All reviews quiet street plaza foch hot water security gate excellent place to stay small hotel common areas the hotel staff noise receptionist ecuador laundry airport hummingbirds neighborhood taxis
Reviewed 1 January 2009

The very helpful staff, the location (on the quiet street close to so much), wifi, & the clean rooms made this place a wonderful spot for me. I stayed here before & after my Galapagos tour. The breakfast was just ok but, for 2 dollars you could get a fabulous breakfast next door at the Big Sur. Also, 50 yards down the street was a laundry that would return your clothes back to the hotel for you. The Cayman will do laundry also but this was much cheaper. I will say for me earplug were essential.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Lynn_from_Louisiana
Reviewed 9 December 2008

We stayed here for three nights before our Galapagos trip, and the first two days were great: terrific location in the heart of the bar/restaurant rows of Mariscal but on a quiet(er) leafy street, with fast broadband, simple but tasty breakfasts and a delightfully bright and cheerful place to enjoy them in. Our first room (#11) was upstairs, and though small with not much storage space, was clean, had a view out onto the street, and despite a clogged shower drain, I considered it fine value at $38/night (+tax) including breakfast for a double room.

Alas, we had to move to a different room for the third night, and what a difference! Still priced at $38/night, Room 3 (and 2, across the way) were tiny in comparison, with not even enough space for a nighttable between the two slim twin beds, and the only window opening out onto the breakfast room.

I only thought it reasonable to ask for a discount but the request was instantly dismissed by the owner/manager/boss Halina, with whom previously I had exchanged several friendly emails re: the booking. Her reply: “it’s not my policy to offer discounts for those rooms”, as she stubbornly pointed to the displayed rate card.

The next morning as we were literally getting into the cab, I thought just to check and see which room we’d been assigned upon our return…and was informed it was Room 3 again, for both nights. Halina stayed away in the office, even after the receptionist went to inform her of our dismay. When we tracked her down, she explained that she, THE BOSS, “had no control over this situation” and that she had “five years of relationships with tour operators who block-booked many of the rooms, after coming by to see them all and cherrypicking for their tour guests” and thus there was nothing she could do.

So there you have it.

To sum: if you’re staying here with a tour group, you’ll likely be very pleased with your room (Room 4, in particular, is a terrific twin with lots of space and a nice view out onto the side garden) and everything else about the place. If not, be sure to specify that you don’t want to stay in Rooms 2 or 3 (or the ones downstairs looking out into the breakfast room) because you’ll be paying the same price for a room that’s less than half as good as the others. With not even a discussion of a possible discount.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MHTK
Reviewed 24 September 2008

I stayed in this hotel for several times, at the beginning and at the end of my year living in Ecuador & used it as a base for all my tours at the first couple of weeks. It is a very nice, clean and warm looking place. But It's charm is the fact that the service is exceptionally good and friendly, the service is very personalized. The staff would go out of their way to help me with everything I ever needed. Everyone spoke English, some better than others, but all tried their best to be helpful. It is greatly located; in the same city center, close to restaurants open until late and an international & national bus station.

Although it is not luxurious hotel(evidently for the price) it is a very comfortable place, with all the facilities needed. They have a luggage room & a safe box for free for guests, that come in handy while traveling. WIFI in all the hotel (they just put it a couple of weeks before I came), a computer with internet for guests and another very useful thing they offer is the shuttle service they offer from the airport to the hotel for $10.

The hote also has a really nice garden (the only one I saw in Quito, generally the city has a lot of concrete) & the rooms I liked the most are the ones with view to the garden of course.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank joannelars
Reviewed 17 August 2008

For a budget hotel, this is one of the best I've experienced.
I had booked another budget hostel in La Mariscal area, which was a huge dissapointment. I walked the area and entered around 10 different hostels before deciding to move to this one.

I went to Quito for work reasons and needed a cheap, quiet and comfortable place. This combination was difficult to find, as I was not looking for the typical noisy backpacker place. The Hotel Cayman was a great decision. I ended up very happy!

Friendly and efficient staff, beautiful house, spotless beds and spacious rooms. The decoration is simple but with a great style.
The garden is huge and beautiful. Bathroom and towels also spotless and well mantained. I have no complaints at all.

I recommend you check the pictures in their website.
If you go, ask for the rooms overlooking the garden, either in the first or second floor.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank natoledo
Reviewed 28 July 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. The room was small and basic, but clean and nice. The room is surrounded by cream-yellow walls and gives a warm feeling. Each room has a picture drawn by an artist from Otavalo, Armando Buitron Rojas, which makes you feel that you are in Ecuador. For the first part of the stay, I had a room upstairs, which was more private and quite, therefore perfect for me.The other half of the stay, I was given a different room on the ground floor, which was nice in spite of its location right across from the frontdesk, with a great garden view where you can see hummingbirds if you're lucky! The hotel staff, including its owner were very kind and nice. One of them speaks perfect English and it was a great help for me. The hotel is located in the safe area on a more quiet street compared to others, which is nice. I would definitely recommend this place for your stay in Quito, Ecuador.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo