“Completely overpriced hotel”

Ranked #47 of 114 Hotels in Quito
London, United Kingdom
“Completely overpriced hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my husband from October 17 to 20 and didn't think it was at all satisfactory and certainly wasn't worth the $70 per night price tag. We arrived at about midnight after flying into Quito and were given a room at the front of the hotel, which is right on a busy road so was very noisy. Unfortunately, the window latch on one of the windows was broken so you couldn't even shut the noise out. We had booked a king-sized bed, but it was only a standard double bed. I went down and asked the guy at the counter if he could move us to a quieter room and he said they were full but would try the following day. We then tried to take a shower and the water was cold. I went back and asked about this and he said it should be hot but he would check something and we should try again in 5 minutes. When we tried again it did work.

Next morning we went down and asked to change rooms and were told to wait 10 or 15 minutes and we could move to a quieter room. 10 or 15 minutes turned into about 2 hours and we wasted most of our first morning waiting to move. In the meantime, we went for the included "American buffet" breakfast. The breakfast consisted of eggs that looked like they had been cooked about two hours ago and the fruit looked so bad I wouldn't have even contemplated eating it (basically looked like it had been bought two weeks ago and just left there). On the first day there was some muesli that was okay, but the following two days only stale cornflakes. There was also bread, with nothing to put on it except something they claimed was marmalade but looked and tasted like dirt.

Our next room also had a broken window latch and faced a street so was also noisy. It also smelled really musty due to having very dirty carpet and horrible stained bedspreads that looked like they were rarely cleaned. When I went to bed that night I could smell a horrible urine-type smell that made me think someone had wet the bed at some point.

In total, three of the six times we showered there was no hot water and when we complained, they did something to fix it, so I'm not sure if they only turn it on when people complain. By the third day, I couldn't face eating anything at breakfast as even the butter looked off and I didn't even want to spread it on my toast, so my husband went to the nearby Burger King and got something to eat.

The hotel looks really nice in the communal areas and the staff are nice, but frankly, this cannot compensate for the fact the rooms are old and ill-maintained and the breakfast is dreadful. A previous poster has said it was only just worth $45, but it certainly isn't worth $70 and I seriously regret choosing it. We were at the start of a long backpacking trip around South America and I thought I would opt for something a bit nicer than we would be staying in for the rest of the time as I suffer from altitude sickness and was flying directly into Quito. I wish I'd just opted for a nice hostel as these are much better than this place.

The location isn't that great either if you want to go out at night - it is fairly close to Mariscal and an easy walk during the day time, but at night the streets felt very isolated around the hotel and we were reluctant to go too far.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JoC716

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Not a bad option for Quito. Very welcoming and helpful receptionists were much appreciated after a less than satisfactory experience at another hotel (Real Audiencia). The rooms are a bit small and the decor may not be to everyone's taste, but the bed was comfortable and the TV worked fine (with English language channels). My room was near the stairwell, so I didn't have the wifi problems. However the downside is that this room was exposed to noise drifting up the stairwell and smells from the cafe (someone burned some oil!)

Note that there is no internal ventilation, air or heat in the rooms, just windows. Thankfully Quito has a fairly mild climate and it wasn't too hot nor cold during my stay. I liked the location for a night, it was easy to walk to the restaurants on Orellana (a range from chain to mid priced Crepes and Waffles to a steak place) and there are also places nearby on Diego de Almagro. Not in Mariscal and all it's seediness, but close enough. Two blocks to EcoVia station.

Felt safe during normal hours. Although it has a locked gate, it was often left open at least during the day. There are room safes but test them first before leaving valuables inside!

Tip: If you want to print out your boarding pass, be sure to ask during normal business hours and not including lunch. The printer is in the office so only accessible when it is attended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Weehawken, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed as a couple for 4 days starting August 28th 2013. The location is nice - very close to Mardiscal with lots of dining and entertainment options. The staff is very helpful. However this is an average hygienic hotel with all the essentials in place but no wow factor. We felt it was ok for $45 a night but the charge of $70 seems a bit overpriced for what it offers.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Akshay J
Nanton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

This hotel maybe only 8 years old but been made to look turn of the centenary, and it works. Good price Nice location and very helpful staff. What more could you want. The breakfast has a nice added bonus. Also in the bus route so made getting around Quito easy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

The Eugenia hotel is a great and affordable hotel. When I setup this trip I wasn't sure what I was getting. The price here was far lower than the Hilton or any other "American" hotel in the area. But the hotel is beautiful. Sure, it has it's outdated pieces of it, but it's a great hotel that offers a lot of great value for travelers. The beds are super comfortable, the staff speaks perfect english when needed and can help you find anything in the city and help you setup tours and other things. The bathrooms are beautiful and the rooms are kept very clean.

My only gripe is the wifi is horrible at the ends of the hotel because they use outdated routers that they place in the middle of the floors that don't broadcast signal far. Just a simple upgrade to a newer router will increase that signal strength and allow a constant strong connection through the hotel. Outside of that, I cannot complain one bit.

What sealed it for me was the staff. Always friendly, always helpful and always there to guide you no matter where you want to go in the city.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bryce R
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

Interesting converted mansion away from the centre but in an area with many other hotels and restaurants. Good breakfast and really helpful staff. Very secure and clean. The WiFi worked and they held our bags for us while we went to the jungle.

• Stayed July 2013
N.J.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Eugenia Hotel in Quito is an excellent place-clean, walking distance to tourist center. A beautifully designed hotel inside and out. Includes breakfast as well as wifi and internet. Fernanda at the front desk was especially helpful and went above and beyond to help us with getting around town and Ecuador as well.

Room Tip: rooms near Berger King were too bright