“Interesting, but small. It all evolves around juanita”

Museo Santuarios Andinos (Museum of Andean Sanctuaries)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$227.50*
and up
Private Arequipa City Tour Including Juanita Mummy Museum, Monastery of Santa...
Ranked #8 of 103 things to do in Arequipa
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum’s main attraction is Juanita, whose ritually sacrificed and frozen body was unearthed in a volcanic explosion. This young girl’s miraculously preserved DNA has provided priceless insight into the Inca civilization.
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Went in there as it was the most recommended museum in town. I personally fount it very interesting, very well done, with a really captivating story, however, it's a small museum. You have a 15-20 minute video, followed by a tour. Everything will be well explained, and you will be out in less than an hour.

1  Thank The_Dr_MAK
There are newer reviews for Museo Santuarios Andinos (Museum of Andean Sanctuaries)

Reviewed 22 November 2013

One has to hand in cameras etc before one can enter. So we decided to visit another day in order to leave my expensive camera in the hotel safe instead of with the museum. The tour starts with a a film with background on the mummified Incan girl that was sacrificed on Nevado Ampato and we then saw the actual mummy in a glass walled exhibition freezer. This is the interesting part and by itself well worth the visit. One will not see anything like this anywhere else..

Reviewed 7 November 2013

As other reviewers describe the experience, you start with a film about the discovery of Juanita and then you are guided through the rest of the museum (3 other rooms). The concept of the museum is interesting and Juanita is a very important find.
However, it's not handy that they want all of your belongings even though each group that watches the film is guided through the other rooms and there are security guards inside. I just kept my camera in my small purse because I didn't want to risk it going missing. If you have a big camera, leave it in the hotel's safe before setting out for the museum. The films is okay and there are a few interesting things to see, but you end up as a large group huddled around small objects while struggling to hear the guide.
Our tour guide was fine, but it was very hard to hear her because there were other groups crowded nearby and they were telling nearly the same story (some in a different language) so it was hard for her to concentrate and us to listen.

There is not a lot to see, but it merits a visit if you don't have better things to do.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We paid 20 soles each to visit this museum after reading about it in a guide book. The place was tiny, incredibly overpriced, and completely worth skipping.

We were forced to hand over our belongings. Sigh. When they saw I hadn't checked in my camera bag (because I was worried about it being stolen) they told me I couldn't go in unless I checked it because photography is not allowed, they didn't seem to believe me when I told them I wasn't going to take pictures.

They then informed us we had to go through the museum with a tour, and that they don't pay their tour guides so we'd have to pay for our forced-tour as well. After waiting for enough English speakers to start the "tour" we were ushered into a overly air-conditioned room where we watched a 15 minute video about the discovery of the "Ice Maiden".

We were paraded through 4 very dimly lit rooms with about 10 artifacts per room. There were no placards or writing of any kind to describe what we were looking at, only our guide who spoke very little English and was difficult to understand. Everything in the museum is behind glass, so I'm not sure why we were forced to hand over our bags. After about 15 minutes of walking through the rooms trying to figure out what everything was, we reached the final room with "Juanita the Ice Maiden". It was a glass freezer with her body in it, but half of the glass was covered by frost, and the lighting was so dim you could barely see anything anyway. She appeared to have freezer burn/frost on at least half of her body. As our "tour" ended, we were politely reminded to tip our tour guide. Groan.

This place was set up purely to rip off tourists. If they actually wanted to display these artifacts, they'd let people tour without guides, add placards with factual information, get real lighting and stop treating every visitor like a potential criminal. Don't bother going here, it's a rip-off. With the forced tip, we ended up spending more here than we did most nights for dinner.

4  Thank spaceturkey
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We visited the museum with the ice princesse Juanita and were quite surprised. They charge 20Soles for the entry and in my opinion, they are overcharging for what they offer. You see a 20min video (english, spanish and frensh subtitles) and then you get a 20min tour in a language of your choice. That is great for people who do neither speak English nor Spanish. Anyway, I do not agree that they not only ask a 20Soles entry fee but also that you tip the guide. If a museum decides not to present any descriptions and informations with the exposed objects and only allows the visit of the museum with a guide, then at least the guide should be included in the 20 Soles entry fee.
When I was visiting the museum, there were three tours at the same time. Taking into account the small rooms and the bad accustic, almost impossible to understand anything.
If you are in a rush, better invest your time in visiting other museums.

2  Thank Thereblabla