“Lively Hostel”

Ranked #96 of 178 Speciality Lodging in Arequipa
Brisbane, Australia
“Lively Hostel”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

First time in a "the point" hostel. Clean, with everything you need. Staff were fairly helpful with the touristic info. They were also very prompt with their correspondence with me over a lost item.

It´s a fun atmospheric hostel, but not a place if you´re needing a good night´s sleep, you can´t really escape the bar noise. Great social/chill out areas. Kitchen is very basic and you have to pay. Great place if you´re after a social hostel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Location of the hostel is nice, it is near the mainsquare. The hostel is really a party hostel. A lot of drugs! so if you like this this is the place to be!

Rooms are small and noisy, I really disliked it that they charge you 5 sol for using the kitchen.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Arequipa hotels

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Its a very good hostel. Staffs are very helfull, bedrooms are clean and big, has a safety lock where you can let your cellphone charging and good location, near to the main square.
Negative point: you have to pay 5 soles to use the stone even though you want to cook something very quickly.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Overall, this hostel was pretty positive. The desk staff were nice and available any time that I needed them. The rooms and facilities were kept clean, and my bed was comfortable. I booked a tour of the Colca Canyon directly from the hostel, and the accommodation and experience was comparable to what the agencies in the square were offering for the same price.

Only downside (and it weighed pretty heavily in my scoring) was the loud music in the bar - it's kind of unavoidable on the weekends. That Colca Trek I booked included pickup at 3 am, and when the noise from the bar kept me up until around 2, I was a little cranky pants to start two days of walking. Mind you, I slept in headphones and this was on a Sunday night - I was told by other travelers that the noise continued until 6 am on Saturday night, but I can't confirm since I checked in Sunday. If you're a light sleeper, you may want skip this place on weekends.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the back to try to avoid some of the noise from the bar.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This place sucks! They didn't ask for our key at checkout because no one there knew what their job was. We arrived and were put in a more expensive room because the manager left the place in charge of uninformed fake employees. Breakfast does not start til 830, which is not useful when there are early tours and buses to catch. There is no hot water, poor internet, and it is awkward to have a party hostel in a small town. Overall this place is mismanaged and out of place in Arequipa.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank nhansen16
Australia
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I had an absolutely amazing time at The Point. However, it's not the best hostel to be in if you want to have alone or quiet time. Location was good but what really made this hostel was the staff. To be honest, everything is average. The rooms are ok, the bedrooms are ok, the kitchen and breakfast are ok, but the staff are fantastic. It really feels like you are coming home and they don't treat you like you a just a guest, they treat you like a friend. There are never a whole lot of people staying because there are not a huge amount of beds so you get to know the other guests and the staff really well. As a young woman, two staff members personally walked me back to the hostel from the nightclub to make sure I would be safe. They always go out of their way to help you and it feels like they genuinly care about you.

The bar manager is crazy, but it just depends on the kind of person you are. If you are an outgoing person this is the place for you. If you are quiet and easily annoyed person, probably look elsewhere. Overall, I really enjoyed it if you're willing to sacrifice modern luxury type hostels for something more genuine and local.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bella8887
Cordoba, Argentina
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I stayed almost a whole week longer than I was planning at the Point Arequipa because I had such a great time. The staff adopted me and made me feel at home and safe. This is more than "knowledgeable and friendly", this is "will personally take you anywhere" and "feels like family". I spent my 21st birthday at the Point and I was expecting a dinner alone and a night getting myself drunk to avoid homesickness. I could not have been more wrong. The Point threw me a party (they even bought me a cupcake, lit it, and sang Happy Birthday) and partied with me all night long. They are so kind and loving and, of course, love to party. If you're looking to have more fun than you've ever had and make new friends more easily than in any other hostel ever, I highly recommend The Point. If you're looking for a quiet hostel where you don't have to interact with anyone and get a bathroom all to yourself, you should look elsewhere. The Point is made for adventurous, fun people, not negative people.
I had no problems with any of the facilities or the kitchen and none of my stuff was taken, even though I left it all over my bed during the whole week I was there. I DID however make many friends (including employees) who I have already gone out of my way to see again and expect to run into more in my remaining time in South America.
When people ask me about my favorite place in all of my travels I tell them about the Point. I literally cried when I left and will go back as soon as I can.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo