“Nice Hotel In Arequipa”

Ranked #3 of 97 Hotels in Arequipa
Los Angeles, California
“Nice Hotel In Arequipa”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza Hotel for 2 nights in June 14'. The hotel is very modern and nice. The rooms are very clean, good size and the beds are quite large. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi and breakfast in the morning which had a good variety. The location of the hotel is great a 5 minute walk to plaza de armas. It is also very close to Arequipa nightlife. When I checked in they gave me a room in the front of the hotel facing the street. It was very loud and I could here the traffic all night. The next day I asked for a room change to the rear of the hotel. What a difference, if you like to sleep ask for a room in the rear of the hotel. In conclusion I enjoyed my stay at Tierra Viva after I found a quiet room. The hotel is in a great location, near plaza de armas and nightlife. If I came back to Arequipa I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet in the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Lanikai_808,

We would like to thank you for taking time to share your experience at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza with other travelers.

We really value the feedback from our guests because it helps us improve our service every day. We are committed to ensuring that every stay at Tierra Viva Hotels is as pleasant as possible.

Hope to welcome as our guest again soon.

Tierra Viva Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel is very well located. Staff was really nice and accommodating. The breakfast was really good and nice. This was the best hotel I stayed at in Peru. I wish that I picked up a hotel like this in Cusco.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Mcfuste,

Thank you for your excellent comment!! We are very happy to know that you really enjoy your stay.

If you ever have the chance to visit Peru again, it will be a pleasure to take care of you at our hotels in Lima, Arequipa, Cusco or Puno.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at Tierra Viva, Arequipa Plaza Hotel in April 2014. We initially booked a room at the Azul Colonial Inn (DO NOT STAY THERE! -- read my review Azul Colonial Inn), and after our negative experience there we grabbed our bags and set out in search for a new place to stay.

We ended going to Tierra Viva as we saw that they had rooms available online....from the moment we stepped in to the hotel our luck turned around in a major way. They were extremely polite, helpful, and welcoming as we explained our situation. They said they had a room for us at a very reasonable rate -- and then they helped us with our bags to our room. Great staff!!

The room is very clean, very big, and had everything you needed as if you were in any other luxury hotel. The bathroom was stocked, had a large walk-in shower, towels, hair-dryer, hot water, etc.

They have a complimentary breakfast every morning, and it was delicious -- buffet style and basic -- but they had a lot of variety from eggs, sausages, potatoes to waffles, bagels, and various spreads. Great stuff, and free! The hotel was also very central....it was maybe a 3-4 min walk to the Plaza de Armas, and all the restaurants, bars, tour companies, and monastery. The location seemed very safe, as we walked home at night after dinner a couple times and felt like it was still busy and safe....

Great central location, and great place to stay if you don't mind spending a LITTLE extra -- we were very glad to have found this place under our circumstances!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris D
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Chris D,

Thank you for your excellent comment!! We are very happy to know that you really enjoy your stay with us at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza.

Our mission at Tierra Viva is to contribute to make everyone´s trip an unforgettable experience. That means, that we will do whatever is in our hands to help our travelers to enjoy the city they are visiting.

We hope to have you again at Tierra Viva very soon!

Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Perfect place to stay in arequipa!!!! we spend 4 nights at this hotel an it was just luxury! normally we slept in hostels, but we needed a better place for a few nights! and the price was almost the same! just amazing!!!! best hotel on our trip through south america!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank franzg85
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Franzg85,

Thank you for your excellent comment and for considering Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza “Just amazing”.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed in this place for 3 nights after staying at Tierra Viva Cusco Centro. I love the fact that they pick you up from the airport (no drop off). I think this is standard for all Tierra Viva hotels. The aesthetics of this hotel is very similar to their other hotels, modern with some Peruvian touches, its simple, clean and quite nice. The breakfast at this hotel was just ok, It is very similar to the one in Cusco but this one doesnt have plain sugar free yogurt which is all we eat. It doesn't have wheat or multi grain bread either. For healthy eaters, I suggest you buy your own bread and yogurt. The only thing we consumed for breakfast are the eggs and water. For the average person, this breakfast would be very acceptable.

This place would have easily gotten 3 stars from me but there were some issues that just didnt settle well with me.
1. We asked for a very very quiet room and they put is in room 207. When you go to the bathroom, you will see a vent on the ceiling. That vent opens up to the outside and you can literally hear your neighbor from the other room take a dump (I am not kidding, I heard every plop). If their bathroom door is open you will hear their conversations. I didn't like this room at all
2. The service wasn't bad but it is definitely not commendable. I asked to be transferred to another room and the guy said its the most quiet room If that is the most quiet room then they are in trouble from guest who are light sleepers. They should have at least given me options and showed me other rooms the way they did in Cusco. He just responded quick as if not interested to address my concern.
3. The worse part of our stay was when someone walked in our room without knocking or calling in advance. When we checked in around noon, we decided to take a nap before we hit the sights. An hour into our nap my hubby heard someone opening the door but it was too late. The moment people walked in, I screamed because we were not dressed appropriately. A few minutes later the same guy who tried to unlock the door came back (knocking this time) explained that the last guest left their stuff in the safe. Understood! BUT TRY TO CHECK YOUR DATABASE AND SEE IF SOMEONE IS NOW IN THE ROOM OR CALL OR KNOCK BEFORE YOU ENTER. THIS IS THE NUMBER ONE RULE FOR HOTEL EMPLOYEES! What was done was unacceptable, in the US they will try to do something to compensate such a horrible mistake. It was not an accident, it was a stupid mistake that shouldn't have happened if an employee is well trained and had common sense. The least thing they could have done was move me to a room that would make me happier after this fiasco but they didnt.

I would be looking for other options based on my personal experience but I wouldn't totally not recommend this hotel to the budget conscious traveler who maybe is not as picky as me because it provides a good value. The location of this hotel is excellent which is one of its redeeming factors.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlexisRF
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear AlexRobin,

I have read your comments carefully and I would like to thank you for taking time to let us know your impression and the inconvenient you had during your stay at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza. Please accept our apologies for the unhappy events that you have described.

We strongly apologize for the incidents and we can assure you that what happened to you was an isolated case. The security of our travelers is our main concern at all Tierra Viva Hotels.

We are sorry that our hotel has not fully met your expectations. I assure you that we are taking the necessary corrective measures to ensure that such situations do not happen again. We are working very hard to improve our service and comments like yours are very useful.

We truly hope that you continue to be our guest at Tierra Viva Hotels. If you ever come back to Peru, it will be a pleasure for us to take care of you again and show you that we are committed to making every stay at Tierra Viva Hotels as pleasant as possible.

Lima, Peru
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Great location in historic centre of Arequipa. Wonderful service. Rooms are clean, modern, comfortable and delightful. We rented the suite with a big balcony. A pleasure to take a view and to sit and relax. We stayed 5 nights. We will be back next year.

Room Tip: no swimming pool, but no problem
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Klara t,

We will be waiting to have you again at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza or at our hotels at Cusco, Puno or Lima.

Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed two nights here last month. Location of hotel is good - close to Plaza de Armas, and safe. Room was clean, bathroom was clean, and sheets were nice and crisp. Breakfast was decent. However, the location of the room was weird - at the back on 3rd floor, and had two windows but they were opaque glass so couldn't see through them. It was also warm in the room and we felt claustrophobic as we couldn't open the windows. No air-conditioner.

Having said that, if it were not for Joel's (reception) and Tomas' (bell captain) services, we would have given this hotel a poor rating. Joel was gentle and had a quiet sense of humor. He suggested a great itinerary for us for the next day including restaurants. We ate at ChiCha (excellent), Sol de May (also excellent), and Pirador (sp?) 1900. We visited Santa Catalina (recommend using a guide), the museum where we saw "Juanita," the Jesuit church (compania?), and the cathedral (also recommend using a guide).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear BoiseRocks,

We would like to thank you for taking time to share your experience at Tierra Viva with other travelers. I have read your comments carefully and I would like to thank you for taking time to let us know your impression.

Hope to welcome as our guest again soon in Arequipa, Cusco, Puno or Lima.