“Amore Allegria”

and 1 more site!
Hacienda La Alegria
Ranked #5 of 271 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We were nothing short of happy when we arrived after a 4 hour flight and a 1.5 hr drive up to the beautiful mountains surrounding the Hacienda. The Hacienda and its hosts Gabriel and Patti were warm and inviting without an ounce of pretension. We immediately settled in to our beautiful room adorned with black and white photos of local chagra. The beds are wonderfully comfortable, the bathrooms offer modern amenities and the views are spectacular. All meals are prepared and served, we were fortunate to book a semi-private excursion so we dined with our hosts daily and always enjoyed their company and conversation, both Patti and Gabriel are fluent in English and absolutely lovely people. The riding is challenging, but the horses are well trained for the most part and very sturdy. Cantering on cobblestone streets was new for me and a bit scary but after the first day we accepted that the horses were well-equipped to handle this type of terrain. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same and they're all perfectly delightful with wood floors, down comforter...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hacienda La Alegria

Reviewed 30 August 2011

Had a wonderful time time with you all !!
Thanks a lot for your hospitality !!

Enjoyed very much staying overnight at the hacienda, very nice place! Excelent views of the valley and sorroundings with the mountains !!

Excelent horseback riding, very well trained horses and good guides!

Hope to be back soon !! Thankyou so much for your attention !!

Best wishes and keep it up !!

Best regards, Steve Brown

Room Tip: Great rooms, nice old Hacienda house and very comfortable. If you want to live a real ranch life, t...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Old world charm, meets new world comfort, La Alegria is and overall wonderful experience! The professionalism of the horse operation is incredible. The attention to safety, client satisfaction and comfort is top notch. The horses are far and away the best we encountered in Ecuador, and If it was possible, I would have brought my horse home with me! If you want to ride in the mountains for days, have a positive family experience around the Hacienda, or even just learn the basics of horsemanship everything is possible. And that isn't al!l Be sure and plan several extra days to relax and enjoy the beautiful grounds and the numerous other activities offered: from caving to cow milking! This is definitely a place I want to return to, and I hope to bring my equestrian friends so they too can enjoy the experience of Hacienda La Alegria.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 3horses4me
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I recently stayed at la alegria for 2 days of fabulous riding, which wasn't nearly enough. I'd travelled south America for four months and ridden as often as I could, this was by far the best experience I had in all of south America- warm, welcoming hosts, spectacular scenery and the most amazing, forward going horses. What a way to end my south American adventure! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend La Alegria to any horse lover! Like I say this really is five star horsey heaven!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Helsbell5
Reviewed 13 July 2011

My husband and I arrived at the Hacienda after climbing Cotopaxi. This place is heavenly. Gabriel, Patty and Mauricio are the most gracious hosts and made us feel like part of the family. Gabriel's comment on our arrival was "this is your house". I wish we had stayed at the hacienda during our 5 day climbing trip. The best part was i learned to ride a horse which was most enjoyable. Hacienda La Alegria is truly a peaceful, beautiful and spacious retreat for the heart and soul.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nita-Pita74
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I spent two days at Hacienda La Alegria in the summer of 2010, and still find myself fantasizing about when I might be able to go back. I was the only guest for my first day there, which made for an interesting experience - the rest of the family was out of town, so it was just me and Gabriel. But on the trail and at the house, he was good at providing a balance of conversation, which gave me a lot of insight into Ecuadorian society, and also quiet time to read and reflect. More importantly, the hacienda is near beautiful places to ride - the scenery was breathtaking. I had been on a horse several times before but never had formal lessons, and Gabriel gave me enough instruction that I felt comfortable trotting and even cantering for parts of two long (4-6 hour) rides. The food was delicious, and the Hacienda is also a working dairy farm, so you can watch the cows being milked.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Beth10023
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Such a warm welcome as we arrived and were shown to our room by Bob & Melaine. As it was our honeymoon, they arranged a champagne lunch for us on the terrace. This hacienda is gorgeous, so quiet and peaceful set in beautiful gardens very well looked after! We could have sat there for hours watching the humming birds!
It was such a shame we only stayed for one night as the place was so peaceful and relaxing...
Our room was very spacious, with two large beds. Bathroom was one of the best we've seen on our trip around Ecuador, great shower & hairdryer, ha ha. The most special thing about this hacienda which distinguished it from any other was the outstanding large window and view out to the mountains. As it's set in the 'Avenue of Volcano's'....
The only down side is the food was not included and you have no other option but to eat at the hacienda, as there's nothing really around it to walk too.
We thought the food was expensive here for what we got, it was 36 dollars for lunch (cheese sandwich each with some pretsel's), same price for the evening meal also, which you just get given and not asked what you want! No menu, prices etc shown to you! Quite awkward as we sat round the table with other guests and we felt like we had to eat the food even though we didnt even like it or fancy it, ha ha.
Shame we didnt get chance to go riding here, as the horse riding is thing to to do....

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Gabriel-Owner, Owner at Hacienda La Alegria, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

We are glad you enjoyed your stay despite the inconvenience that you were charged by mistake for a box lunch. In 10 years of business this the first time this happens. lunch boxes are only for rides of 4 or more hours and usually not charged for. Our set prices for lunch or dinner is for a nice and hearty 3-4 course meal. We get lots of compliments for our food... Hope to have you visiting us again and as discussed earlier I will be sending the refund soon. Thanks for your review. Best wishes and safe travels. Carolina Espinosa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Quito
Hotel Casa de Hacienda La Jimenita
Hacienda Los Mortinos
Hacienda Los Mortinos
#1 of 12 in Machachi
Hacienda El Porvenir / Tierra del Volcan
Hacienda El Porvenir / Tierra de...
#1 of 29 in Cotopaxi Province
Hacienda Santa Ana
Hacienda Santa Ana
#3 of 29 in Cotopaxi Province

Been to Hacienda La Alegria? Share your experiences!