“One of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in”
Review of Vieja Cuba

Vieja Cuba
Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Everythingin the hotel is tiny but the pruce. Very small rooms that our luggage sits on the floor and blocks the doors, very low celing that you can easly touch it when streching. In the tiny bathroom there is a window that allow all the guest see you from outside (the corridor). There is very specific smell of moth as the room can not be ventilated and the worst of all: you can hear all the noises and your neighbours. I strongly DO NOT recommend Vieja Cuba in Quito.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adam Ł
There are newer reviews for Vieja Cuba

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We absolutely loved this hotel. It's unique looking, the rooms are small but very cozy, and the location is good - just a few blocks from lots of shops and bars.

What sets it apart for us is the service. The staff had excellent and very attentive service.

What hit it home for us was when my girlfriend asked for a plate of steamed veggies (which wasn't on any menu). She is vegetarian and as you will find out, it is very hard to be vegetarian in Ecuador - or anywhere in Latin America. When we asked for just a plate of veggies for her, after looking at us kind of funny, they cooked up some of the most delicious steamed (in butter or something) veggies she's had - and on the house!

We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We arrived in Quito with some items missing from our luggage and so didn't feel that our trip was off to a good start. However, once we arrived at Vieja Cuba our spirits changed. The architecture and atmosphere cheered us up so much. I loved the room in an outside wing. It had everything we needed and was clean and comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was delicious and the food so abundant. The staff was friendly and helpful. During our trip we returned to Vieja Cuba when we had to be in Quito and always found it excellent, even with our early departures and late arrivals. A smiling face for a 4:00 am departure is a great plus.

Room Tip: I like the rooms in the outside wing best. We stayed in three different rooms during our different s...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had a quick stay at Vieja Cuba but enjoyed it.
I arrived mid afternoon from the Amazon region and they accommodated a pre requested early check in. I was given a small but comfortable upper room in the exterior wing. They had already explained there was laundry close by and marked all my needs on a map. Laundry was 3 short blocks away and was able to return clean clothing before end of day closing. There is a MegaMaxi three blocks the other way that allowed me to get groceries prior to several days in Mindo. They also indicated a secure ATM near the laundry.
I regret not getting the name of the woman at reception, but she was pleasant and efficient. She explained the restaurant was closed for renovation, so I planned on getting some good Cuban food at their restaurant down the way, but when I joked about the good smells coming from some kitchen, she set me down and provided the last serving of arroz con pollo from their personal kitchen to me on the house. How kind was that? I also needed breakfast before the regular 7am service, and they accommodated. Real coffee (not always readily available in Quito) was ready as was a cold breakfast as we arranged. Nicely set up and ample for the early start to a long day.
The room was clean, and though noisier with windows open, I found the windows closed out a lot of sound from what seemed to be the inn keeper's residence..or staff area? Ample hot water - but it does take a bit of time to get hot.
There were few people in that wing, but I did hear an early departure. When travelling, ear plugs are a must.
There was a tv, but I don't watch it, so cannot comment on reception or channel options.
As it is not always the case, they did accept credit card payment with no extra charges....some businesses charge the merchant fee to the client.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms in the external wing and further back from the street.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Quiltingmamma
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Small room, lots of flies, no restaurant as advertised. Scary to go out at night. The towels were frayed and that made me feel that the price was too high. Find something else! Good breakfast with friendly service and front desk tries to help but they are mainly inexperienced and limited.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ricksgrl
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We had booked 7 days at this charming yet limited hotel. We may have liked it better had we stayed for a shorter period of time, hence the title of the review. We can say that the staff made a strong effort to satisfy our needs, with a special salute to Daniela at the front desk and Maria at breakfast, who's bubbly demeanor and sincere desire to make us happy made the start to our day wonderful (she's been positively mentioned in several other reviews, she's a jewel and a valuable asset to this hotel. Polish the english a bit more and she could..and should…run the joint). We've traveled in Europe and the caribbean and realize that the rooms are smaller than what we find in the U.S. but we did have a bit of a problem with the room size, again, if we had booked a shorter stay perhaps we wouldn't feel this way. Overall, we loved the architecture and the cuban theme. The place is very clean and tidy and the breakfasts are great. We arrived at 1:30AM and Franco showed us to our room. It was downstairs with one twin bed of regular size and one bed I can only call hostel size. I'm 5'7" and could touch the ceiling of the room without straightening my arm. The room was about 10' wide. A step down took you to the bathroom, in which I observed several centipedes and a trail of ants. The room smelled of mildew and was dank and was located opposite the laundry. Being now 1:50AM we went to sleep. When we got up, Daniela, whom we had communicated with on the internet prior to traveling, immediately changed us into a much nicer room. She explained that Franco (who was extremely nice) had a customer service issue with another traveler and used the room intended for us to solve that issue and was not supposed to use the room he gave us. I don't think anyone should accept that first room, it's pretty bad so beware being taken downstairs. As far as our experience from that point on, I can comment that the doors on all the rooms are noisy. They all have glass inserts and when a guest closes a door, everyone on that floor hears it. We understand that the nature of travel to Ecuador means folks are getting in at midnight and beyond and that means a lot of noise in this hotel. One thing to point out that we found in pretty much all of Ecuador, they don't seem to use screens. This was the case at this hotel and there's good and bad with that: the temperatures are mild so you can keep the windows open but you get flies. One thing in particular about this hotel we found extremely disappointing, again, because we had booked a week's stay and wanted to use the hotel as our base of operations. We're older and don't drink or go out much at night. The hotel advertised on their site that they had a restaurant and room service. When we got there we found the restaurant was closed and there was no room service. Meant we had to go out at night. The restaurant across the street closed at 5pm and the next restaurant up the street had limited fare. In any event, we eventually decided that we wanted to stay somewhere else, also because of a difficulty we had with dealing with the altitude on rainy days. This meant dealing with Expedia. Daniela came through for us in the clutch. She spoke with Expedia and approved the cancellation of the final three days. She was polite, professional and understanding. I have nothing but the highest compliments for Daniela. I can also compliment the customer service style of Alejandro, the other front desk clerk we dealt with but Daniela is in a class by herself. All in all, charming architecture and style, issues handled with grace and good effort but not the hotel that we expected from the advertisement.

Room Tip: Stay out of the basement!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We arrived for our first night in Ecuador at 0130 and received a warm and helpful welcome. Woke up a little late but still able to enjoy made to order breakfast and delicious coffee served to us by Mare, one of the most joyful women I've ever met. The front desk staff was kind and patient with our endless questions and did their best to make our outings easy. We returned each evening to our lovely, very clean room for a strong, hot shower and a good sleep on firm beds.The grounds are beautifully maintained and the best place to sit and reflect. Vieja Cuba truly provided us with just what we needed!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple