“great place to stay and great people, but they rip you off on the airport transfer”

and 1 more site!
Hotel San Francisco de Quito
Ranked #47 of 116 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I had a very enjoyable time here, the place was clean, there was free drinking water available and all the staff were friendly. They were extra helpful in sorting out where my lost luggage had ended up and made phone calls to the airport and airlines on my behalf in Spanish to help source where they it was, and finally when they did arrive after 5 nights they kept it for the night for me even though I had moved to a hostel across town. Only fault is the $50 airport transfer, it is a must have as the airport is so far out of the city,however most other hostels and hotels charge between $20 and $30 for a transfer, but through this hotel I was given a much more expensive transfer. The driver nonetheless was very good and we communicated with what little of each others' languages we knew. This would be given full marks if it wasn't for the over priced transfer.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeremy G

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I am from Ecuador but now living abroad, however when I go to visit Quito, I make sure I get the most of it, especially since Quito is has a very beautiful colonial site.

Hotel San Francisco is one of the few places I can say that is good for many reasons, located right in the heart of Colonial Quito, from there you can walk just about every Church, museum and even the famous street call La Ronda where you can find lots of restaurants and bars full of live music and typical food and drinks from the area.

Another reason I like is the price, perfect for any budget, especially when I am taking friends there, this hotel offers great room layouts perfect for sharing rooms and keeping your privacy.

To me, it is like staying at a family's home, and the building itself, it preserves the history and the beauty that makes Colonial Quito a magical place.

If in Quito, I recommend San Francisco...hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Perfect for friends sharing a bedroom, great room layouts.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sonia V
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We spent several nights and enjoyed the experience. We arrived after dark into UIO and had prearranged for a hotel pickup from the airport to the hotel. The airport pickup was the best $55 bucks I have recently spent and recommend other travelers consider this option regardless of arrival time. Our room (32) was on their top level and had a great view. The staff did warn us there was no elevator and we did not fully take into account the effects of 5 flights of stairs and an altitude of 9000+ feet. If not in the best of shape I recommend traveller's consider lower level rooms. The front desk staff are bilingual. Javier was most helpful in helping us arrange our visit.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John D
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Room was clean and off main central area. Central area was the key attraction as well as an upper atrium. Breakfast was simple continental. Staff helpful. Discount for cash. Grocery next door for snacks, drinks, etc. Restaurants galore nearby.

Room Tip: Trouble climbing stairs? Ask for ground floor room. off reception. Very convenient.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed at Hotel San Francisco with a school group. Was very quaint and lovely, giving you the real feel of Old Quito.
The Courtyard in the middle of the rooms made you feel immersed with nature and ecuadorian culture.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This hotel is located in a great spot in historical downtown Quito. It also has a roof top with a great view of Quito. But most of the rooms have windows that open up to the inner court area that is noisy. The reception desk is downstairs and the phone or door bell ring all night long. I had to wear ear plugs every night. If you do have a window that opens to the outside it is noisy because of the traffic. The second night we arrived the front gate was lock so we had to ring the bell. The bell rang for 2 minutes before the front desk clerk let us in. That night they ran out of bottled water and it was too late to go to the store. Due to the high elevation it should be a high priority to insure the guests have water to drink. The first and last night we were there the desk clerk was very helpful but the second night the clerk was rude and refused to provide adequate service. The breakfast is ok but once again, depending on who is working the service can be poor. This hotel has such potential but until the noise issue is resolved and better staff training I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tmdaok
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This hotel was not only beautiful but so affordable. I arrived late at night and the hotel staff was very prompt in getting me in my room. He took the time to walk me to my room and lef me in. I had a great night sleep waking up in the morning to a really nice FREE breakfast. The hotel staff also helped me find a taxi driver to take me to see Quito. I was there for only one day and didn't have time to wonder around and take the bus. The hotel staff also offered to be available to the taxi driver to answer questions because he only spoke spanish and I did not. I found the hotel staff so wonderful and helpful. The price quoted online was the price I paid. I love this place and have recommended it to all my airline co workers to go see Quito and stay at this hotel. Another advantage is it is right in the middle of Old Town.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo