“Many mistakes at the same time!”

Hotel Boutique Carvallo
Ranked #11 of 61 Hotels in Cuenca
Quito, Ecuador
“Many mistakes at the same time!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I have been there many times because of my job, I would like to say the hotel is beautiful, and the attention is fantastic
BAD THINGS
There is not an elevator so many of my passengers are old people and if they are host on the third floor it is an inconvenient, the room 209 is always noisy, sounds as they are doing the laundry all night! Really it is annoying!
Some of the rooms are not functional, and there is not any natural light in any of the rooms.
GOOD THINGS
The location I thing is the best! It is just couple of blocks from the main square, the area is safe to walk at night and it is on an Avenue with a lot of shops.
The breakfast is very good, with enough food possible to eat for breakfast, the internet coneccion is available pretty much everywhere at the hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This is a nice, clean hotel. It is located in a very convenient location of the old town. We had a Room 104 which is near the rear on the first floor. The decor is a little weird but OK. The staff is very good and the breakfast pretty good. Tip...you can order eggs and bacon any way you want them.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Limoges, France
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed one night at the Carvallo, we were given room 309, which is a suite, it was one of the best rooms we have ever stayed in, the only draw back was the noise from the street but this died down around 11pm.
The staff were very helpful qnd the food was first class

Room Tip: rooms at the front will be noisy
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tina J
Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I made my move to Ecuador in October 2013. This review is quite tardy in being posted, but I just had to submit this review.

I needed a place to stay for maybe a week, or a bit more while I was lining up an apartment and doing paperwork for my visa. My pervious visits to Cuenca included stays at respectable hostels, but the noise inherent to a hostel was not going to work for this trip. Also from my previous visits to Cuenca, I already knew of Hotel Carvallo, but thought it was a bit "high-brow" for my tastes. However, I needed a place to stay, and I got what I thought was an acceptable price through Venere.com (who handles Carvallo's bookings). Yes, $100 per night, but this was my entry into my new home country, "Let's have a bang-up 1st week". There was so much to do... meet with my lawyer, get the paperwork filled out, notaries, etc. I wanted a nice place to come home to at night.

Somehow, I ended up in Room 309. It is the most elegant room I've ever stayed in. Hotels (grand hotels) in the US do their best to dazzle with glitz and techno stuff. My room on the other hand was filled with beautiful turn of the century (the last one) clocks, furniture, fresco paintings on the walls, a separate bedroom from the entry sitting room, etc. I would sit in the sitting room and just imagine how Presidente Eloy Alfaro would have entertained guests in this suite (I've included some of my pics of the room).

The front desk folks were always willing to help me locate the "next spot on my list" where I needed to get/leave/notarize some paperwork for my visa. The breakfast buffet was everything I needed to get a good start to my day of chasing the visa paperwork. The support staff people were friendly and courteous always.

I would stay here without hesitation should I ever need a hotel in Cuenca.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Robert S
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 8 January 2014

beautiful boutique hotel.spacious rooms and excellent service.
great location.only 2 blocks from the main square and close to all important churches and museums.there is a fine,international cafe right across the street.

Room Tip: choose a corner room or a second floor room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 135irene
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

A really delightful hotel. Large comfortable rooms. The staff are extremely helpful and it is really well located. There is a lovely, well priced restaurant directly opposite, 15m to the left, which we highly recommend!

Room Tip: They're all good, for Heaven's sake!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank gwilym_w
Texas
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We were booked here as part of a tour. This is a charming hotel right in the middle of the old town but very quiet (a previous poster complained about a roster but they must mean another hotel - there are no animals within miles). I loved the "republican" style but without an elevator the rooms on the 3rd floor can be a long climb. The decorations are interesting. There is no heat or air conditioning, but none us needed due to the mild climate year-round. The rooms all open into two enclosed courtyards. The only windows in the rooms open into the courtyard. The vicinity looked safe to us. Good breakfast with cooked to order eggs. WiFi and hairdryers are free.

• Stayed May 2013