“correct but not great”

Hotel San Francisco de Quito
Ranked #45 of 113 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 19 May 2014

the room was ok and the breakfast included. Beside of this, wifi was working everywhere and I didn t sleep so well cause it s quite noisy at night, at least from the room I was. I am not I would return there even the price is affordable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Undoubtably a very good old town location and a lovely courtyard. It apparently one of the better value of Quito's hotels but we were a little disappointed. In particular don't expect much from the breakfast - it was very basic and the old eggs and supplemental costs for so many items was a bit crazy (see pics attached). Also it is cold in Quito and it was a shame no heaters were available, even to rent.

Good wifi, computers and tea/coffee in reception. Staff were mostly helpful and spoke good English.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed for one night at Hotel San Francisco de Quito. It was located on a cute street, and was even more beautiful inside. A gorgeous courtyard, plants all around, wooden doors...it had the feel I was hoping to find in Quito. The location was perfect; close to churches, restaurants, shops, museums. A short distance to La Ronda. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable. Free wifi. Breakfast is included, consisting of coffee/tea, juice, bread basket and jam and scrambled eggs. Other items are available for a price. Breakfast is held downstairs in the basement which was so neat with its curved doorways. It looked like it could have been a dungeon at one time. I would absolutely stay at Hotel San Francisco de Quito on a future trip! Great value! Friendly service (even though my Spanish is spotty, the gentleman at the front desk was very helpful. Even provided us with a map when we inquired about the bus station)

Room Tip: We were in room 11. It was on the second floor and very nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The location is ideal for exploring the old town. I loved the Spanish ambience, huge wooden doors and lovely plants. Desk staff were friendly and helpful - though for some their command of English was as limited as my Spanish. My room was large clean & comfortable but felt a little claustrophobic because the one window did not open & there was no air conditoner. Being on the ground floor meant no stairs but the downside was noise from the banos next door and light from the courtyard area. Always a good idea to bring ear plugs and sleeping mask for such eventualities! Breakfast consisted of orange cordial, coffee/tea, bread ( no toast), margarine and jam. "Scrambled eggs" was on offer but looked and smelt unpleasant. Extras such as cereal or other cooked sides were available for a price.
AIthough I'd reserved the room via a Booking.com using my credit card, arrived early as planned and paid as requested on checking out, was surprised to learn that I'd been reported to Booking.com as a "no show". Recommend walking up to Calle Venezuella ( approx. 200mtres) for a taxi to the airport ($27USD).

Room Tip: Think twice about a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I had a very enjoyable time here, the place was clean, there was free drinking water available and all the staff were friendly. They were extra helpful in sorting out where my lost luggage had ended up and made phone calls to the airport and airlines on my behalf in Spanish to help source where they it was, and finally when they did arrive after 5 nights they kept it for the night for me even though I had moved to a hostel across town. Only fault is the $50 airport transfer, it is a must have as the airport is so far out of the city,however most other hostels and hotels charge between $20 and $30 for a transfer, but through this hotel I was given a much more expensive transfer. The driver nonetheless was very good and we communicated with what little of each others' languages we knew. This would be given full marks if it wasn't for the over priced transfer.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeremy G
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I am from Ecuador but now living abroad, however when I go to visit Quito, I make sure I get the most of it, especially since Quito is has a very beautiful colonial site.

Hotel San Francisco is one of the few places I can say that is good for many reasons, located right in the heart of Colonial Quito, from there you can walk just about every Church, museum and even the famous street call La Ronda where you can find lots of restaurants and bars full of live music and typical food and drinks from the area.

Another reason I like is the price, perfect for any budget, especially when I am taking friends there, this hotel offers great room layouts perfect for sharing rooms and keeping your privacy.

To me, it is like staying at a family's home, and the building itself, it preserves the history and the beauty that makes Colonial Quito a magical place.

If in Quito, I recommend San Francisco...hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Perfect for friends sharing a bedroom, great room layouts.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sonia V
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We spent several nights and enjoyed the experience. We arrived after dark into UIO and had prearranged for a hotel pickup from the airport to the hotel. The airport pickup was the best $55 bucks I have recently spent and recommend other travelers consider this option regardless of arrival time. Our room (32) was on their top level and had a great view. The staff did warn us there was no elevator and we did not fully take into account the effects of 5 flights of stairs and an altitude of 9000+ feet. If not in the best of shape I recommend traveller's consider lower level rooms. The front desk staff are bilingual. Javier was most helpful in helping us arrange our visit.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple