“I Need My Meat... Sometimes”
Review of Nectar - CLOSED

Nectar
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Located in the heart of the historical district of Cuenca, Ecuador, Nectar Tea House and Gallery offers the most nutricious alternative food and drinks in the area. We have an Andean and International fusion menu which changes on a daily basis. We use moslty local and organic grains, fruits, vegetables, and herbs. Whole food Vegan, and raw food are part of our menu. One will find wheat gluten, and dairy free choices. There are no refined sugar and salt used in our cooking! Most of our dishes are prepared in traditional clay pots!
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This place was the first restaurant I ate in when I got to Cuenca. Didn't know it was a cocina vegetariana. The food was fantastic. The service spot on. I have been back a lot and will continue to do so. As far as "nothing but gringos", I didn't see that, but I only have had lunch there. I haven't been for any of the Jazz nights, but will do so when I return in May for my move to Cuenca.

2  Thank Robert S

Reviewed 9 February 2013

Went here on a Thursday night for some live Jazz. Nothing but gringos there but that made it comfortable. Staff speaks English very well. Food prices are moderate but overall the atmosphere combined with the entertainment and pretty good food made it an enjoyable evening at a fair price. Nice stop if you want to get away from the typical Cuenca restaurant for a feel of North America

2  Thank wbailey6
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Went there based upon the good reviews in Tripadvisor.

Well the decor was nice...& the staff pleasant enough.

For lunch my wife ordered a white bean ceviche. The ceviche tasted great, the white beans were raw. Neither of us likes raw beans. I ordered a vegan tortilla. I could not tell what it was made with. It was too oily & just did not taste good.

We did not order the things many reviewers ordered so we cannot comment on those entrees.

We can only reviews the items we ordered. Which were both so distasteful to us we did not return.

1  Thank jsaul
Lucia Y, Owner at Nectar, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Dear Sir,
We regret to hear that you had a bad experience. However next time you visit any place and you are not satisfied please tell the truth when you are asked "how was everything" like we asked you so we can correct ourselves on the spot, because mistakes do happen! Instead you stated that everything was good and then proceeded to write your review on trip advisor contradicting your answer. That is done by someone that is a liar. You sir did not seem to be one! If the potato tortilla was oily we would have changed it for you, or it "would have been on the house!!" As far your as contradicting review goes for our ceviche, I would like to educate you a bit! There are no raw beans served ever in our establishment ! Lupin beans are not raw Sir! and I have no problem educating you... Andean Lupin beans (which are considered the sweetest variety) was a food widespread during the Incan Empire. They are soaked for many days to remove alkaloids and then blanched in boiling water. They contain 11% protein and all essential amino acids which makes them a super food up there with quinoa. The calcium content is also among the highest. So now you should be able to understand that you did not eat raw beans and that your ceviche was one of a kind. A plate that no other restaurant in the city serves.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Some reviewers of Nectar may be understandably confused and “misinformed”; I’ve dined there several times and understand why. Nectar is a wonderful vegan-vegetarian restaurant that’s open from noon to 3PM daily. A delightful young couple manage the place, and claim they use only fresh organic ingredients. I find their menu items delicious and surprisingly inexpensive. Some confusion may originate from the fact that four nights a week "The Jazz Society of Ecuador" (they have a Facebook page) uses Nectar’s facilities to present their musical events during what they call “Jazz Dinners”. To distinguish the Jazz Society’s menu from the vegan-vegetarian Nectar menu, they clearly label their menu “The Jazz Society Café”. The Jazz Café’s bill-of-fare is mostly vegetarian, but there are few entrees that allow one to add sliced chicken breast to appeal to a wider jazz audience. What’s interesting to me is that their menu items are of gourmet quality (e.g. their “French fries” are deep fried in extra virgin olive oil (try them!) the Pasta Pomodoro is also delicious, and is made with fresh tomatoes, fresh garlic. fresh sweet basil, etc., as is their Primavera). Perhaps because everything’s freshly prepared, their service can seem a little slow –especially when they’re busy. My point is that whether you lunch at Nectar for vegan-vegetarian food, or dine at night at the "Jazz Society Café" for Mediterranean cuisine and cool jazz (I’m a jazz lover), you can’t go wrong at Nectar. Indeed, it’s one of the most unique and “hip” restaurants that I’ve visited in all my travels.

5  Thank James G
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I am not a strict vegetarian, but like a vegeterian meal often. Nectar was quite a find for a good lunch ,of soup, entre, fresh juice, and desert for less than the price of a Starbucks grande Moca Frappacino.

2  Thank Homer W