“Everything was perfect.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Quito
Tandayapa Bird Lodge
Ranked #58 of 115 Hotels in Quito
Australia
“Everything was perfect.”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

This lodge is in the middle of nowhere, frequented by more birds and hummingbirds than you can believe. The only access was on foot or by mule but also the accommodation rooms and the food was top class. I cannot believe it is possible to do this on this location. It is only possible because the staff are top class. Give it a go, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: As usual pay the money for the best. We did and it was SO much worthwhile.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank SKImember

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
canada
Reviewed 9 May 2011

This is a very special place! Following a steady upward climb of approximately 20 minutes from road to lodge, we were delighted to take off our hiking boots and settle into our room, which was actually quite new, very clean and large, and included an entire back wall of glass overlooking the cloud forest. The alfresco dining is another short hike up from the group of rooms we stayed in, but the reward is hummingbirds, many, many species and all in abundance, at the feeders surrounding the dining area. While the trails on the property did not produce many birds for us, 6:30 a.m. at the dining area promises not only all the coffee you want, but also tons of birds within 10 to 20 feet of your java! But a great lodge is often the result of special people and this lodge has Estalon and his wife. From carrying our heavy duffles up and down the trail, to pointing out every bird he could possibly find for us, to serving up meals dressed in his finest black-and-white checked vest and dress slacks, Estalon is a gentle (and silent) warrior. I promise you, if you stay for over two days you will want to bring him home with you! Meals here are simple, but tasty and yes, feel free to have a glass of wine with your dinner! The famous Nono-Mindo birding road runs through here (well, back down at the bottom of the mountain that is) so it's an excellent idea to get a bird guide and transportation and spend a day birding this road. We stayed three nights and two full days. Perfect.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wearytraveler07
Newport, Oregon
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I have visited Tandayapa Bird Lodge before, but it has been a few years, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is even better! first, the hummingbirds at the feeders are truly the best such display in the world. Really. There literally are 50 hummers present simultaneously for viewing, and the species count per day was 18 during my Feb stay. The booted racket-tails will land on your finger if you are near the feeders. You dont need binoculars!!
The rooms in the hotel are clean and tidy. I did not detect any mold as is commonplace in all of the other Ecuador cloud forest lodges that I have visited.
Birding day trips from the lodge allow you to visit Silanche, Milpe, Yanacocha, and other bird preserves.
The lodge trails are in good shape, and during my stay some powerful woodpeckers were roosting every evening in the dead alders behind the lodge. it was easy to see them at dusk, just by stepping out the lodge door and looking up the hill.
The meals at the lodge were quite good and Ecuadorean. Soup course with every lunch and dinner.

• Stayed February 2011
7 Thank OregonBirder95
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2010

This lodge is entirely focussed on birdwatching and the hummingbird feeders around the patio are always abuzz with activity (we saw fifteen species). Accommodation is basic, the rooms are very small, but comfortable. The food is not elaborate but lovingly prepared and more than adequate - especially the soups. The manager and all the staff were exceptionally friendly and always willing to help.

Our guide, Gabriel and driver, Antonio, were great fun to be with and Gabriel was very knowledgeable. Antonio was pretty good at spotting birds too, but could speak no English. We went on four trips close by and a little further afield and saw many new birds.

If you are a birder, this is a great place to stay for a few days, but you need a guide for the trips. The lodge has trails but they were steep and slippery and without a guide you will have difficulty finding the birds.

Even if you are not a birder, a day watcxhing the hummingbirds can provide much enjoyment.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank What
Yorkshire
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We saw a lot of hummingbird feeders at various lodges during our three week stay in Ecuador, but these were the best ever! We spotted 14 species without any effort. They also feed a Giant Antpitta which is great for photographs. The food is good, the trails are good, the rooms are excellent. It's so safe here you don't even get a key to your door! There was a expert volunteer here (Leo) who helped us find birds- including a quetzal- for free. Tandayapa is a must for birders , and it combines well with Mindo which is only an hour away. Our itinerary was organised by Andes Conexion - a brilliant company that helped me massively when I had an accident.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Des Langford
Quito
Reviewed 16 April 2010

First i have to say, that this report is just about a day trip, which I organized by myself. I had to take a bus at 7:35 and arrived at Tandayapa at 9:20. I did not go all the way from the main street to Tandayapa village but took one of the pick-ups to take me up. The people here are really nice and normally you give them like 25cents for taking you up, eventhough mine didn't want my money... I think this is a really good advice, because otherwise you have to walk over an hour, no matter how fit you are (I'm 16 and very fit!)
So I arrived at the Lodge and went at the very first to the "Hide" hoping to encounter some bird, but I was too late and since there hadn't come people in the last days they hadn't put new food out...
So I went back to the Lodge and then walked down almost all of the trails and even a little part of the Nono-Mindo Road.
Then I talked with a volunteer worker, who soon became my friend and he showed me some birds around the Lodge...
I spent some time, checking the hummers, but I'd already seen them before.
I got a total of 55 birds I could identifie by myself, and many birds, like Furnariids were seen but I couldn't identifie the exact species...
Included in this birds were:
Sickle-winged Guan, Red-billed Parakeet, , 14 hummerspecies, Masked trogons, Red-headed Barbet, Crimson-rumped Toucanet, Powerful Woodpecker, Immaculate Antbird, Andean Cock-of-the-rock, and as a real special bird, because it hadn't been seen since 2006 in this area, a Black Solitaire. All birds were sitting and allowed very good views.
The field-guide "Birds of Northwest Ecuador" is very helpful.
Overall this trip was a full success the only thing that wasn't that good is, that you have to walk alot, if you want to find the birds...

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Maffong
Toronto
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We arranged the 3 day/2 night private birding package with Tandayapa Birding Lodge as part of a 23-day vacation throughout Ecuador. Reservations went smoothly and everything met our expectation of a remote, high altitude “cloud forest” experience. An expert bird guide and driver were provided from Tropical Birding (www.tropicalbirding.com). They were excellent! Over the three days, we saw 175 different species of birds – non stop birding from 5:30 am to sunset at 6 p.m. Well worth the money.

The lodge is inviting and comfortable. The rooms are clean; bedding is basic but there were enough wool blankets to keep us warm. Unfortunately, our room had a damp, mouldy smell which was disturbing. The meals are fixed and the food is not bad, but not the highlight.

Views over the treetops of the forested valley are incredible from the lodge, which is perched 50-60 meters above where vehicles are parked. Fortunately, strong men carried our luggage up the concrete trail to the room. The trails are also often slippery so bring appropriate footwear; also in this wet high altitude environment, it is necessary to be reasonably fit, cautious and agile. Overall, we enjoyed this experience very much.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank UrsaMinor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quito
Las Terrazas de Dana Lodge
#1 of 4 in Tandayapa
Sachatamia Lodge
Sachatamia Lodge
#3 of 20 in Mindo

Been to Tandayapa Bird Lodge? Share your experiences!