“an excellent hotel in the Mariscal district of Quito”
Review of Fuente de Piedra 1

Fuente de Piedra 1
Ranked #96 of 296 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The hotel is well located near restaurants, parks, shops; historic district a short taxi ride away if you are not up to the walk uphill. The rooms are in a colonial home that has been updated with modern conveniences. The staff was very friendly and helpful, Some staff speak better English than others but are very kind. The adjacent restaurant served a good breakfast although it doesn't seem to vary. The rooms were quaint very clean and equipped with phone and TV. Bathrooms very modern. There was a computer in the lobby for internet access available to guests as well as WFI. The rates are very reasonable and I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: 'doble' means twin beds. 'Matrimonial' means a double bed
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MajaMontreal

Reviewed 10 July 2011

We were booked for 4 nights (1 at the start and 3 at the end of our Ecuador section). Room was supposed to be a matrimonial but was a tiny double ie. 2 single beds. When we walked in and put our cases down there was no room left to move. They obligingly moved us into a suite for the night after contacting the tour company. This room was adequate, but not available when we returned at the end of our trip so they offered us a room at Fuente de Piedra 2 on our return. I was sceptical because I had read some of the other reviews before we left home. However Fuente de Piedra 2 is in a much better location and our second room, while not as good as the suite at Fuente de Piedra 1 was roomy and at least had a queen sized bed even if they did try to use a single bed sheet on it! There hardly seemed to be anyone else staying at either of these hotels while we were there. Breakfast was poor at both and there was no bar, restaurant or room service. I felt much more comfortable at Fuente de Piedra 2 but the bathroom was dismal. Hot water tap in hand basin didn't work and there was no hot water in the mornings. No hair dryer and the powerpoint in bathroom was blocked by a soap dispenser. Staff at both were difficult to communicate with but did their best. I would not stay at either of these hotels again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank shazza059
Reviewed 21 March 2011

This was the first hotel in South America where we had to pay upfront for our 5 nights!!! We were offered a room which had a smelly toilet (the receptionist knew this as she rang us in the room 3 minutes after we went in to offer us another!!).
The internet site proudly boasts an international standard restaurant for breakfast and dinner which was a big selling point for us. However when we arrived we told it was only opened for breakfast. as this is not the safest place in Quito (we were told not to be walking after 9 in the streets) this became a problem for us having to source meals away from the hotel. The hotel boasts a 4 star quality but i am afraid it is only 2,. The Staff were friendly but all interactions were very transactional. I would not recommend a stay here for any longer than one night!!...sorry

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GregStory
Reviewed 10 November 2010

In general we asked our tour operator Neblina forest for a nice, colonial style hotel near downtown Quito. The service and staff were great, my only complaint was with the thin walls and floors. You could here loud steps and specially the lady above our room with high heels. We felt safe and the staff and breakfast was very good. The hotel is around 6 blocks away from a great group of restaurants in Plaza El Quinde

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The rom was clean, and the people friendly.

However:

1. The restaurant and bar are closed/

2. The area is not good and not safe on foot after dark (per the hotel). I didn't have a car so this was a pain.

3. I was told they would take checks, so I didn't bring cash for the room. However, when I was checking they advised they wouldn't take a check. So I agreed to use a credit card, but they then said they charge an additional 10% if I use a credit card.

4. I went to the ATM and got cash. I needed $5 back when paying the bill (the ATM gave me $20 bills) but they had NO money to make change. Hard to believe.

5. Plus, the rooms are quite small.

No a terrible hotel, but when I return to Quito in January I will stay someplave else.

greg

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Though the room was small and we were somewhat offput by the armed guard who greeted us at the gate, the hotel was very clearn and the staff at the front desk were very friendly. The room was a pretty small - not much more than a bed and a bathroom, but clean and quiet. The breakfast was Ecuador average - good bread with fresh juice and eggs. Overall good value in a convenient area.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2010

This was our last stop on a multi-city tour of Ecuador. It was recommended in my Lonely Planet guide, we confirmed its value with all of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor and it did not disappoint.
We arrived late in the day w/o a reservation and were able to get 2 double rooms. They were very clean and the beds and pillows were great. Each room has a small TV with cable and clock radio. The bilingual girl at the front desk was unbelievably accomodating. She gave us recommendations on where to eat, arranged for a taxi to pick us up @ 4:30 am and take us to the airport and even offered to have breakfast made for us prior to our departure (which we couldn't accept in good conscience).
The only inconvenience was the coughing and creaking woods floors from the pacing of a very sick man staying in the room 2 doors down.

It's in an area of Quito with great little restaurants, cafes, and nightlife yet far enough away from it all as to not be bothered by any of the noise.

I can't wait to stay here again on my next trip to Ecuador.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends