“Trip to Cuenca”

Riverview Hotel Cuenca
Ranked #56 of 62 Hotels in Cuenca
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We, my Wife, Mother and Father recently stayed for 5 nights at the Inn, from Dec 15th till the 20th. We had the two river view rooms while there. The Inn and surrounding area, are extremely well taken care of and we felt very safe the entire time.

The manager, Bill Dixon, should be congratulated on the job he is doing. He stayed in contact with me before arriving and continued to be of assistance while we were there. Bill has taken a personal interest in making sure that the Inn and the guest are well taken care of, he went above and beyond what would be expected. I would highly recommend the Inn to anyone based on the service provided by Bill and also Gabby.

The only suggestions would be to upgrade the televisions sets in each room and to get the restaurant finished in a timely fashion. I could see this restaurant being a huge asset to the Inn and if the work already accomplished, is any indicator of the of what it will be, I look forward to coming back and enjoying my meals there.

Ray

Room Tip: The veiw from the River View rooms are worth the extra money!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ray G

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I and two of my daughters traveled to Ecuador to visit my third daughter who is serving in the Peace Corp. in Machala. We took a bus from Guayaquil to Cuenca (I must confess I have never taken a bus so I was apprehensive but surprised how nice the ride was). There was an art festival going on the weekend we arrived at Cuenca so the city was filled with people, great art booths, fun music, and lots of food (I would highly recommend planning a trip to Cuenca to attend this festival). We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at Villa Nova as it is located right on the beautiful Tomebamba river which runs through the center of downtown Cuenca and within walking distance to all the festival activities. I could go on about how much I appreciate Villa Nova and Cuenca but will cut to the chase -

Rooms - I had a room without windows though there were 2 skylights (#9 - Guapondelig) - I actually liked not having a window as I am not used to city living and needed some undisturbed sleep after a long plane ride and hours of travel. The beds were comfortable, room clean, and indeed there was hot water for my morning shower. Also, the rooms was straightened each day and included fresh bottles of water.

Staff - warm, welcoming, accommodating and willing to go above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable.

Breakfast - juice, eggs, bread - I am not the person to write a review about food (I will leave it at that)

Overall experience - perfect! What I loved about Villa Nova - long conversations with Bill (manager), sitting on the patio in the morning and watching the parents walk their children to school, sitting on the patio in the evening with a glass of wine, the sound of the river, central location. . . good food. . . .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JulieSchaefer
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Trip Advisor describes the Villa Nova Inn as being 3.1 miles from Cuenca. This is not true. It is no more than a 5-7 minute walk from the main square. Don't be deterred!

The Villa Nova sits just above the beautiful Tomebamba River and directly across from a newly renovated public park.

You can fall asleep to the sound of the rushing river and wake up early for a stroll in the park!

The staff is extremely helpful and kind. They also speak English. There is a delicious breakfast on the patio overlooking the river every morning.

The hotel is under renovations to put in a bar and restaurant, which will only add to the atmosphere and appeal of this charming Inn.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the river are the choice rooms!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kary V
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I recently spent one week at the Villa Nova Inn. It was my first visit to Cuenca to explore the possibilities of retirement there. Consequently the Inn served as my central base. The room was clean and well maintained. The staff were courteous and most bi-lingual.They provided an environment that made me feel quite at home.and were extremely helpful when I needed advice. The most striking thing about the Inn is its location, central and overlooking the Cuenca river.. Sitting on the patio, with the river rushing by in the foreground & in a park like surrounding, the sounds & ambience was all encompassing. The people strolling and jogging by really provided an almost "parisienne scene". I cannot wait to return to this lovely little Hotel/Inn.

Room Tip: My room #6, upstairs was roomy with a large bathroom/shower. It faced north & overlooked the ri...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bill D
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I enjoyed my stay there. It had a wonderful view of the river which I just loved. The staff was very freindly. At the time the cost was reasonable as I only payed 30.00 a day. I also had hot water and my own room and private bathroom. I stayed for 2 weeks. There was a complimentary breakfast.
There was also free internet service. I enjoyed having breakfast with other travelers. This was always my highlight of my day.

Room Tip: I think it depends on your needs and desires. Specify what you like private,quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank DK7412
Reviewed 5 November 2012

They messed up our reservation, they didn't know what to do.. but it was all paid for already!
They put us all in one room when we had 2 rooms, and it was uncomfortable to share only one bathroom between 6 people.
The queen bed was okay but the bunk beds where awfull!
Good breakfast, but i wouldn't go back again

Room Tip: There are rooms with NO WINDOWS! ask for one in the front that you don't feel like in a prison
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank worldtraveller1287
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I´ve spent three nights at the Villa Nova Inn enjoying my time in room # 12. It seems to be the best room: huge windows you can open, rushing Rio Tomebamba right in front and lots of space. The only odd thing was the wardrobe placed in the bathroom - thankfully I´m a midrange backpacker and never depend on wardrobes or hangers. Some other rooms don´t seem to have windows at all, so spend some extra dollars on river view rooms to enjoy your stay.

Like at Casa de Romero, Guayaquil, the staff is not always at the reception when you need some help, but when they are around they are ever so helpful and nice. Intercom and video surveillance at the entrance make it a very safe place.

Not just the river makes it a great location but also it´s closeness to Calle Large, nice museums and places to eat and of course Parque Caldero with Catedral Vieja and Catedral Nueva (this is where you can hop on the tourist buses).

Breakfast is served in your room when it´s too cold to sit on the terrace, but needs some improvement because it´s way to basic (bread, jam, juice, coffee, small portion of scrambled eggs). And the telly should be fixed since the sound was mute no matter what buttons on the remote the staff and I pressed. Listening to some music would have been nice, but Rio Tomebamba made the nicest of sounds day and night.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo