“LOVED my stay”
Review of Alston Inn Hotel

Alston Inn Hotel
Ranked #64 of 112 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I don't know if it's just because I loved Quito so much, but I thought this was a fantastic place to stay. Great location (10 minute trole ride to Old Town, 5 minute walk to Plaza Foch), very clean, hot showers, extremely kind staff, good internet, perfect temperature rooms, etc. Very enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gigikins07
There are newer reviews for Alston Inn Hotel

Reviewed 24 September 2013

No frills, not maintained very well and not very clean. I would have rated just a bit higher if I did not find hair through out the room/bathroom and the spots on the walls. The sheets were clean, the front desk staff very friendly and helpful, and it is a non-smoking hotel (which is why I booked it) but beyond these 3 important items, (they do provide soap and shampoo) the rest is down hill. The furniture is basic, very old, needs cleaned real bad and the comforter and blanket needs burned. See picture of the blanket - this is supposed to be white and the fuzz has all balled up so bad it looks like some type of pattern. I can forgive old, but not cleanliness and there was no reason to have hair, old blankets, dirty furniture and walls. The bathroom fixtures are old, small round bowl, and you have to hold the handle to get the toilet to flush right.

They also have free wifi which is a plus but signal was very spotty in our room and the intermittent connection was not worth the hassle. Great signal in the lobby, and our room was not far from the lobby, I just think it was the concrete structure. They had two wifi channels, but room reception issues need addressed.

Last problem was the hot water, yes very very hot. You have to constantly monitor the cold feed to keep from being scalded. If someone in another room flushes a toilet, watch out, cold is gone and you get scorching hot water. This is a real problem and again, unacceptable. It must be an unfixable problem with an old building unless there is a major remodel. Regardless, beware.

Now, this is a low budget hotel. I get that. But that is no excuse for being dirty. I stayed for the two nights I booked because I at least had the clean sheets, private room (although noisy) with private bath.

You should also be aware that it is in the older part of the city. During the day it felt safe, no issues. At night we were told to be careful. They call the area the "Pink District" because there are a lot of night clubs among other things. I had no problems with the location, but it is not next to the historic center. A cab to the historic center is about $3 or 4 dollars. To Telerifico is $5, The center of the world (Equator at 0.0.0) was $40 rt, and the airport is $26 to $30 each way. The airport btw is a hour drive.

In sum, I would not stay there again. If you are on a tight budget and need spacious rooms somewhat near the historical center and can handle some cleanliness issues, then you will probably do ok.

Room Tip: The front rooms near the street seem noisy. The back rooms still get some noise from the lobby and...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here our first night in Ecuador. Check in after midnight was smooth.Comfortable beds, plenty of hot water and decent TV, but this is a no frills place. I would stay again. No breakfast, but plenty of places close by.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 25 December 2012

I stayed here for one night 'everything was perfect 'beds were super and WiFi works like I charm , I also enjoyed the TV because they have option to either watch in Spanish or English most channels, I speak Spanish but prefer to watch in English, Location is awesome I went to the mariscal market and visited this jacket deli , with great coffee more than ounce, it is located just to the left f the hotel .I am planning one week at the same place, because I liked it so much.

Room Tip: They have non smoking rooms
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Rene68
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I had a pretty good experience just recently at the Alston Inn. I chose the hotel because I was already familiar with the area in Quito and had contact with the owner previously. It's very plain compared to most hotels that are higher priced with very few extras. There is wonderful hot water and cable television with plenty of channels with English options. The beds were very comfortable and the blankets were warm. Most places in Ecuador, unless you're staying at a hotel chain that's typically from the US or other higher end hotel chains, will not have air conditioning or indoor heating. The same was true for Alston Inn, but Quito has a fairly mild climate most of the time. I had an inside room that required me to walk outside and across a courtyard to get to my hotel room. When I returned to my room around eight or nine at night, one of the gentlemen working at the front desk walked me to my room as I was staying by myself...definitely appreciated! Wifi worked fairly well for me and my room was at least quiet, though this could be because I had an inside room. I didn't eat at the hotel, but there is a delicious coffee shop on the same block. About two blocks down you can find The Magic Bean, which seems very popular among backpackers in the area. It should cost around $5 to take a taxi to Alston Inn from the airport or anywhere really in the northern section of Quito itself. The owner is very friendly and if you let him know that you want to practice your Spanish, he'll be very helpful! He also speaks English very well though!

Room Tip: Ask for a room across the courtyard, not on the main street. Probably quieter!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank japantraveler26
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed here with a group last week for 1 night. We chose this hotel because of its close proximity to the airport in Quito. Three of us shared a room. Hotel is in need of a serious upgrade, but for one night it was okay. All three of us managed to get a hot shower in the morning. The hotel itself is in a noisy part of town, so there was a lot of activity going on in the evening. Take some ear plugs and you will be fine! The front desk staff were really nice, and they did help us during our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night in between flights, booked through expedia. This hotel looks very plain. I got a room with 2 beds on the main floor. The blanket on one of the bed smelled of body odor. The hot shower lasted for only one person, not two in a row. The front desk however was very helpful and friendly. I would not recommend this hotel because there are many other hotels in the area that offers the same price without BO and with hot water.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends