“Interesting, centrally located, good food for lunch”

La Cofradia del Monje
Ranked #17 of 67 Cuenca B&B and Inns
Cocoa, Florida
“Interesting, centrally located, good food for lunch”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We enjoyed our stay here. The staff was attentive when request were made, small bar downstairs in dining area, breakfast of eggs, juice, coffee, bread and jam comes with room.

The view is good of the church and market from the room, lots of hustle bustle outside on the street and market which you can hear from the room. That maybe a consideration for some?

It has an old world charm but as in many places in Ecuador attention to detail is missing. Fairly priced, I would stay here again maybe?

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Skinnywater

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
St. Croix
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I stayed here for 4 days and it was lovely. Decorated in what I call "Shabby Chic", with an internal courtyard, my room was lovely, with hot water that worked and extra things that made it feel cozy. The staff was sweet and helpful, the breakfast sufficiently nourishing to keep me going. I chose a room with no external windows because I like absolute quiet when trying to sleep, but it seems that the rooms on the street have interior shutters to block out some of the the noise. The Location could not have been better, right in the middle of it all. The bathroom was nice and sheets crispy. Definitly a homey hostal and good value for the money.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the building are more quiet
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank kindred_traveller
New York
Reviewed 24 January 2011

So far I have stayed here one night. I am extending my stay for 3 more nights until I return to my home country.
I have room number 2 and have fallen in love with it. I have views out of both sides of the room. Floor to ceiling windows with a small balcony.

I have found the staff very friendly and willing to help.

Rooms are immaculate. Hot showers (have to wait for a minute), clean bathroom with everything functioning.

It seems like there were only two guests (including me) staying here last night. The Hotel overlooks a busy market. It is quite busy during the day but there seem to be some shady characters hanging around it at night. However I feel safe in the Hotel. The outside door is locked at 9:00 pm in the evening and it is necessary to ring the bell to get in. Normally in the evening the inside door is also locked.

The breakfast (included in the price) was adequate but not filling. It was necessary to supplement it with something else.

I see a lot of attention to detail in this hotel. There was obviously a great deal of thought put into it when it was reconstructed six years ago. Some minor observations. Light switches near the door in my room were a little grubby. I did not see a door sill between the main room and the bedroom. The light switches could be changed to the silent time.

I am able to get Wi-Fi in my room and it is adequate. In fact I was able to upload several hundred photos to the web overnight without any problems.

From about 7:00 pm until 9:30 pm on my first night there was a car alarm that was constantly going off when a truck of bus would pass. I thought that I was in for a rough night but fortunately things quietened down around 11:00 pm and it was quiet throughout the remainder of the night until about 4:30 in the morning when a generator started up. This lasted for about twenty minutes and all was well again.

Noise, in general, seems to be a problem in Cuenca. I find that it is a fairly noise city.

I would strongly recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Jim M
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reviewed 28 October 2010

It is a nice hotel. Very familiar and the rooms are very nice. I don't know and I am not sure about this but I think that during the night there are ghosts...It is a girl playing with something...I could hear her steps...I felt peace and I was not afraid :)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Yes this hotel is central but I found it expensive. We had a small room without windows. the patio is not heated and is very cold for the breakfeast (Cuenca is a cold city on the morning). The breakfeast is not the nicest I had in Ecuaduor during my 3 week trip. But more, for Ecuador, the attention to the guest is very limited, quasi inexistant. One people mentionned that the door is always closed during the night and you need to ring: that is right but that is also part of the hotel safety. Army was just in Cuenca in order to help the police in August so I do not see any problem regarding this closed door. At the end, I do not like so much the decoration of the hotel, it is not enough simple for me but about taste....It is also noisy due to the patio and the church just aside.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 April 2010

When we arrived our room was not ready, and would only be ready after 16:00. So we were given another room in the mean time. This temporary room was not very nice, but the room with a view on the square in front of the hotel was very nice. Good beds.
Breakfast was ok, nothing fancy, just good.
Location if perfect

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire
Reviewed 13 January 2010

We arrived at the hotel late at night, to be welcomed by a locked door and staff who were clearly unhappy at having been disturbed by the arrival of booked and paying guests. Our experiences didn't improve. The front door was nearly always locked, and staff were clearly put out having to open it - on one occasion we waited a few minutes whilst they struggled to tear themselves away from what appeared to be a young childrens cartoon on the main TV. The breakfasts were very limited (scrambled eggs) and served cold over the 3 days of our stay. Our windowless room, in what appeared to be an empty hotel, was covered in a thick layer of hair (not ours!) and dust. Attempts to get a coffee for our room or a drink from the 'bar' were met by a shrug of the shoulders and a grunt. A real shame because it took the edge off our visit to the otherwise delightful city of Cuenca. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple