“Courtyard: yes. Everything else: no.”

and 1 more site!
Hotel San Francisco de Quito
Ranked #44 of 114 Hotels in Quito
“Courtyard: yes. Everything else: no.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Hmmm. A lot of raves for this place, but I just don't get it. The positives: the courtyard is absolutely amazing and the wifi there is good. They'll hold your bag if you arrive early or leave late (as we did). The place was fairly quite at night, considering it's location right in old town. A room with two twin beds was only $60. The not-so-positives: the rooms need some serious updating. I understand the place is over 300 years old, but that doesn't mean the rooms can't be brought into the 21st century. It's not as though renovating the bathrooms or replacing the stained comforters would wreck the period ambience. Stone Henge is old but I don't want to sleep on it. Because the rooms are centered around an open courtyard, everyone wakes up at the same time: whenever the first guest wakes up and asks the front desk where the breakfast room is. The breakfast itself was mediocre. We stayed at a nicer hotel in Mariscal for the same price, nicer rooms, and a much better breakfast. So I'm not sure. It wasn't terrible. The bed itself was comfortable. But I have a feeling you could do a lot better for just a little bit more.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Huacas, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel as we wanted to be in the historic district and were there bringing a group of others with us. As we started communicating with the hotel about 6 months ahead of time, we had timely and helpful responses from Sara. This was a big part of our decision to come to this hotel. Once we arrived, Javier at the front desk was also very helpful, friendly, and went out of his way to welcome us. The staff throughout the rest of the hotel were also always friendly and courteous. The hotel itself is very nice - like many in the historic district, it has a wonderful charm and elegance. Our rooms were nice and clean. The breakfast each morning was good, and you can always order more than is included with your stay for a very low price. The woman working in the kitchen was also very nice, and always had a smile. Do be aware that this hotel does have rooms which face the street and one room that is right on the corner (I believe this may be #8). As this corner has a crosswalk, the sound that indicates it is safe to cross goes on all night long, and can be annoying if you do not have earplugs. Either request a room towards the back of the hotel or bring your earplugs. Other than that, this hotel is a great value and location for everything in the historic district!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mary B
Welwyn Garden City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is a charming hotel, very well located in the old town with a superb view of Quito by night from the top. The staff were friendly and helpful, they looked after our baggage for a couple of weeks til we were on our return, and we enjoyed the trip to The Mitad del Mundo and Otovalo that they organised. The room was comfortable and clean. We had planned to try another place in Quito at the end of our trip but decided to return to San Francisco.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Stow, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The location is fabulous - on a limited-access-to-cars street, but right in the colonial section of Quito. Within walking distance of the Plaza Grande and a couple cathedrals. All the rooms are unique and the hotel is beautifully done. Breakfast of scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, and rolls in the basement was filling. I traveled there with students and felt very comfortable and safe.

Room Tip: Rooms were all good, but not handicapped-accessible if you need that. All rooms had windows to the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Senora01775
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here upon aerial in Quito and were thrilled with the location. Walk outside of this hotel and you are in the heart of the Old Town. All of the key sites in the town were within several blocks of this quaint hotel. The room was clean with comfortable beds. It was a little dark due to the lack of windows but we were out all day long and only went back to the room to sleep. The only drawback would be that the water was quite lukewarm.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed in 2 different rooms during my 2 part stay in Quito. There is a lot of variety in the rooms and depending on which rooms there can be lots of street noise, or none at all. I was in room 19, it had 3 beds, very comfortable, no noise other than other guests. I was also in room 9, which was located above the lobby. This was noisier because of other guests. It had 2 beds and was comfortable. I had friends who complained of the street noise in room 8. I travel with ear plugs and a sleep mask, so that I can eliminate most of these types of complaints.

In terms of cleanliness, it was above average, I saw complaints of smells in bathrooms, I had no such problems given I was aware of the smell that putting all toilet paper in the trash could be more than people might be used to. This is typical for many countries, so nothing new and if you comply, no flushing problems arise. Trash was always emptied each day, so no problem!

I found it to be a lovely hotel, with lots of nooks and places to relax and get away from the outside world. It had several levels and if found you could make it all the way up to the top there was a great view of the city at night. It has a great view of the churches and the statue of the Virgin of Quito on the hill!

This hotel is in the heart of the historic old downtown Quito, near several of the churches. We easily walked to many of the sites from the hotel. The hotel has a gate that is monitored in and out, so I felt safe while I was there. The breakfast was eggs, breads, and juices. I found it to be very good by South American standards and certainly better than some here in the states.

We had to go to another hotel nearby for evening meals, or we could walk down to Rhonda Street and find lots of places to eat and enjoy the nightlife there. I was traveling with a group and we got a group rate, so I can't comment on price and value, but I would say I would pay $120-$150 for this type of room in the states, so anything in that sort of range would be a deal.

The hotel seems like just 10-30 rooms, but I think it has at least 50 and they are all configured differently. The staff took care of any requests we had. Wifi worked fine given the number of people using it. The hotel is very old and I was impressed at how we'll kept up it was. Enjoy your stay here in downtown Quito! The pictures on their website are authentic, don't expect up scale, but do expect clean, comfortable and convenient!

Room Tip: Rooms 6-8 were street side and had more noise. Rooms in the teens seemed to be great! Higher rooms...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TeacherDoris
Canton, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

The hotel was a good introduction to Quito, and to Ecuador, as it was where we stayed our first two nights in Ecuador after landing in Quito. We loved the courtyards and the architecture - the entire building made us feel like we had gone back in time! We had to climb lots of stairs to our room, which was on the 4th floor. It was a good workout, for sure! Our room was big, and even had a kitchenette, but the bathroom was quite small. The bed wasn't very comfortable, as I think the mattress was pretty old, flat, and sagged in the middle. The included breakfast was only average, but we were thankful to be able to eat something before leaving to go wander the big city in the morning. The staff was friendly and helpful, and we felt safe. The common areas, breakfast room, and our room were clean. The price was very reasonable, but our 2-night stay was enough. If you aren't looking for luxury, and you want a little culture and architecture, then this is a good starting or ending place for your trip to Ecuador.

Room Tip: Make sure you know where your room is - you may have to climb lots of stairs!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple