“Good enough for a quick stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Othello

Hotel Othello
Ranked #87 of 114 Hotels in Quito
New York
“Good enough for a quick stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

I spent 3 nights in Quito before going on a diving cruise in the Galapagos and this hotel satisfied my needs - inexpensive in a very safe and central location. I don't want to waste more money as the dive cruise already cost me an arm and a leg. I arrived in the middle of the night - as most airlines coming from the US and luckily there is a 24 hour cafeteria just a half a block away from the hotel. Hilton Hotel Colon is just 25 paces away and this is very strategic since most day/city tour agencies pick up the customer here.

Other Plusses: Lot of restaurants around - local and foreign like Micky D's or KFC. Very helpful and friendly staff. Close to park with market. Reliable WiFi.

Negative: You need to turn on hot shower for some time before it becomes hot. After that no problem.

I would not rely on the arrival transfer though as the hotel botched this one up. I requested for an airport pickup and it never arrived. You can just use the airport taxi service which is also safe. Just after exiting customs there are 2 taxi service counters. Tell them your hotel and ask the price and pay there immediately. They will call the taxi service for you.

Room Tip: Avoid street side rooms , though they have a good view of the mountain, it can get quite noisy.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank TravelJunkieToo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

Very nice hotel on Amazonas in the New Town Quito. I stayed on two different occasions. One of the rooms was at the back the other on the side. Both rooms were bright and cheerful with floor to ceiling windows nicely decorated, secure and quite. Amazonas is a busy street so I imagine the rooms at the front might have some street noise.

The rooms had comfortable beds, cable tv and heating. The en-suite bathroom was small but spotlessly clean and the water from the shower was hot. The whole hotel has a pleasant atmosphere and is bright and cheerfully decorated with plants and pictures. All the staff I met were friendly, professional and very helpful. There was a wide choice of delicious breakfasts on offer for a small extra charge. Overall the hotel is very comfortable and welcoming in a good location and offers really could value for money.Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank cellargas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

we stayed nights at the hothello in Quito;
It is a bit above our budget, but the room was okay, comfortable beds, nice bathroom, hot shower; And there was a heater very useful for the cold nights in Quito.
Free wifi, good breakfast, additional cost.
Very convenient location in Amazonas.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

Upon arriving we were not impressed with the exterior of this hotel but our opinion soon changed when I met the staff and saw the rooms. All the rooms are secure, very clean, comfortable and cosy. All staff members are very helpful and always friendly. Although smoking is allowed in the rooms here the cleaners keep them so clean that you barely notice any cigarette smell (which I loathe). There is some street noise in the front rooms but you get a lovely view to make up for it. The location is excellent as it is walking distance (or a cheap taxi ride) to the old town and the new town main dining/bar area. We are now on our second stay at this hotel and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

I have stayed in Hotel Othello a number of times over the past 2 years, both on my own and with friends. As a solo female traveler I always feel safe and well taken care of there. They are good to their guests and the staff are honest and reliable. Recently I was forced to spend a night in Guayaquil due to flight problems. the staff of Hotel Othello were kind enough to pack up all my belongings for me and keep them in secure storage until I returned the next day. The hotel is not perfect but it is quaint and comfortable. The front rooms can be a little noisy in the daytime but at night are fine. The rooms on the back are much quieter.
The hotel has gone through some staff changes over the past year and all for the best. The standard of service has improved and they have built a good friendly team. They now have wireless internet in all the rooms which is a big plus!
Hotel Othello is great value and I always recommend it to friends and clients.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Vilcabamba, Ecuador
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

Staff were very helpful in making arrangements for my continued travel in Ecuador. The rooms are small, but clean and cozy. The Hotel is located near restaurants and the artesian market which makes souvenier shopping easy. Like many small hotels in Quito, there is no elevator, but staff happily carry your bags up the stairs, and make every effort to see to your comfort. A tasty breakfast is included with the room and other meals are also available. The owner of the hotel is French and the food definitely has a French influence. I especially liked the Quiche.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2009

I should note that I didn't actually stay at this hotel. I just had breakfast there one morning, wherein we suffered some of the worst service imaginable in a place that claims to sell breakfast. This said, the hotel is on an extremely busy street; I suspect it would be extremely loud at night. It also looked a bit seedy. I wouldn't stay there.

Anyway, we're on the march, walking through Quito. Heading to see the national museum before a flight. We're getting hungry and we're short on time. It's nine o'clock, and this part of Quito is suffering a scheduled rolling blackout due to low hydroelectric dam levels. Most places aren't serving meals at the moment. We duck into the Othello because it's open, because it has what we want on the menu, and because they claim to be serving a full breakfast. Nice.

So my wife and I order three items off the menu; a bread basket, a fruit plate, and some french toast with bananas. Ten minutes pass, and then the waitress floats over to our table. She regrets to inform that the hotel is in fact out of fruit. This is quite a feat, considering the number of street vendors we've seen hawking fruit outside for next to nothing. But alas, the fruit plate is not to be. Oh well. We'll make do with the bread and french toast, thanks.

The bread eventually arrives, an uninspired cornocopia of baked goods that were clearly not baked this morning in the hotel, or anywhere nearby, or anytime recently. Some of it is clearly out of a cracker box. Oh well. We munch the dry croissants and mini-toasts, and await the main course.

We wait, and we wait. The national museum and the gold of the conquistadores is caught in traffic behind french toast.

Fifteen minutes pass, and I ask the waitress for the whereabouts of our french toast. She tells us that the unavailability of fruit has also rendered our french toast inviable, and has cancelled that order as well. Oh well, gringo, you were having so much fun waiting. Were you planning to tell us? Ah, but I told you a while ago there was no fruit. French toast without fruit is murder.

We have the grace to pay for the second hand bread basket, but we leave hungry and frustrated. We find breakfast elsewhere, and swear revenge on the Othello in the form of a TripAdvisor review.

Anyway, enjoy Quito; it's a wonderful city with some great hotels and awesome food. But don't patronize the Othello. There are much better places to stay and eat in this area.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank IMarshal

Travellers are raving about these Quito hotels