“Great Property and Great Value”
Review of Posada el Castillo

Posada el Castillo
Ranked #16 of 178 Arequipa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We recently travelled to Arequipa and stayed here for three nights. The owners were wonderful and accommodating (they very kindly helped us out when I made a scheduling snafu- which I was not at all expecting), the room was lovely (with two balconies), large, and very clean and included WiFi. The breakfast every morning was wonderful, fresh, and filling. The property includes a large outdoor area with chairs and tables and a pool (which we didn't get to use because it was cold). Like other reviewers have said, the hotel is about a 20 minute walk to the plaza in a quieter neighborhood. We stayed in a suite in the main house, which I would definitely recommend (great value for the room and the view).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I was very pleased with my stay at Posada el Castillo. The hotel has a unique history and homey atmosphere that would be difficult to find elsewhere in Arequipa. The house has a very historic feel, and the gardens and patios are beautiful and relaxing. The dining area is especially original, with its display of pre-Incan tombs and artifacts, which were discovered during a major renovation. Our room was spacious and opened onto a large balcony, which had a lovely view of the mountains. The service was exceptional throughout our entire stay. We were there with a large group, and the owner and other staff went out of their way to ensure that we were comfortable and all of our needs were met. The hotel is located in a quiet neighborhood, but we were still able to walk into the Plaza whenever we wanted. Felt very safe, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I enjoyed several nights stay at this beautiful hotel. The architecture is wonderful with solid wood staircases and a lovely stained glass window in the lobby. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. The dining area is very nice, with preservation of cultural artifacts discovered during renovations perfectly displayed. The staff was attentive and helpful. This was a relaxing place to return to after a long day of work.
The only small negative was the occasional low water pressure in showers, though it was not a big problem.
I would stay here again and recommend without reservation!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 July 2013

A large group of us rented out the entire property for a medical mission trip and I can honestly say I couldn't ask for anything better. The rooms were amazing and cleaned to perfection every day. The staff at the front desk was very helpful, ensuring our stay was private and comfortable (they had the entire area locked via fence so no one could enter with out the staffs consent). The breakfast each morning was AMAZING. Bread, home made jelly, cereal with homemade yogurt, fresh tea, and fresh fruit. They have wifi in the main area of the property, at some times it was a bit spotty, but for the most part it seemed to work well. It is in a great location, about a fifteen minute into the plaza, and easily accessible to a taxi on a main street just around the corner. If I were to do it again there is no question that I would stay in this wonderful place. We were there in the winter time so did not use the pool.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Molly L
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I was there for a mission trip and the breakfast was amazing, the staff was very helpful when needed and were very friendly and the scenery was gorgeous. The place was safe and secure. I felt like my things were safe in my room. Every day our beds were made, new towels and toiletries were provided, and none of my personal items were touched. It was a pleasant stay for the two weeks I was there. The place was relaxing after a long day and it was in a great location because it was walkable to the plaza de armas. I enjoyed my stay and recommend it to anyone staying in Arequipa.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kaitlyn07
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We were really pleased and felt at home. Service was very good. The atmosphere was peaceful. Clean rooms, great breakfast. Location is really good and close to downtown. The garden is really nice. I really enjoyed looking at the beautiful flowers.

Room Tip: Excellent location
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The aspect that stands out the most to me about Posada el Castillo is the friendly owner who hosted us during our stay. She was always very pleasant and kind and made us feel very welcome. She was also very helpful providing advice about where to eat and what to see and answering all the many questions we had and she even out on the street to get us a taxi. She got up whenever we needed to leave early to to have breakfast ready, once at 4:00 in the morning before our trek. And speaking of the breakfast, this place had the best breakfast we enjoyed the entire time we stayed in Peru. Great variety and fresh and tasty juices.

The B&B has beautiful gardens and even though we didn't use it, a nice clean pool. We stayed in the main house in two suite rooms with lovely adjoining balconies. The rooms were larger than we expected and the rooms and bathrooms were always clean. Since the location is in a residential area it is much quieter than staying downtown, yet the central plaza was only a 20 minute walk or a 5 soles taxi ride away. The also provided pick up from the airport which was really nice and convenient.

I also appreciated the fact that they have FREE Wifi and it always worked while we were there from the rooms. While traveling that is a huge factor for me since I am always checking for information and emails.

My only suggestion would be to accept payment with credit cards. It would be much more convenient for guests, even if there were a slight surcharge added.

Bottom Line, Great place to stay in Arequipa and the quiet location, great service and nice facilities make it a good value for the money.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family