“Everything is ok except that there is no hot water”
Review of La Posada Colonial

La Posada Colonial
Ranked #34 of 285 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Everything is good. The price for a single room is only USD11. It is very near to the old city area. The room is nice and clean. The only thing that I have problem with the hostel, and it is very important, is that there is no hot water for shower.

So, I would highly recommend this hostel for those who can take a cold shower under cool weather (check Quito's climate by yourself), or for those who are not planning to take any shower at all in Quito

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank tsesim

Reviewed 13 February 2014

The staff were incredibly rude and unwilling to help us. We asked the night before we left for a cab to be arranged for the morning...that didn't happen. They tried to charge us $44 when we owed $36 according to our booking. The walls are paper thin. There was some sort of party down the street until 1 am one night and it sounded like a nightclub in our room. The location is pretty sketchy, we heard that someone from the hostel was robbed a block away. It was a cool building, but other then that we did not have a good experience and would not return.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Bt837
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I booked a room at this hostel 5 days in advanced, when I went to check-in they told me they were full for that day. They had made a mistake, which is fine, I told them I understood and they offered to take me to another hostel for that night, and I was to return in the morning and check in for the next 2 nights I had booked with them. I was taken to a really dodgy hostel with terrible bathrooms and nasty little bed-bugs. It was impossible to sleep because there were a bunch of drunk people throwing a party in the room next to mine. I decided to get dressed and I joined them, so overall it turned out to be a fun night. I like to keep a positive attitude when I travel. However, when I returned the next day to Hostal La Posada Colonial they told me they were still fully booked and told me to hit the road. I had no intention of going back to the hostel they had recommended because I needed sleep badly, so I was pretty much left alone in the middle of Quito without a place to sleep. I had to walk from hotel to hotel until I found something I liked. It's all part of the adventure I guess. But, I think the hotel did a horrible job with my specific situation, so they deserve a horrible review. I cannot recommend them to someone else. Making a mistake once is acceptable, twice, well that's just not really caring for your guests. If you book this hotel, make sure you call in advanced to confirm. I was not the only one this happened to, there were a few people in the dodgy hotel who had been transferred there. We all thought it might be a business strategy, since the owners seem to be friends.

Room Tip: If you make a reservation, call to confirm.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is the first of a number of reviews from our recent adventure, Quito to Bolivia. My wife and I met some interesting travellers at the Posada Colonial, lazing early evening with a beer on the roof terrace – (great views). We had expected the weather to be a lot colder in early March than it was – In fact I had to take shelter away from the direct sun. Jamie owner/manager came to pick us up at Quito’s new airport which was 90mins out of town at a very reasonable $30 with no fuss even though our flight was over an hour late.

Our room was right opposite the stairs on the first floor, it had 3 beds and so plenty of room for the 2 of us, however, the bathroom was a small box like construction within the room up 2 steps from the bedroom floor, not very safe when getting up in the night. One thing that concerned my wife about this room was that behind her bed headboard was a curtain that opened onto a store room which we found had an unlocked door to the main corridor – (this needs blocking off Jamie)
I would concur with other reviews about the noise at night, although our room was at the back of the property there was a dog in the adjacent building chained, what sounded like, to a piece of metal corrugated sheet and dragging it around in addition to a repeater car alarm on one night – (out of hostels control)

Jamie was really helpful and pointed us in the right direction for the city sights and a real find just at the bottom of the short hill and around the corner from the hostel is La Ronda, a street where there is live music and street-performances every Friday and Saturday evening – In addition to the street performers there is a myriad of interesting eateries along the street that also have live music - it is well worth a visit!

There was no inclination to us of any danger around the Hostel in the day or evening and there were sufficient inexpensive eating places and shops within 100m.

Unfortunately my wife really started to suffer with what we assumed was altitude sickness so after 3 days we cut short our stay in the city and moved to Banos lower down. Even though I had pre-booked the Posada from back in England for a longer stay when it came to checking out they only charged for the days we were there.

It is a really good location to explore the old town and is close to transport links to other parts of the city. Having had the experience subsequently of 30 other hostels over the next 3 months I would conclude that if in town we would book again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roy_W_Edwards
Reviewed 23 July 2013

In 2006 we stopped 3 times at this cozy Posada where we met that nice couple always ready to give us the best. Sometime a place is not just about a bed or a toilet.
So on our way back from Galapagos we decided to stop again. Not much change except the mattress who was a lot more comfortable that I remember. We stayed 3 nights in a ensuite (10$/pers) and still enjoyed it. You have hot shower, towel & soap and WiFi, a balcony on the roof and a share kitchen.
The old couple is not there anymore and the young man doing All the work, do its best, but at my opinion it is to much for one person ( like, he has to lock the door and run out to buy his meal, do the cleaning, open the door to all even for the ones leaving at 5 am, he has to get up....) So when you get a little of compassion on you, you forget small inconvenience for a only 8 to 10$ for 1 night
If you happen to go, and I suggest you to do so, remember it is a old building all in wood and because of it, it is echo. So if you chat after 23:00h or walk with your big boots, or are with a dozen of friends, please remember, may be someone is sleeping.

Room Tip: You are walking distance from the historical center and the transport service. If you need to lea...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We wanted a cheap place in Quito just to lay our heads in between trips. Also somewhere we could keep a bag or two when we were in Galapagos and hiking in the Andes.

The owner is friendly but we hardly saw him, the main guy is also friendly but very hard to find and is very vague (maybe always stoned!).

We planned to stay one night, then come back for 3 nights, then come back a month later. The first night we got there and they had double booked our room with bathroom so they gave us one with a shared bathroom.

The bed was lumpy and saggy and the sheets popped off the corners. The shared bathroom ran out of loo paper and there was a queue for showers in the morning.

We are not light sleepers, but you can hear loads of street noise all night. Some rooms are better than others we found.

We already had plans to leave the next morning so we put our stuff in their locked storeroom and went hiking. We knew we had to come back, and we thought we would give them the benefit of the doubt and that maybe our next room would be better.

We got back late after our hiking tour a few days later and checked in, they gave us a pick of rooms, after hiking a volcano that day all we wanted was a hot shower. They offered us 3 large rooms with tiny bathrooms. The hot water ran out straight away, and we asked about it, and the guy just said to try again, which we did - no hot water. Then I went to move the curtains and found that behind one bed, there was no wall. There was just a curtain separating the room and the "locked" storage room where our laptops had been stored for the last few days.

Either way we couldn't leave our stuff in such a dodgy storage lockup, so the next morning we moved to Chicago hostel in a gorgeous part of the city it was only $24 a night for a lovely clean, new private room for two with a great kitchen and strong wifi.

The difference between these too places is like night and day and Chicago is only $4 more a night between us.

In 15 months of travel Posada Colonial would be in the bottom 3 places, you can do so much better with a little research.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms near the street and stay somewhere else altogether
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kungfukitty_oz
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed at this hostal located near Quito's La Ronda historical district for about a week. The rooms are spacious but no-frills. The rooms with private bathrooms are a great deal though the bathroom was microscopic. There is hot water, you just have to let it run for 5 minutes to get up to temperature. The non-private bathrooms were huge and usually free so you could use those too.
I liked how we met lots of fellow travelers here in the communal areas like kitchen, foyer with computer, and rooftop terrace. The terrace has a wonderful view and is a great place to gather with a bottle of wine and soak up stories and the general good vibe of the place.
Jaime, the owner-operator, was helpful and will pick you up at the airport (the new airport in Quito is now 90 minutes away) for $30. This service was invaluable when you are groggy and tired and getting off the plane at 11 at night. Also, we stored a large box of goods we purchased at the market here for $1 a day while we traveled around Ecuador. Then we paid Jaime to drive our large box to the airport for our outgoing flight. He was on time and reliable, we really appreciated his time and willingness to help us -- such a nice guy whose generosity I won't soon forget.
The location is OK. Yes, the street can be a little sketchy at night but I felt secure as the front door is always locked and there is always a staff member to let you in or out. The street can be a little noisy. We were awakened to car alarms on several occasions and one night a procession/parade of some sort at 4:30am! I looked at it as the charm of Ecuador and a unique experience. Bring earplugs if you have a room facing the street. Our travel companion had a room away from the street and said it was quieter. There is a communal kitchen and tables in the unused dining room if you want to make your own food. We enjoyed making new friends from around the world in the kitchen and rooftop terrace.
The location is just around the corner from La Ronda where we ate good dinners and lunches everyday. There is no breakfast at this hostal but you aren't far from food options and cafes, all within walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends