that required me to walk outside and across a courtyard to get to my hotel room. When I returned to my room around eight or nine at night, one of the gentlemen working at the front desk walked me to my room as I was staying by myself...definitely appreciated! Wifi worked fairly well for me and my room was at least quiet, though this could be because I had an inside room. I didn't eat at the hotel, but there is a delicious coffee shop on the same block. About two blocks down you can find The Magic Bean, which seems very popular among backpackers in the area. It should cost around $5 to take a taxi to Alston Inn from the airport or anywhere really in the northern section of Quito itself. The owner is very friendly and if you let him know that you want to practice your Spanish, he'll be very helpful! He also speaks English very well though!

Room Tip: Ask for a room across the courtyard, not on the main street. Probably quieter!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank japantraveler26

Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed here with a group last week for 1 night. We chose this hotel because of its close proximity to the airport in Quito. Three of us shared a room. Hotel is in need of a serious upgrade, but for one night it was okay. All three of us managed to get a hot shower in the morning. The hotel itself is in a noisy part of town, so there was a lot of activity going on in the evening. Take some ear plugs and you will be fine! The front desk staff were really nice, and they did help us during our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night in between flights, booked through expedia. This hotel looks very plain. I got a room with 2 beds on the main floor. The blanket on one of the bed smelled of body odor. The hot shower lasted for only one person, not two in a row. The front desk however was very helpful and friendly. I would not recommend this hotel because there are many other hotels in the area that offers the same price without BO and with hot water.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2012

For the money, excellent hotel to spend your sleeping hours in. Aside from no heaters in the rooms, the blankets kept me warm at bedtime. The owner and front desk staff speak very good english and are helpful when asked. It is an older hotel without much in line of amenities, however the price offsets those things. I will defintely stay here again, as it is a very safe hotel with security.

Room Tip: Inside rooms seem quieter, they also have courtyard rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank bigjohn0
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I have traveled extensively in South America. Typical low budget, sparsely decorated motel. Great location(during the day). A nice market just down the street, coffee shop next door and many restaurants in the neighborhood. Staff very helpful in arranging tours. Would definitely stay again..

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank rawarii
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Needed a budget hotel as we were landing in Quito after midnight and leaving at 6am so review may not be truly representative of the hotel's facilities. We only saw the lady night receptionist who had to be woken up to register us. The night porter boy was very helpful in carrying our heavy luggage up and down stairs to the annex, and then quickly got some towels which had not been provided in the room. We had a few hours sleep and a quick shower and then left. Room was clean and basic, shower area a bit worse for wear. We had booked for another night's stay on return from Mindo but cancelled as decided hotel not for us, not sure about the area and wanted to be in Quito Old Town. Was fit for purpose in terms of what we needed but don't think I would have wanted to spend much "downtime" there as the rest/communal areas did not look very inviting.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Stayed one night with a large group. Three of us got a room downstairs close to the street. The noise began around 1 am - shrieking, slamming, clonking, clanging, stomping, tapping, yelling, shouting, thumping......I could go on and on! (Much like the noise) It went on until about 4 am and then we finally got to sleep. A sleeping bag out on the sidewalk would've been preferable. Oh, the room was clean and the bathroom adequate. And our friends who stayed upstairs said the noise was more tolerable there. So don't take the downstairs room!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business