“A little Havana in Ecuador”
Review of Vieja Cuba

Vieja Cuba
Ranked #14 of 114 Hotels in Quito
Ottawa, Canada
“A little Havana in Ecuador”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had a quick stay at Vieja Cuba but enjoyed it.
I arrived mid afternoon from the Amazon region and they accommodated a pre requested early check in. I was given a small but comfortable upper room in the exterior wing. They had already explained there was laundry close by and marked all my needs on a map. Laundry was 3 short blocks away and was able to return clean clothing before end of day closing. There is a MegaMaxi three blocks the other way that allowed me to get groceries prior to several days in Mindo. They also indicated a secure ATM near the laundry.
I regret not getting the name of the woman at reception, but she was pleasant and efficient. She explained the restaurant was closed for renovation, so I planned on getting some good Cuban food at their restaurant down the way, but when I joked about the good smells coming from some kitchen, she set me down and provided the last serving of arroz con pollo from their personal kitchen to me on the house. How kind was that? I also needed breakfast before the regular 7am service, and they accommodated. Real coffee (not always readily available in Quito) was ready as was a cold breakfast as we arranged. Nicely set up and ample for the early start to a long day.
The room was clean, and though noisier with windows open, I found the windows closed out a lot of sound from what seemed to be the inn keeper's residence..or staff area? Ample hot water - but it does take a bit of time to get hot.
There were few people in that wing, but I did hear an early departure. When travelling, ear plugs are a must.
There was a tv, but I don't watch it, so cannot comment on reception or channel options.
As it is not always the case, they did accept credit card payment with no extra charges....some businesses charge the merchant fee to the client.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms in the external wing and further back from the street.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Quiltingmamma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Small room, lots of flies, no restaurant as advertised. Scary to go out at night. The towels were frayed and that made me feel that the price was too high. Find something else! Good breakfast with friendly service and front desk tries to help but they are mainly inexperienced and limited.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ricksgrl
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We had booked 7 days at this charming yet limited hotel. We may have liked it better had we stayed for a shorter period of time, hence the title of the review. We can say that the staff made a strong effort to satisfy our needs, with a special salute to Daniela at the front desk and Maria at breakfast, who's bubbly demeanor and sincere desire to make us happy made the start to our day wonderful (she's been positively mentioned in several other reviews, she's a jewel and a valuable asset to this hotel. Polish the english a bit more and she could..and should…run the joint). We've traveled in Europe and the caribbean and realize that the rooms are smaller than what we find in the U.S. but we did have a bit of a problem with the room size, again, if we had booked a shorter stay perhaps we wouldn't feel this way. Overall, we loved the architecture and the cuban theme. The place is very clean and tidy and the breakfasts are great. We arrived at 1:30AM and Franco showed us to our room. It was downstairs with one twin bed of regular size and one bed I can only call hostel size. I'm 5'7" and could touch the ceiling of the room without straightening my arm. The room was about 10' wide. A step down took you to the bathroom, in which I observed several centipedes and a trail of ants. The room smelled of mildew and was dank and was located opposite the laundry. Being now 1:50AM we went to sleep. When we got up, Daniela, whom we had communicated with on the internet prior to traveling, immediately changed us into a much nicer room. She explained that Franco (who was extremely nice) had a customer service issue with another traveler and used the room intended for us to solve that issue and was not supposed to use the room he gave us. I don't think anyone should accept that first room, it's pretty bad so beware being taken downstairs. As far as our experience from that point on, I can comment that the doors on all the rooms are noisy. They all have glass inserts and when a guest closes a door, everyone on that floor hears it. We understand that the nature of travel to Ecuador means folks are getting in at midnight and beyond and that means a lot of noise in this hotel. One thing to point out that we found in pretty much all of Ecuador, they don't seem to use screens. This was the case at this hotel and there's good and bad with that: the temperatures are mild so you can keep the windows open but you get flies. One thing in particular about this hotel we found extremely disappointing, again, because we had booked a week's stay and wanted to use the hotel as our base of operations. We're older and don't drink or go out much at night. The hotel advertised on their site that they had a restaurant and room service. When we got there we found the restaurant was closed and there was no room service. Meant we had to go out at night. The restaurant across the street closed at 5pm and the next restaurant up the street had limited fare. In any event, we eventually decided that we wanted to stay somewhere else, also because of a difficulty we had with dealing with the altitude on rainy days. This meant dealing with Expedia. Daniela came through for us in the clutch. She spoke with Expedia and approved the cancellation of the final three days. She was polite, professional and understanding. I have nothing but the highest compliments for Daniela. I can also compliment the customer service style of Alejandro, the other front desk clerk we dealt with but Daniela is in a class by herself. All in all, charming architecture and style, issues handled with grace and good effort but not the hotel that we expected from the advertisement.

Room Tip: Stay out of the basement!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We arrived for our first night in Ecuador at 0130 and received a warm and helpful welcome. Woke up a little late but still able to enjoy made to order breakfast and delicious coffee served to us by Mare, one of the most joyful women I've ever met. The front desk staff was kind and patient with our endless questions and did their best to make our outings easy. We returned each evening to our lovely, very clean room for a strong, hot shower and a good sleep on firm beds.The grounds are beautifully maintained and the best place to sit and reflect. Vieja Cuba truly provided us with just what we needed!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Vieja Cuba is a real find in Quito. If you are looking to get away from big hotel chains and want to try a quaint , well run hotel. This is it! Comfortable, very clean rooms. Try it when it Quito. Very conveniently located to great restaurants and activities.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank zephdell
Petawawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This hotel is one of a kind- in a good way. We were here two nights in January. Both my husband and myself experienced mild altitude sickness while in Quito but nothing serious.
The hotel feels more like a authentic old world hacenida/cottage/hobbit home. Our room was on the third floor. The bedroom and bathroom were small. Definately more suitable for small people (not a problem for us). There were 4 single beds in the room (including 1 set of bunk beds). Although our room was dimly lit, with small windows, it was clean and comfortable. What the facility lacked in 'grandness' it more than made up for in ambience and spirit. Staff were very helpful, efficient, professional and geniunely happy. We arrived at 1:30 a.m. and our bags were carried up to our room and we were left to get some sleep. The taxi we requested they arrange to pick us up at the airport was there (although the driver charged us an extra $5 US. $ than pre-arranged- not the hotel's fault). The Breakfast room was large and sunny. Breakfast was cheerfully served. It consisted of juice, two types of fruit, oats, scrambled eggs, toast, coffee and tea. After we checked out we left our luggage there all day. Upon returning to pick up our luggage, the front desk made a long distance call for us (our flight had been cancelled) and there was no additional charge. I'd definately return here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank justvisiting50
chicago
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The staff here was very friendly, the room was very clean, and the overall ambience of the place was much better than I was expecting of my first impression of Quito, Ecuador. When booking this place, I didn't know where to stay in Quito. I didn't like the "New" Quito as much as the Old Town, so I would look there first. This place is in the newer part of Quito. Also, you might be able to find something much cheaper although just as nice. Overall, though, I liked this place a lot.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo