“Fantastic homestay experience”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Compartiendo un delicioso almuerzo entre diferentes paises
visitas de Alemania, Estados Unidos y Ecuador
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Roving706...
“Fantastic homestay experience”
Reviewed 23 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017

If you are looking for a place to stay in Cuenca, I highly recommend lodging with Yolanda Colmenares and her family. Staying with a local family is a really fantastic experience and a great way to get to know about the city whilst also learning some Spanish.

I stayed for two weeks with the Colmenares in a very comfortable room with a private bathroom. The house is in a very safe and pleasant neighborhood within an easy walking distance of the Centre of town. Everyone in the family was extremely welcoming and were very helpful in giving tips about the city.

The family are from Venezuela but have lived in Ecuador for a number of years so it was a great way to experience both Ecuadorian and Venezuelan culture (as well as delicious food).

I was slightly apprehensive about doing a homestay before coming to Cuenca but cannot recommend it highly enough after my experience with Yolanda and her family. I combined my homestay with language lessons but this is completely optional. The lessons were organized by Yanapuma Language School which, again, I would highly recommend to anyone looking to improve their Spanish while in Cuenca.

3 Jul 2017
De esas personas que quieres volver a ver .Una experiencia fabulosa. Excelentes momento !!!!
venus_e73
Valencia, Venezuela
“Very charming house”
Reviewed 23 April 2017 for a stay in March 2017

I had wonderful days in cuenca. It was amazing!!! Especially I would like to recommend the place where I booked which is near the city center, you can go walking about 20 min. and you can just enjoy the beatiful avenius and scenery. Overall I enjoyed pulcritude, breakfasts, green juice, closeness, warmth and enthusiasm in "Yolanda's House" I went but I want come back at the same place.

3 Jul 2017
Una gran amiga es Venus un huesped que extrañamos mucho dejo un gran vacio en nuestra casa, Te queremos muchooo deseamos volverte a ver.
wolfehave...
Oakland, California
“Kind hospitality, tasty meals and lots of laughter - a great homestay!”
Reviewed 5 March 2017 for a stay in February 2017

I stayed with Sra. Yolanda for five days and was delighted by her welcoming hospitality, healthy tasty meals and comfortable, quiet accommodation. She works hard to attend to her guests and make them feel welcomed. She uses organic produce and takes her time to prepare each meal. The meal plan is not required to stay there but economical and a pleasant time to chat with her and her family when they visit. Yolanda, her son, and her sister helped me practice my Spanish and provided useful knowledge advice about Cuenca and surroundings. It takes about 25 minutes to walk from her home to the main central plaza. Buses are also available. Yolanda's son is also available for salsa lessons in the home, and is a very patient and fun teacher!

3 Jul 2017
Un gran saludo . Recuerdos inolvidables!
Joseph C
“Healthy, happy, friendly, respectful, comfortable, quiet homestay”
Reviewed 22 February 2017 for a stay in February 2017

My wife and I have stayed with Yolanda Colmenares for two weeks. We love the hospitality, healthy cooking, and hospitality. Our room is comfortable and quiet. We have been lucky to find such a wonderful homestay.
Sra. Colmenares also rents rooms with or without meals.

3 Jul 2017
Jose fue un tiempo maravilloso con ustedes los recordamos mucho! los extrañamos! deseamos volverlos a ver lo recomendamos ampliamente.
Marilyn H
“Warm Welcome, Friendly People, Comfortable Home”
Reviewed 12 February 2017 for a stay in February 2017

This secure home is within walking distance to El Centro in Cuenca. Yolanda is a lovely hostess who prepares breakfast using all organic fresh produce. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Yolandas son Carlos Colmenares also teaches private Latin dance classes and I would highly recommend taking a class from him.

3 Jul 2017
Marylin estraordinaria persona. La recomiendo amplia mente. deseo mucho exito en su vida!,
Kiat C
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful guesthouse”
Reviewed 13 September 2016 for a stay in December 2015
people found this review helpful

We stayed at Yolanda´s guesthouse for 4 nights and it was an absolute pleasure. The house is in a safe gated complex and the house itself is well furnished, clean and very comfortable. The night we arrived Yolanda was waiting to at the gate to greet us and made us feel very welcomed. Our bedroom was lovely, spacious, bright and clean, as was the bathroom. Breakfast each morning was a real treat -each day was a different menu, home cooked and delicious. We were genuinely sad to leave as Yolanda and her son Carlos made it feel like home.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
3 Jul 2017
Kiat fue un gusto coneceste a ti y a Robin dejaron un lindo recuerdo en nuestra casa . Le deseamos éxito en su vida.. Los recomenfamos amplia mente..
clearjewe...
“Everything I'd hoped for, and more...”
Reviewed 22 August 2016 for a stay in July 2015

I'm thrilled to discover Yolanda Colmenares is now on Trip Advisor so that I can post a review. In July of 2015 I traveled alone to Cuenca to study Spanish. With connections through the school, I landed at Yolanda's for a 3-week homestay. I wanted to experience the culture within the context of a family. When I arrived at Yolanda's clean, bright and comfortable home, she welcomed me as if we were already friends. Her cheerful demeanor, her willingness to help me navigate a place I'd never travelled, and her genuine pleasure at making me feel at home proved her the perfect hostess. I looked forward to breakfast every day because Yolanda's home cooking is both delicious and nutritious. The fresh juice she prepares in the blender each morning (from one or more of Ecuador's amazing fruits) should not be missed. If you're lucky, you'll get to savor her arepas.
The Colmenares' home is situated in a very safe neighborhood that’s just a quick (and inexpensive) taxi ride to the Old Colonial Center of the city. I preferred to walk to my Spanish classes in "El Centro" because the stroll along the Riobamba River, and the walk up the steps to the old part of town, proved to be such pleasant exercise.
At Yolanda's house I was provided many opportunities to practice my Spanish, but I could also revert to English if needed. When I wanted to be alone, I retreated to my room and wasn't disturbed. My experience with Yolanda and her family created memories I cherish and lasting friendships as well. May it be your good fortune to spend time at the Colmenares' Homestay!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: The house was clean and bright, and the hospitality could not be beat.
Liked least: The neighborhood rooster that crowed a little too early for my liking.
Travelling group: Solo
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
3 Jul 2017
Clear extraordinaria chica! deseo de corazon que en todo le valla bien! agradecida de haberla conocido . La recomiendo amplia mente.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing