All reviews quiet street plaza foch hot water security gate excellent place to stay small hotel common areas the hotel staff noise receptionist ecuador laundry airport hummingbirds neighborhood taxis
Reviewed 8 July 2009

In May, I went to visit Quito, and was going to stay at this horrible place for a week but decided to leave after one night. The description on the internet is very deciving. There is no telephone in the rooms. They mention cable t.v., but there is only one t.v. in a gathering room, so be prepared to fight for the remote with whoever happens to be there. Even the restaurant is out of service. The staff is umfreandly and unprofessional, and this includes the owner. When I arrived, I asked the guy at the desk for information about places I wanted to visit, and he did not know much about anything. Later that day, I happened to come across the "owner" by the front entrance. In a nasty tone, she asked "Can I help you" and when I told her that I had just arrived that day, she just walked away and could not even say welcome. For the same price, I stayed at the Windsor right on Amazonas Avenue and had a great experience with them.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2009

In an excellent and quiet neighborhood, this hotel, once a private mansion, offers very clean and comfortable accommodations for a very reasonable cost. The common rooms on the first floor are large and inviting and very clean, a great blessing in Quito, and offer satellite television, free access to high speed internet service, and a dining area in which you may host visitors. The house has a private enclosed garden, as well. The kitchen offers snack and light dining service for moderate cost in the afternoon and evening, and you can buy bottled water, beer, etc. cheaply on site. There is an inexpensive laundry two doors down, as well. The staff is fabulous and helpful. We loved this place so much we used it as the anchor site for our explorations to the Galapagos and into the Andes, coming back to continue to explore colonial Quito between trips outside the city. Would recommend to anyone and will come back.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chowchowlady
Reviewed 16 June 2009

Service is terrible at this hostel. There is a lot of noise at night (not in the street but inside the same hostel). Rooms have bare walls and you have to wait ages for hot water. The worst thing about it is that the staff is really unfriendly, if you complain they won't care. I'm from Ecuador and I've been to incredible places that cost half of what you pay here.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ecuadoriantraveler
Reviewed 12 June 2009

the staff is rude and the owner of the hotel is very rude to the guest if are not european please don't go there. not tv ,no phone .the bathroom so small you can hardly take a bath there . not gay friendlly as advertised in web page
you have to share the tv with other guest same with the phones service is very bad.
i only stayed with my colleagues one night ...and they only take cash no credit card .if you dont pay the extra nights they call the police.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank david3855
Reviewed 9 May 2009

This hotel is in the heart of the Mariscal. That may be a good thing to some people, but we should have realized the proximity to so much street noise. We stayed there during some of the presidential campaign parades at night...and during a weekend. Earplugs were provided, and were essential. They did help a lot. We stayed in 2 different rooms, and although small, they did offer some sensible storage space for your belongings.

The staff was very trustworthy, and willing to assist with whatever questions we posed. In addition, the pre-trip arrangements were handled professionally and no money was required to confirm the room.

The standard breakfast was not that memorable (only bread, marmalade, coffee, juice), but you can buy additional items at very affordable prices.

The main complaint for us would be the location -- the noise and a little too close to the Mariscal action. Our room faced the street and people were under our window late at night, playing guitar, smoking, drinking, etc.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple