“Hacienda la Alegria”

Ranked #4 of 254 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Hacienda la Alegria”
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Fantastic experience. Lovely hosts, beautiful accommodations, great trailrides and perfect weather.

2 Thank Kim G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We were nothing short of happy when we arrived after a 4 hour flight and a 1.5 hr drive up to the beautiful mountains surrounding the Hacienda. The Hacienda and its hosts Gabriel and Patti were warm and inviting without an ounce of pretension. We immediately settled in to our beautiful room adorned with black and white photos of local chagra. The beds are wonderfully comfortable, the bathrooms offer modern amenities and the views are spectacular. All meals are prepared and served, we were fortunate to book a semi-private excursion so we dined with our hosts daily and always enjoyed their company and conversation, both Patti and Gabriel are fluent in English and absolutely lovely people. The riding is challenging, but the horses are well trained for the most part and very sturdy. Cantering on cobblestone streets was new for me and a bit scary but after the first day we accepted that the horses were well-equipped to handle this type of terrain. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same and they're all perfectly delightful with wood floors, down comforter...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Had a wonderful time time with you all !!
Thanks a lot for your hospitality !!

Enjoyed very much staying overnight at the hacienda, very nice place! Excelent views of the valley and sorroundings with the mountains !!

Excelent horseback riding, very well trained horses and good guides!

Hope to be back soon !! Thankyou so much for your attention !!

Best wishes and keep it up !!

Best regards, Steve Brown

Room Tip: Great rooms, nice old Hacienda house and very comfortable. If you want to live a real ranch life, t...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Gardnerville, Nevada
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Old world charm, meets new world comfort, La Alegria is and overall wonderful experience! The professionalism of the horse operation is incredible. The attention to safety, client satisfaction and comfort is top notch. The horses are far and away the best we encountered in Ecuador, and If it was possible, I would have brought my horse home with me! If you want to ride in the mountains for days, have a positive family experience around the Hacienda, or even just learn the basics of horsemanship everything is possible. And that isn't al!l Be sure and plan several extra days to relax and enjoy the beautiful grounds and the numerous other activities offered: from caving to cow milking! This is definitely a place I want to return to, and I hope to bring my equestrian friends so they too can enjoy the experience of Hacienda La Alegria.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 3horses4me
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I recently stayed at la alegria for 2 days of fabulous riding, which wasn't nearly enough. I'd travelled south America for four months and ridden as often as I could, this was by far the best experience I had in all of south America- warm, welcoming hosts, spectacular scenery and the most amazing, forward going horses. What a way to end my south American adventure! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend La Alegria to any horse lover! Like I say this really is five star horsey heaven!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Helsbell5
Concord NC
Reviewed 13 July 2011

My husband and I arrived at the Hacienda after climbing Cotopaxi. This place is heavenly. Gabriel, Patty and Mauricio are the most gracious hosts and made us feel like part of the family. Gabriel's comment on our arrival was "this is your house". I wish we had stayed at the hacienda during our 5 day climbing trip. The best part was i learned to ride a horse which was most enjoyable. Hacienda La Alegria is truly a peaceful, beautiful and spacious retreat for the heart and soul.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nita-Pita74
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I spent two days at Hacienda La Alegria in the summer of 2010, and still find myself fantasizing about when I might be able to go back. I was the only guest for my first day there, which made for an interesting experience - the rest of the family was out of town, so it was just me and Gabriel. But on the trail and at the house, he was good at providing a balance of conversation, which gave me a lot of insight into Ecuadorian society, and also quiet time to read and reflect. More importantly, the hacienda is near beautiful places to ride - the scenery was breathtaking. I had been on a horse several times before but never had formal lessons, and Gabriel gave me enough instruction that I felt comfortable trotting and even cantering for parts of two long (4-6 hour) rides. The food was delicious, and the Hacienda is also a working dairy farm, so you can watch the cows being milked.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Beth10023
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quito
Hotel Casa de Hacienda La Jimenita
Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel
Hacienda Santa Ana
Hacienda Santa Ana
#2 of 25 in Cotopaxi Province

Been to Hacienda La Alegria? Share your experiences!