“Has made my visit to Quito Special!”
Review of Folklore Hotel

Folklore Hotel
Ranked #91 of 115 Hotels in Quito
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
“Has made my visit to Quito Special!”
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Will be staying a total of 27 days while Tour around Ecuador !!!
The first week was grand, the family lives on premises so get coziness , with rabbit nibbling in front yard
Exceptionally clean , convenient walk to markets, restaurants (Akasha)& other neighborhoods !
Bernardo gave a nice discount for my total - reasonable for a private room & bath . Calls to USA & Canada free , made myself at Home
Plenty of spaces to sit outside .
Highly recommend -----

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank dolphiny1954
folkloreQuito, Gerente at Folklore Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2015
Dear guests, is very comfortable to read comments from people who felt at home in our warm hotel. Just we want to say thank you very much and we will be very happy to see them again. Best regards. Hotel Folklore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Vancouver
Reviewed 22 November 2011

The Folklore Hotel is located in a pretty former colonial home which has been converted into a hotel. I spent three nights there on a recent rip to Quito and was thoroughly satisfied with the hotel and the service I received. Bernardo, the owner, always went out of his way for me and made several helpful recommendations on places I should visit in Quito and elsewhere in Eduador. I arranged airport pickup through the hotel, and sure enough a taxi was there waiting for me at the airport even though I arrived close to midnight.

The Folklore is located on a quieter street in La Floresta, a short walk from the Mariscal Sucre. It's a ten minute cab ride, or a forty minute walk, from the Old Town. There are several upscale restaurants closeby, as this is one of the nicest, and safest, areas of the city.

The common area is very comfortable, with sofas and a warm fireplace for the cool Quito evenings. The free internet was a nice bonus. There was even a Magic Jack attached to the computer, which means free long distance phone calls for travellers from the US or Canada. I paid $29US for a clean, bright room overlooking the street. The rate included breakfast in the cozy restaurant of eggs and all you can eat coffee, tea, yogurt, juice, toast, and fruit. One night Bernardo had a birthday party in the restaurant for his cousin. Many of his family members were there for the party, and he graciously invited me to join them. It was a very enjoyable evening, to say the least, and one of my best memories of Ecuador.

Come to Quito! There's lots to see! Stay at the Folklore!

Gracias, Bernardo!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Rick N
folkloreQuito, Propietario at Folklore Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2015
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This place is "run" by the owner and his family who live on the premises. It is a firetrap first of all and looks as if it could be a disaster waiting to happen. I stayed there when I arrived in Quito for two nights unfortunately and left my bag there while away for a week. Owner is verbally abusive, gives no service and when he does, he begrudges what questions he answers, appears to hate the business he is in, is often not present and no one ( like his woman partner) appears to speak anything but Spanish. The others in the house give no sign, verbally or any body language communication that they wish to be helpful.

It is a disaster. Very bad. I am an independent traveler and have wandered around Ecuador and generally found hospitality and good places to stay. This one is not for anyone and should be put out of business.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Susan S
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2011

the folklore is a great location if you want to be some what secluded from the noisy mariscal area of town...although the folklore is close enough to the mariscal district, when you're ready to go! the free wifi was a great help, i was even able to make calls from my iphone using my skype account because the reception was so clear! but a computer is available too, if needed. breakfast is included and bernie and his staff are always very helpful and so friendly too. bernie (the owner) even provided me with a protection whistle, to carry around because he knew i was traveling alone (although i never needed it). the hotel is quaint, warm and cozy, and if you want a fire in the cute fireplace just ask. i plan to return to quito within the next year and plan to again stay at folklore:) next time, i will take bernie and his staff up on some of their amazing adventure packages offered...at a great deal too...and you even get a room discount if you book packages through them! great place!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank jodielynnrose
Fargo, ND
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I stayed here for a total 3 nights in March. Bernardo was very helpful with my questions, he gave me a map, had some good suggestions on what to do where to go, etc. The nice thing is that I went to Otavalo for a couple of days, they stored my larger backpack, without a problem when I returned. Very laid back atmosphere, coming and going without a problem. If I return to Quito, I will stay there again. Location was a little boring, but that is a good thing, because it meant it was a safe area!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank mountj01
United States
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We spent three different nights here and it was good value; good price, clean, hot water, friendly staff. Helped us with a few issues we had as well.

Room Tip: ask for non street facing room
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I am currently writing this review at 1:00 in the morning from another hotel in Quito, after being completely abandoned by Folklore Hotel tonight. I had a confirmed reservation prior to arrival, with an expected airport pickup also confirmed. Unfortunately my flight from the US was delayed by a little over an hour, which I emailed twice to the hotel to relay this information and did not hear anything back. No one was waiting as promised for me at the airport in Quito, after walking around the area several times looking for anyone with my name on a sign as I had been advised. I ended up taking an airport taxi to the Folklore hotel, which I fortunately asked to wait for me on the street, as I rang at the street gate repeatedly and no one answered after about ten minutes of this. (Folklore is not located on a street I would want to be abandoned on at midnight by myself.) I understand this appears to be a family run small hotel, so maybe a late arrival is inconvenient, but if you cannot accommodate late arrivals, this should be CLEARLY stated up front, and certainly communicated to a guest who is planning on arriving that night when I am advising you I am running late due to events beyond my control. I had the taxi eventually take me to an overpriced chain hotel as I did not know what else to do at that time of night, not having a phone. (Of note, I called the phone at Folklore once I arrived at my new hotel, and no one answered anyway). Awful experience and would never recommend this place or try to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank cmdtravel
We can only apologize for what happened that night, but that night we had an emergency and had to leave urgently and there was a worker to help us in the hotel. It was a very ocacional situation.