“Great little hotel, excellent service”

Casa de Avila - For Travellers
Ranked #3 of 102 Hotels in Arequipa
Reviewed 4 January 2014

As mentioned in a previous review, I spent 3 weeks studying Spanish at the Arequipa Spanish school housed here. We did a home stay for most of the time but stayed in the hotel a few nights and also worked closely with the hotel staff for school related things as well as travel planning for our time in Peru. The ladies at the front desk are seriously the sweetest and most helpful hotel staff you could ask for! They helped us so much with every little thing and made us feel like family. The hotel itself is great for what you pay, it's simple but comfy and cozy and the garden is excellent. Armando runs a great operation. The only thing I can say negatively is that the public bathrooms need help! They are cold, the sink water is icy and there are no towels or hand dryers so you just have to dry your hands on your pants. Overall, a wonderful place to stay and an easy 8 min walk to the Plaza de Armas.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kate C

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I stayed here, meeting my sister who had be volunteering in Arequipa for 6 months. I can't rate this hotel highly enough given the price. Sister couldn't either and she'd been there fore 5 months! Free wifi internet, and although basic the rooms were clean, with beautiful gardens.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Jo M
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Myself and 2 friends stayed at Casa De Avila for 8 nights in November. We stayed in one of the family rooms which was spacious, clean and comfortable. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the Plaza which was perfect for us since we found the Plaza quite busy and noisy so it was peaceful at the hotel. The garden is amazing, a great place to relax after breakfast before leaving to visit the City. Every morning we would go down to the garden to look for their pet turtle named Paka. The best part of our stay was the staff, so helpful and they would always greet us with a smile. They provided us with excellent information for tours to the Colca Canyon, City tours and El Misti. The breakfast was good but basic, bread with jams, cereal, cheese, delicious juice, coffee and tea. But you can order a la carte for a few soles (we loved the fried potatoes)! While my friends we're hiking in Colca Canyon, I enrolled in some spanish classes that I truly enjoyed. Our only regret is missing the cooking classes, I guess we'll have to go back!

We highly recommend this hotel in Arequipa! A huge thank you to the staff, particularly to Natalia, Raquel, Lucia and Milagros!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Annie G
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The hotel is certainly not a luxory hotel, but it is great for you money you paid.

The hotel location is reasonably close to the center. Rooms are clean and the garden is beautiful( with a turtle pet it is extra fun).

The best is the service. The staffs are very helpful. They speak good english and always offer honest advices. I joined the cooking class organized by the hotel and it was great fun.

During my stay in Arequiba I got serious diarrihea from a restaraunt in the center. The hotel staff (Lady, also our chef for the cooking class) tried her best to help me, she got me some pills and hot coca tea that was supposed to help. Although my stiuation was a bit too heavy for the the pill she gave, I truely appreciate her effort.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Armando E, Owner at Casa de Avila - For Travellers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your valuable opinion. I feel proud of my staff and think its the best value of the hotel. I see you gave us a great evaluation, but if you think we can improve, we will be pleased to receive your advise. Too bad to know about that stomach problem. I am reporting your case for statistical purposes, but will be good for you to publish the name of the place. Besides that, I hope your staying in Peru will be something to remember as a beautiful experience.
Thanks again and keep having a wonderful life!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I am so glad we choose Casa de Avila to stay in Arequipa. The staff was all so very kind, helpful, thoughtful...I can't say enough. The room was clean. The garden is lovely and gave the place such an international feel. It was peaceful. Filtered water is provided on the deck by the garden. Breakfast is a simple but good start to the day. They also offer a small menu for very little expense for those who want a bit more to eat. The whole place felt so safe...they lock the front gate come sundown and quickly let you in and out. The walk to the plaza is nothing. We walked our feet off. The staff arranged taxi's and even made us a small evening meal before we left to the bus station for an overnight bus to Huacachina. I found this to be a special place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ttkcm

Thank you very much for your opinion. Our goal is to make you feel comfortable, safe and to enjoy your staying with us. And all of our staff is devoted to that. If we did it, we are very happy.
Hope your experience in Peru is unforgettable and we share part of those memories. Have a wonderful life and maybe see you again!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Charming place with nice rooms. Staff was always helpful, i can wait to visit Arequipa again and visit this place. The place is a short walk away from the plaza de armas, where you can visit a market, some tourist spots and restaurants to eat some good food.

Can't remember if they offered a breakfast but i had some good time resting in the yard after some day trips I did in Arequipa.

i would definitely go there again. Unfortunately, the place is not the best for party people, cause is very quiet and peaceful, and besides that u can learn some good spanish there, as there's a language schoool based there.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

The rooms of Casa de Avila overlook the gorgeous courtyard garden which is also the home of Spanish School Arequipa where I was attending classes. All of the staff were amazing particularly the receptionists who actually took the time to get to know me and would often have a bit of a chat.
The place is kept exceptionally clean, breakfast is good quality with more than just the standard bread and jam and there is free wifi. It is only a short walk to Plaza de Armas. The hotel security is kept tight, especially at night.
The staff definitely made this place special for me!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo