“THE place to be in Ecuador”

and 1 more site!
Hacienda La Alegria
Ranked #3 of 257 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Lyon, France
“THE place to be in Ecuador”
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My friend and I were just finishing touring Galapagos islands when we arrived at la Hacienda Alegria. The difference of weather and temperature between the islands and the mainland was a shock but fortunately, the warmness of Don Gabriel and Pati, in their hacienda made us feel fantastic and like at home.
This was just the perfect place to be around Quito ! The hacienda is fantastic, the rooms are large and comfy, meals were super tasty and it was nice to share dinner with Gabriel and Pati.
We spent just one night in la Hacienda Alegria, before leaing for a 2 days trip horsebackriding at Cotopaxi / Tambopaxi (organized by la hacienda).
I did ride a horse twice in my life when I was 8 and was going for a 80km horse trip: anybody would have been scared when thinking of jumping on the horse. But Gabriel made everything easy for me, letting me ride a horse the night before our trip, to get confident, and then choosing the right horse for the right person, everything was just perfect. Gallopping through the Andes, to get to the refuge tambopaxi at 4000meters was just like a dream. I have never felt that free before !

I just wish I could have stayed longer. Gabriel and Pati are such a nice couple, that you would want to stay and help them at la Hacienda and with the horses for the rest of your life !
if you plan to go to Quito, don't miss la Hacienda Alegria !

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2011

A s a passionate amateur botanist, I stayed at Hacienda la Alegria hoping for a comfortable hotel with some plants nearby to look at and photograph. The first day I walked around the area, escorted by one of the Hacienda dogs, who protected me by distracting other dogs on our route, and only occasionally appeared in my viewfinder trampling the flowers! The expectations for a comfortable hotel were more than met but there was more: I had never in my life been on a horse before, but was so impressed by the competence of my hosts that I dared to mount one in order to see this magnificent countryside at its best. I very much enjoyed the ride (although I did have some sore muscles later!) and I would love to return to try a longer, multi-day ride.

Service was excellent, beyond my expectations. Food was varied and interesting, and a bonus for me: I served myself (but not from a kept-hot buffet!) so could take small portions.

Room Tip: Do try a horse ride.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Lindernia
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We saved our visit to this beautiful hacienda as our final stop after three weeks touring Ecuador. It was a memorable experience; we've been talking about ever since. Our hosts, Gabriel and Paty Espinosa, were warm and gracious and we felt like family friends who were visiting for the week. The elegant main house is tastefully decorated in traditional style with equestrian accents and family photos. Our room, down a covered portico adjacent to the main house, was gorgeous - large, chic and modern, with lovely views and a wood-burning stove. The hacienda has a working ranch and is home to more than 60 horses, who are well cared for and available for riding. Our host, Gabriel, escorted us on several day rides. We only wish we had allotted more time so that we could have gone on a multiple-day ride with Gabriel from hacienda to hacienda. On our next visit to Ecuador, we will return to La Alegria without doubt.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room with wood-burning stove
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 4 January 2011

My ten year old daughter and I recently went to Hacienda La Alegria for a couple of nights. We had a wonderful and relaxing time. The Hacienda arranged for someone to pick us up from the Quito airport and take us directly there. The owner, Gabriel, is a wonderful host. We were only there for a couple of days and rode horses each day. The horses were outstanding. They are obviously well cared for. Before starting out, Gabriel worked with us on the horse in a ring to be sure that our riding skill level matched the horses temperment. Even though the Hacienda is 100 years old, the guest room have been recently renovated and are very comfortable. The setting is beautiful and so relaxing. When we weren't riding we read and played games. An unplanned treat was a foal that was born while we were there and a few days old llama that my daughter got to hold. Two weeks later on our last night in Quito we each shared our food highlight from the trip and my daughter said, "the soups at Hacienda la Alegria".

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 December 2010

My wife and I traveled to South America in November, and we had a few days in Ecuador before our trip to the Galapagos. Not being avid horse lovers, we found Hacienda La Alegria on TA and booked mainly based on the excellent accommodation. Neither my wife nor I had ridden a horse in at least a decade, so after we arrived - it was very comfortable to have a no-pressure afternoon of lazy riding throughout the grounds surrounding the hacienda. The next two days were spent on an overnight trip to Cotopaxi, which was easily one of the highlights of our entire trip in South America. A full day of riding is exhausting, but certainly something that I'll never forget. We stayed overnight at another hacienda just at the foot of Cotopaxi, and while not as plush as Hacienda La Alegria, a warm room and a comfortable bed were very welcome. Gabriel and Paty are amazing hosts and made us feel like family. Meals were all excellent and we'll be watching the wires for Paty's cookbook. Highly recommended to anyone! Pictures from our trip here: http://is.gd/jbZJW

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Bossier City, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 November 2010

An incredible old world working Hacienda with modern amenities. The horses, the cattle, the alpaca, it was all perfect. The host family is gracious and welcoming. The horses are well cared for and well trained. Our ride to the cloud forest to stay in a remote lodge was surreal. Highly recommend a stay with Hacienda La Alegria for the right touch of old and new.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 6 July 2010

The service was impeccable, friendly, and knowledgeable about the area. The rooms were clean, comfortable, large, with beautiful views. The location is convenient to Quito with an isolated, natural, and wonderful views of the valley. Horseback riding experience was engaging, picturesque, and informative for us as novice riders.
The best thing about the Hacienda was the experience of going on an adventure with horses, seeing the views of the countryside with comfortable and luxurious accomodations.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank missywip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quito
Hotel Casa de Hacienda La Jimenita
Hacienda Rumiloma
Hacienda Rumiloma
#39 of 111 in Quito
Casa Joaquin Boutique Hotel
Hacienda El Porvenir / Tierra del Volcan
Hacienda El Porvenir / Tierra de...
#1 of 28 in Cotopaxi Province
Hacienda Santa Ana
Hacienda Santa Ana
#2 of 28 in Cotopaxi Province
Hosteria-PapaGayo South
Hosteria-PapaGayo South
#2 of 10 in Machachi

Been to Hacienda La Alegria? Share your experiences!