“Functional, enough said!”

Ranked #96 of 167 Hotels in Cusco
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Functional, enough said!”
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Stayed here on 3 seperate nights. The first two were part of a GAP adventures package. The 3rd was private (after returning from Puno) and cost us 50 USD - overpriced in my opinion.
Staff are generally helpful and have reasonable English though more complex requests can be met with baffled looks.
Very busy hotel with lots of tour groups coming and going and plenty of banging and crashing from 5am as the tour groups get ready to leave. Pack earplugs if you want a lie in. Breakfast starts at 0530 which is good for the day of your tour.
Rooms are pretty tired and like much of Peru, the drains in the bathroom can pong quite badly but thankfully not all the time.
Showers are hot and powerful which is exactly what you want after treking.
Lots of stairs and no lift and the internet access if you don´t have wifi is limited to one or two old and wheezy machines.
Did the job for a few days but I wouldn´t rush back. The continual use by tour groups probably means they have relaxed their standards a bit.

Room Tip: Maybe floors 2 or 3 would be a good bet. 4th floor is a real pain with loads of stairs, no lift and...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We stayed at The Prisma, as part of a GAP Adventures package (as many people seem to do)!

I'm not sure if it's the heat of our room(s) of the hotel, or the altitude or what it is, but the first thing we noticed was the lack of good air! We had two room on two separate nights (before/after the trek) and on both times needed the windows wide open just to feel comfortable.

This isn't good as the hotel is on a noisy neighbourhood (as probably most of Cusco is) and having open windows makes it worse - though it was still bad with them closed.

The reception staff here are pretty good, they have good English, and ate readily willing to accommodate all sorts of requests that we had - probably helped by the fact that GAP are on site much of the time.

The showers are also good here. Both our rooms had good powerful ones, that worked well. There is also free wifi throughout.

On the down site, the place is just a little tired with creaky beds and really old tellys. There are lots of stairs in all directions too, so no lift to help you after a weary inca trip!

Breakfast is minimal, with bread, ham, cheese and some odd condiments & also cereals. But it's topped up slowly, so often runs out.

Overall this isn't a bad hotel, but it's nothing special either.

• Stayed September 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Stayed here for 6 nights before and after Inca Trail. Staff spoke English and were very helpful. Rooms were good size and basic needs easily met. Had several places throughout hotel where you could sit to read or meet new friends. Restaurant on site made meals very easy. They have 2 computers available for guests and free WIFI access so can stay in touch with world. Location was perfect - walking distance to everything. I travelled alone and it felt very safe. Would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
California
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel in May 2011 as part of a inca trail hiking trip with gap adventures. The hotel is charming with a great location near the town center in Cusco - you could walk to most museums and attractions within 10 minutes. The rooms are simple, with a nice courtyard in the center of the hotel that lets in natural light. It all looked very promising.

The staff are nice but did not pick me up from the airport as arranged over email. I ended up taking a cab from the airport after waiting 45 minutes, and ended up paying more than if I had been picked up as planned. When I got to the hotel, they told me they couldn't pick me up because they didn't have my flight number. They had not asked for my flight number, just the time of arrival.

As you acclimatize in Cusco (it's gave most of us headaches when we arrived), you probably want a good nights sleep. If you are unlucky like me though, an arguing couple can keep you up all night. And you will hear every bit of their conversation until 4am. It's not the fault of the hotel the couple had a fight, but the walls are pretty transparent when your neighbors are noisy.

All in all, it's a hotel with a backpacker feel to it. It's okay. But when we returned from our hike we decided to book into a different hotel to get some deserved rest after 4 days on the trail.

Room Tip: try to stay in the rooms away from the courtyard, people hang out there late into the night chatting...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hwy1Traveler
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I traveled with a group of 6 friends to do the Inca Trail. Our tour package included 2 nights at the Prisma Hotel, 1 night each before and after our trip. After our 1st night we decided to not stay for the 2nd night and booked elsewhere. This place is OK if you want a basic room and not much else.

-Service: The service was OK. Not rude or overly friendly.
-Room: Our room the 1st night was small and was quiet since it faced away from the street. It was clean but the bed was kind of lumpy.
-Location & Amenities: It is a 5 min walk to Plaza San Francisco and another 5 min walk to Plaza de Armas. The street is busy and loud at night but safe. There is a grocery store is nearby if you want to get cheap snacks. Room amenities are cable TV and not much else...including no shampoo. The hotel has a restaurant, free continental breakfast, gift shop.
-I liked the proximity to Plaza de Armas but wanted a little more after camping for 3 days.

Room Tip: Get a room that does not face the street or you could have rough night.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Cusco hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I stayed here as part of a Gap tour (of course) and overall found it one of the better hotels. Great showers (pressure and hot water!), friendly and helpful front desk who are used to kids coming and going and making a racket all night and lots of room to just lounge around. Supermarket about 2 blocks away and a 15 min walk to the main square. One of the better breakfasts I had on my trip. A free computer on the 2nd floor and spotty wifi, but whatever.

The first room I had faced the street and while the view was awesome, but the noise was not. The room I had after returning from the trail had a crappy view but was very quiet in the back, though I could hear people in other rooms. Whatever, it was fine. Not American quality, but what do you expect?

I was overall pleased with this place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed here as part of a GAP tour. This was our first time doing an organized tour as we usually do things on our own and organize our own trips. I am usually all about staying at a top hotel in the area but since I had no control over where we stayed I didn't go in with many expectations. The quality of the hotel was lower than what we are used to but we were pleasantly surprised based on what were expecting for a basic tourist hotel. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was decent compared to what we received at other locations.

It is convient to have a GAP desk in the hotel as well and to have a safe place to store our luggage while on our trek.

The first room we stayed in was very small and loud as it faced the courtyard, it was adequate for a quick nights sleep. The second night after we returned from our trip we were in a larger room in the back where it was nice and quiet with a larger bathroom.

Overall we were satisfied. I would not stay here if I had my choice but was overall satisfied given it was part of our tour.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends