“Sweet hostel close to La Ronda”
Review of La Posada Colonial

La Posada Colonial
Ranked #36 of 272 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We stayed at Hostal La Posada at the start of Semana Santa. First time in Ecuador and first time in a hostel sharing a room with friends. My friend arranged the entire trip and also for Jaime (the manager) to pick us up at the airport (for an additional charge). We headed straight to the hostel then to our huge room. We had 4 beds and our own bathroom and shower. The room also had a small balcony and awesome views. There is hot water, wifi, a rooftop patio, kitchen and a large common area. Jaime is very knowledgeable about Quito and very helpful. It is maybe 50 feet from La Ronda.

Jaime and Miguel were very accommodating on our way back from Montanita when our 10-hour bus arrived at 4am. The hostel was completely booked for Semana Santa but Miguel allowed us to stay in the common area until the morning when things opened up. Jaime also arranged for a taxi to take us back to the airport. A very nice hostel and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for La Posada Colonial

Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stayed in this hostel for 5 nights. It is perfectly located in the beautiful old town of Quito, just few minutes to Plaza Santo Domingo, where you can also take the local Bus to Mariscal.
The rooms are huge, although the bathrooms are really small - but clean.
The owner is really friendly, and they have a reasonably prices airport shuttle service, which is more reliable then local taxis.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mirko3000
Reviewed 29 March 2013

This is a very inexpensive place and you can go out to a nice dinner, probably several times, on what you save in lodging. However, if you want a comfortable bed, soft pillow, fresh-smelling sheets, and helpful staff, this is a poor choice. We never saw Jaime the manager, and his fill-in was busy using the Internet to stay connected with friends on Facebook. Arranging an early-morning taxi to the airport was an iffy proposition that involved waking up a sleepy-eyed, grumpy staffer to call a taxi. The doors are locked tight at night, so you can't get out of the place without someone to open the barracade. The sink in our bathroom leaked, though fortunately there was a drain underneath for most of the water that ran onto the floor. No hot water. Towels were razor-thin. Walls were bare. While some reviewers like the location, I personally thought it was a bit questionable, after seeing the dubious people hanging out on the narrow street outside. Honestly, given the price, we should have known better. One night was more than enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I stayed here for more then 2 months in this hostel, and it felt like my home. I loved the building, the super friendly owner Jaime, the good admotsphere and it was very well located. I had spanish lessons in the old town (www.quitoantiguospanish.com) at walking distance, and did volunteerwork in the new town which was easy to reach by troley bus, and around the corner is La Ronda, where they have music and street-performances every Friday and Saturday. I felt very safe in the hostel and yes, you have to be allert in the streets of the big city, but the old town to me is the safest place in Quito.
You can store your luggage if you want to leave, there is computer and wifi, a roof top with nice views and a patio where I spent many hours reading.
In the months I stayed in this hostel, I saw people coming and going...and coming back :-)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Nice building perfectly located in the old town. The private room was spacious and clean. The Manager was very friendly and helpful. At the time we visited the kitchen was filthy but this the only downfall of this hostel. Would definitely stay there again!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2013

For $8/night/person this hostel is right on the money! It's a charming old house with creaky wooden floors, huge windows, a well stocked (and clean) kitchen, a kick-butt roof-top patio with a breathtaking view of El Panecillo, and every room is different so have a look around if you can. Some have more storage than others.

Jaime is SO nice. I really can't understand how people come to a Spanish-speaking country and then dock a hostel on Tripadvisor because it doesn't have English speaking staff. Seriously?? If your frustrated b/c they don't speak your language thats YOUR problem! Jaime was patient with my pidgeon-spanish and very accommodating whenever I approached him with issues I was having.

As per another reviewer, I didn't see any guests running the desk ever. Rather Gabriella and Jaime switched on and off shifts and kept the place clean and smelling like lemon wood polish (I love that smell!) Another thing I can't understand is when reviewers whine about unclean shared bathrooms when that often depends on who just left the bathroom before you. They were cleaned twice daily and usually smelled clean. Remember, $8/person!

Being a big old house, its not heated, but that's typical of Quito. (Remember, $8/person-they'd have to charge a LOT more to heat this house. If you want heat your gonna have to look to the Hilton or something.) The beds are nice and warm with thick heavy sheets. Also, some pillows are wonderful but some are super lumpy. But I know if you ask, Jaime would switch a lumpy one out for you.

Our room wasn't cleaned every day, but we don't mind that because we don't like people having access to our stuff. But I KNOW that if you asked they'd be happy to clean your room for you. (yup, just $8/person!)

I also love that the front door of the hostel is locked at all times and that Jaime and Gabriella answer the buzzer meaning that only paid guests are allowed access.

One suggestion I'd like to make is that they change the luggage storage situation. When we went for a 5 day hike they kept our stuff in a room that doesn't lock. Even worse, one of the dorm rooms actually has a curtained off screen to this storage room so whoever sleeps in that room has access to the storage room! EEK! Jaime! Change this immediately!

One other suggestion too. Although the hostel is generally a quiet one (no bar-not a party hostel and Fri/Sat nights being an exception (the entire neighborhood is noisy then)) I did kinda irk me when I was trying to read/write/work during the day and loud, angry, rock music was being played from the shared computer and not just by guests. Please allow the the hostel to be a refuge from the general noisiness of outside and use an IPOD or earphones.

And yes, the hot water is VERY fickle! Again, very common in Ecuador. Then again, it's only...yeah yeah, you know!

We loved, however, how we could go left out of the hostel for a hip, historic, cobble-stoned, 300 year-old-houses-converted-to-restaurants-with-live-music neighborhood (with gringo prices attached, of course) or take a right and be able to find $1.50 almuerzos and a myriad of tiendas.

Wi-FI was good everywhere in the hostel except the kitchen and Room 10 (on the roof-which has other perks like an amazing view!) This is important to us because we work and blog online a lot.

So 4 Stars for:
cleanliness
charm
comfy beds
kind, welcoming owner
good kitchen
roof top patio with views
secure front door
great location
Good Wi-FI
Quiet during the week at night

Minus one star for
Unlocked/accessible storage room
Music (and sorry, BAD music –Lincoln Park?) played out loud during the day

I was really sad to leave ! If I return to Quito in the future, I'll definitely be staying here. You can pay cheaper in the area but you may not get the cleanliness, charm, and hospitality. It's really a very good value!

Room Tip: Room 10 (not room 11) is the one on the roof and it's really pretty cool! Some rooms have more s...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thriftydrifter
Reviewed 27 December 2012

The location of this hostal and the price are the best we have found in Quito. The room we were given was a huge room with four beds, a shower, and a balcony with a beautiful view. Unfortunately, we did feel a little cold but I guess it´s because the room was so big. The owner is very nice and the staff very helpful. We were always given fresh towels and soap upon request. They also have a kitchen but Quito is so cheap that you might as well eat out. The wi-fi was so fast we downloaded a season of Grey´s Anatomy! All in all very good value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple