All reviewsquiet streetplaza fochhot watersecurity gateexcellent place to staysmall hotelcommon areasthe hotel staffnoisereceptionistecuadorlaundryairporthummingbirdsneighborhoodtaxis
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I'd heard about the hotel from the family friends, who greatly recommended it, and they were absolutely right
1) SERVICE: the service is professional, helpful and nice - the receptionists are always there, ready to assist in anything (so friendly as well!), the rooms are cleaned on a daily basis, and (good) breakfast is served quickly. The hotel has also laundry service and snack bar - I cannot comment on those, however (haven't used)
2) AMENITIES: I stayed in a single room and was also pleased with it - always had warm water in the shower (stayed in Ecuador for 6 weeks altogether, and the 2 days in Cayman were the only ones when I actually enjoyed my showers..), comfortable bed, small desk and sufficient storage space. The hotel has WiFi if you're travelling with your own laptop, and a computer with free internet access (seemed I was the only one using it at a time though!)
3) LOCATION and SAFETY: Also, the hotel is located in one of the quiet streets of the Mariscal, hence I had no problems with noise at night (though in Quito I guess nobody can ever guarantee that..). Before, I stayed for some time in a place just few blocks away (juan leon mera), and the difference was massive, so be cautious when booking anything in that area, especially if you're a light-sleeper! The main gate being locked at all times can initially seem to be a nuisance (need to ring every time want to get in or out) but at the end of the day - it makes you feel secure which for me, travelling alone, was an important thing. I'll d definitely return to Cayman, when in Ecuador ever again, and recommend it to anybody travelling to Quito.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Very nice hostel, staff are so helpful and friendly. Clean, hot water, nice garden, would use again.

We had the room that only had a window into the breakfast area but that didn't really bother us. Could be noisy at night depending on who was staying but you can get ear plugs from reception, and it's usually only for a few minutes.

We were park of a package tour so not sure what the prices are.

Room Tip: Ask for an external window if that's important to you
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We stayed at Hotel Cayman for a few nights with some friends. We made our reservations online and then made some adjustments, which were confirmed right away. They have free wifi. The breakfast included is good. Rooms are clean. Bathroom is small but nice. It was difficult to get adequate hot water in the shower. It would come out hot for a second and then tepid thereafter. None of us could ever get a warm shower. We could smell cigarette smoke sometimes. Noise is an issue. You can hear everything going on in the halls. We felt safe as there was always a receptionist there, and the front gate is locked.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Resort286459
Reviewed 8 January 2011

i paid 36 dollars, which means 20 dollars too much. hostel is located well close too famous plaza foch, it's safe and there is nice staff around. you have wifi, breakfast included, but in the end you can find cheaper hostel more nice just around the corner

Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2010

it was a long long trip from beijing to quito, even though we worried a little about the airport picking up service, we did find the warm and welcome face of the owner, one kind polish woman, at the very front line holding our names. i did appreciate that alot, since it was very morning and cold. After a quick check in, i reviewed my room, the kichen, the garden and the surround area, the hotel is really worthy of the value we paid, economic, comfortable and clean, which makes me feel kind of settle down and feel easy for the followwing long trip. many birds flew around in that green garden below my window, which actually was the unique garden i found in that zona, making one feel lazy and sleepy. at that afternoon , i took a real good time switch snap. when the hangover time came, we found the hotel is surprisingly located in the very center of the fun zona where is full of tourist agencies, restaurants,shops,cafes,dancing club and bars. the latin passion we heared before finally is proved personally by myself. i had a lot fun with so many beautiful people and international friends around. by the way, the chiva , actually one abandoned truck which is filled with people dancing, drew alot of attention when going around the zona. in the following week, we chose a two days travel pacakge from the hotel and visited alot of places, the amazona, snow mountain, we did drafting, hiking....... i liked alot. all in all, the owner,we were treated very well, things were going more emotionally than economically, the polish owner told us alot of things about ecuador at present and in the past, ecologically and geographically. and in the last day, we found that she is also a ecological professor teaching in the local university.
anyway, i had alot of fun in this stop, later even better, the galapagos!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends