“Nice budget hotel in good location”
Review of Hostal Alcala

Hostal Alcala
Ranked #28 of 247 Quito B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for one night at hostal alcala. We were in room 12 which is on the upper floor and is nice - has a patio area in front of it, and the room gets good natural light (I hate staying in dark rooms).

The room is basic but has everything you need including wifi and TV. The breakfast was fine - fruit and eggs, better than some places we have stayed.

There is a wonderful Italian restaurant called Cosa Nostra, really cosy ambience and great food. So so much nicer than the touristy places around foche plaza. Turn right out of the hotel and walk 5 mins, it feels like you are walking in wrong direction, the hotel owner recommended it.

The rooms on upper floor are much better than lower floor which I think will be quite dark.

• Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had a nice stay and they were very accommodating. Jorge was great but does not understand English and therefore I could not make another reservation the second time I wanted to stay. The owner Monic was there in the morning. As mentioned in another review, she is a very warm person, informative and most helpful. Make sure to speak her if you make a reservation. I will stay again on my next stay in Quito!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Orit R
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My stay during the 2nd week of November was about a week. Although Jorge the Manager did not speak English I understood whatever he spoke. He was very helpful. I met Monic the owner during the latter part of my stay. She is a very warm person, very informative and helpful. Monic lives in a unit on the upper floor.
There were many families during my stay. One can cook in the large kitchen which has all the amenities. European breakfast is included in the rent which is plenty.
Recreation areas are large and dedicated to each activity. Ex: TV room has a large screen and many seats. Computer room is for free internet use and reading room.
The decor is very ethnic and natural.
The single room is small but very clean. The bathroom was bright and clean.
A large mirror on the wall would be a great advantage.
Every room opens out to a little patio or garden area. There is plenty of privacy. Also a very secure place.
The location is very central to many places of tourist interests, shopping, parks, and public transportation. Plaza Foch, the party area is just around the block. The tourist information too is 3 minutes away. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby.
I am a frequent visitor to Ecuador. Al Cala is my favourite place in Quito.
It was like a second home for me.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main floor are good if you have big luggage. The rooms on the upper floor have sit out...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kalhari
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Please read the other review too. I want the Maple and they turn me to their other hostel.

when i got there the room was only for two days instead of the four day they confirmed.

if you book this hostel you better have another back up hostel.

Then they laughed about it. Very rude people.

lucky I was able to find another hostel. Do not count on them.

Room Tip: finds another place
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank floridaphil32744
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We had a reservation at the Posada del Maple, but they sent us to this hostel.

A few thoughts:
Near the restaurants/bars, but I wouldn't have felt safe there if I were a woman traveling alone.
Good hot water and pressure, but the bathroom was smelly.
I was happy they had eggs at breakfast with the toast, juice, and coffee.
Wifi worked well enough for us.
The same staff member was there the whole time we were there 2 nights/3 days and she tried to be very helpful, but didn't seem to know much about how to answer our questions...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kokusai
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The rooms are modern, clean, mine was bright. Breakfast is included, Wi-Fi is available, and the place is convenient to the trendy Mariscal area. Service was sullen or non-existent. But most of all, you can hear the nearby club as if you were there. I had an early flight the next day, I didn't manage to sleep a minute--with earplugs! So if you're into sleeping at night, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: There may be a sound-proof padded room in the basement I'm not aware of.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Patricia C
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We made a reservation and got it confirmed even twice-the second time the day of arrival. But when we showed up they pretendet not to know anything about it. No excuses no nothing. Very rude! So if you want to be sure to get a room, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple