“Magical Place”

Ranked #4 of 256 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Mississippi
“Magical Place”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I visited the Hacienda la Alegria for the third time in September, and cannot wait to return! It is truly a magical place. The family Espinosa does everything possible to make each guest feel welcomed and valued. The property is just beaufiful - the perfect mix of gracious amenities and Ecuadorian charm. The staff truly wants to make each guest's stay wonderful and they deliveron that promise!

My room was large, bright, and very comfortable with a lovely view of the gardens and volcanoes. The food is just amazing, as is the time spent with the family and other guests in the lounge. A crackling fire, a glass of wine, and the sun setting over the volcanoes is a perfect way to end each day.

The working farm is amazing to see, as are the quaint villages, beautiful markets, and unbelievable landscapes. As an artist, the wealth of subject matter is amazing. Gabriel, Mauricio, and staff make every day a new adventure. I have never painted anywhere else that such care was taken of the artists. I WILL be back!

Room Tip: Several have fire places, so ask if one is available.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
milwaukee
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stayed at Hacienda La Alegria for three nights in August. The property is near Volcano Cotopaxi and is set in a beautiful valley surrounded by volcanoes and green hills. I was welcomed by Gabriel, the owner, on a foggy evening. My room had a view over the front garden, looking out over the mountains. Gabriel made a fire in the main sitting room and spent some time with me, showing me pictures of his prized horses and grandchildren.

The next morning, Gabriel gave me a short riding lesson (I know nothing about horses), and then took me on a three-hour ride around the area. The ride was fascinating. We rode through some villages and then up into the hills through a eucalyptus forest. I subsequently took two more rides during my stay to see the area. If you don't want to ride, the property is still excellent for hiking and just enjoying the house and grounds.

I chose to eat both lunch and dinner at the hacienda--the food was wonderful. Since I was the only guest for a couple nights, Gabriel and his wife, Pati, dined with me in their personal dining room. I felt welcome and looked after during my whole visit. As a solo traveler, I appreciated their kindness.

Staying at the hacienda provided an interesting window on the lifestyle of Ecuadoreans who live on these ranches--it was an authentic experience in an incredibly beautiful setting.

You will walk among lanes of calla lillies that grow wild in the volcanic soil--the rose garden climbs a hill at back of the house and you will see horses roaming among the flowers. It was an unforgettable visit and I hope to return.

Room Tip: My room was on the ground floor and had a view of the mountains and gardens.There was a large pictur...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

During my trip in Ecuador I spend one day at the hacienda. It was absolutely amazing. The driver was a bit early so I didn't have breakfast at my hotel. But, when I arrived at the hacienda a lovely breakfast was waiting. After breakfast we went on a ride for 4,5 hours. The horses where all in good shape, healthy and friendly. We finished at a different hacienda where we had a great lunch with home made cheese, soup and more. The owner showed us all the orchids in the cloudforest and informed up about the different plants and how they are used in local health. All in all a great experience I would definitely recommend to everyone visiting Ecuador!

Note that I did not see the rooms so rated them 'neutral' at 3 but judging from the rest of the hacienda..... Everything looked so great!

• Stayed August 2013
bariloche
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I visited Hacienda La Alegria with my boyfriend this summer and unfortunately we were only able to stay one night. Neither of us are horse back riders but were excited to experience some of the beautiful Ecuadorian countryside.

The family made horseback riding a seamless experience for two beginner riders. They were careful to make us feel safe and comfortable and explain anything we could need to know. We had a blast.

Everyone at Hacienda La Alegria was extremely accommodating and went out of their way to make us feel at home. The food was delicious and we really enjoyed the communal meals. We were able to meet some other very interesting travelers.

The Hacienda itself is gorgeous. The rooms were clean, comfortable and fit well with the ranch experience. We loved walking around the premise and seeing all the animals and the views are really amazing.

I would recommend this place to anyone looking to enjoy the Ecuadorian countryside and would love to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

I went to hacienda la alegría with My wife and two kids. We all rode horses and had a great time. My 6 year old son was initially afraid but with the staff's guidance he was Able to ride for more than an hour. The food is very good. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The scenery is beautiful. They make you feel at Home. I am definetely going back.

• Stayed July 2013
Johns Creek, Georgia
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I cannot imagine a better place for a horse enthusiast. We had a great time and we really are not horse people. Gabriel literally opens his home to you as his guest and what a gracious host. He spent hours with us showing us the grounds and the workings of his dairy farm. (That's really what goes on here, a working dairy farm.)

However, you can quickly tell his passion is horses. He can lead a ride from 2 hrs to nearly two weeks.

My wife was quite tentative about riding and he personally gave us ~1 hour lesson and calmed her fears. We had a great ride!

Not a lot to do here other than ride and relax so keep that in mind.

Lodging was comfortable and the food with local recipes was very good.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

If you are looking for unique horseback riding through the breathtaking mountains of Ecuador and a wonderful atmosphere, you should not miss staying at this Hacienda. The horses are excellent, the views incredible and, most importantly, this family-run place makes you feel truly at home in a very subtle manner.

We extended our stay by a couple of days. The food is excellent, the rooms are wonderfully cosy and have stunning views - and Gabriel and Patty are amazing people to meet.

We felt truly welcome and enjoyed every minute in this very poetic gem of Ecuador.
Thank you so much for those very special days.

Room Tip: The rooms are all lovely with wonderful views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quito
Hotel Casa de Hacienda La Jimenita
Hacienda Rumiloma
Hacienda Rumiloma
#39 of 111 in Quito
Casa Joaquin Boutique Hotel
Hacienda El Porvenir / Tierra del Volcan
Hacienda El Porvenir / Tierra de...
#1 of 27 in Cotopaxi Province
Hacienda Santa Ana
Hacienda Santa Ana
#2 of 27 in Cotopaxi Province
Hosteria-PapaGayo South
Hosteria-PapaGayo South
#2 of 10 in Machachi

Been to Hacienda La Alegria? Share your experiences!