“Highly Recommend!”
Review of Hotel Reina Isabel

Hotel Reina Isabel
Ranked #18 of 112 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 2 March 2014

What a great hotel! I immediately felt the luxury upon walking in.

Quito has nice buildings and ugly buildings right next to each other, instead of entire good and bad neighborhoods. After walking on some ugly side streets, it always felt great to come back to this hotel and leave any ugliness behind me.

The breakfasts are so-so, they are putting some flavor in the scrambled eggs that aren't great. I wish they would make them plain.

Warning-- MUST READ!! The only negative is that when you ask for a taxi, the hotel picks cabs at random instead of using a partner taxi company. So when you taxi back to the airport, be sure to work out the route and cost with the driver before putting your luggage in. Ask for a newer cab with a toll pass.

When I arrived to the new Quito airport and got in the taxi line, I was lucky in that the next cab for me was a new Sonata with a nice driver who took the fast and smooth toll road for $25 total. He had the electronic toll pass and it felt like a 25 minute drive. I paid $30 with tip.

However, when I asked the hotel to call me a taxi for my flight out, they randomly found me an old guy with an old car. I made the mistake of assuming he would take the fast toll road and that was the only way. This idiot instead took me on winding back roads and one long strip with traffic lights.

So instead of a 25 minutes drive, this moron drove for almost an hour just so he wouldn't have to pay tolls. It didn't occur to him that with the time he saved he could have gotten another customer and doubled his money that hour. He tried to lie to me and tell me it was the only way to the airport. I told him I knew the difference and did my best not to yell at him and call him a moron. I told him congratulations, now he can go to McDonald's with the $3 he saved in tolls. I told the hotel is cab number. (by the way, it's Taxi# 10514, don't ride with this moron)

So the point is, when you go back to the airport from this hotel, only agree to use them if they drive the toll road, and set the price at $30 that already includes tip. Ideally the taxi will have the electronic toll pass like my first one did, so you don't have to stop at each toll. Tell the hotel this when they call a cab for you. Odds are an older cab driver will take the only way he knows, and that is slow annoying back road way.

I won't let the bad taxi experience affect my review of the hotel, you will have to tell the hotel what you want from a taxi. Else the rooms were excellent and I felt great being at this hotel.

As for the neighborhood, stay on the main road (Amazon) when walking at night. Else take a taxi to go to the bars and clubs. Especially when coming home, if you stumble like you've been drinking and are alone, thieves may target you. I did not have any problems with this, but a local gave me that advice.

Enjoy your stay!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank DJChicago99

Reviewed 27 February 2014

While in Quito we stayed 8 days here. We had a suite in the new tower, which was fantastic. the room was very clean. I did not want for anything. I would call the front desk and they took care of everything. Juan made my stay very comfortable, he was always there with a smile, greeted me by name when he saw us. With my limited Spanish he made me feel comfortable. He went out of his way to make us feel welcome. Nothing was ever a problem, locking myself out of my safe, no problem. Everyone was very nice and helpful. another lady at the front desk, I apologize I don't remember her name, handled one unpleasant incident I had wonderfully. These two at the front desk made the stay wonderful. They are truly an asset to the hotel. The whirlpool/tub in the room was heaven, I wanted to move in. fantastic stay Thank you Hotel Reina Isabel!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tommysmimi
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Unfortunately, we had a flight delay and didn't get to check in to our hotel until about 6:30am! So we only spent a few hours sleeping, then a shower then checked back out and never got to experience their included breakfast (we were too tired). But for the short time we were there, it was a nice place and I'm sure it would've been very enjoyable to spend more time there. We chose this place as it was very close to the place that we had rented motorcycles from for a 10-day tour of the country. We only spent one night in Quito and then again the afternoon that we returned the bikes to the rental company. This location was in good walking distance to many shops and restaurants so I think it would be a good place to spend a few days in Quito. We would recommend it.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Clean, modern, efficient staff this hotel is a good option. On the edge of the Mariscal area so lots of restaurants and shops. Pretty safe area, no worries when we were there. It was a bit pricey but we chose a suite , about 95$ US a night with breakfast.
I,d stay here again.
LB

Room Tip: Check Booking .com for rate reductions and specials
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed at the hotel on two occasions, and in different towers. In both cases, there was plenty of space—particularly in the suite—and everything was clean and worked. The downside is that all the cold stone and square, soulless furniture create a somewhat “industrial” feel, particularly in the common areas.

Service was friendly and efficient, even as we relapsed into English for some of the conditional statements.

We had an easy walk from the hotel to the pleasant Ejido Park with its handicraft market on weekends, the massive Municipal Market which is open throughout the week, the National Museum with its spectacular collections, and some quaint coffee shops with excellent selections of chocolate.

There are two computers in a common area with free internet. It works well for simple things, but we got stuck several times when handling e-mails. Better to disconnect and enjoy the city!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have less traffic noise and better views of the city.
1  Thank Reslysten54
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed here a total of 4 nights in 3 different rooms while on an OAT trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos. The hotel is conveniently located near Plaza Foch which has numerous restaurants and entertainment options. The staff at the front desk and restaurant spoke enough English for us to get by easily. There are two computers located in the lobby that you can use to access the internet (no charge). Two of the rooms that we stayed in had in-room safes and all of them were large and nicely decorated. There is some remodeling going on in the hotel. We could smell paint fumes in the hallway but didn't notice anything while inside our room. There is no A/C, but it wasn't needed during our stay. One small window could be opened. Be careful, because some rooms have a heat rod that is easy to accidentally turn on when trying to locate the bathroom lights. Breakfast was included with our room and was adequate to get us ready for a day of sight-seeing. You can get make-to-order eggs from a waiter since the buffet only has scrambled eggs on it. The eggs came out sunny side up each time my wife ordered hers over medium. The omelet that I got the last morning was quite good. We felt safe walking after dark in the blocks around the hotel, but we had been cautioned to be careful and stay on the main streets.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed here on three occasions during our stay in Ecuador. We had three different rooms and therby had three different experiences as follows:
1. Room on seventh floor - scruffy, windows on two sides,hot with no A/c , bath grubby, a possible suicide room but windows didn't open so not an option! On the plus side bed was comfortable and the overbath shower was relatively efficient.
2. Fifth floor this time with only one wall of windows so less hot. Overall appearance much better and bathroom more modern, still no a/c but temperatute acceptable as was the room overall.
3. Upgraded to suite ( did they know about Trip Advisor?!), huge room - nearly needed satnav to find bathroom in the night, but overall somewhat lacking in charm, a case of quantity over atmosphere.
So, clearly a different experience depending on rooms, what they all have in common is breakfast - just about adequate is all I can say and for goodness sake don't leave your table for one moment to collect a forgotten item from the buffet, or you breakfast will be cleared away! After this happened to us we always left one of us on table guard duty!
Reception is efficient, but again lacking in charm, a couple of receptionists could do with a course on how to smile.
Nevertheless, this is reasonably priced and well placed for the local restaurants, so if budget is a concern stay here and ask for a lower floor ( or suite in new block), but overall I would splash out a bit and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: make sure room is not south facing and too high up
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple