“Fantastic place”

Ranked #18 of 462 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Mancora, Peru
“Fantastic place”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed here in February 2013 and what a lovely stay it was with very nice staff. Breakfast is included and comes with nice fruit juices. There is a kitchen, albeit small but has everything you need. There are also a number of lounge areas available. There are many DVDs to watch, a ping pong table, good Wifi, a computer for communal use (good for burning cd's :D)

It is about a 5 minute walk away from the centre which is fine. There is a very nice pizza place across the road which will delivery to the hostel for you.

The beds are clean and the showers are warm. Not a party Hostel like Loki and has a nice chilled out vibe. I cam back here a few times. Great place. If you visit Cusco come here.

The price is very reasonable too!

Room Tip: The double rooms behind the kitchen are quite nice
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were comfortable staying at this hostel. The staff was helpful, and was not a long walk to the square, though the walk is down the smallest alley ever, and you need to walk single file toward the square. The rooms were clean for Peru, but outlets were near impossible to use with convertors. Try held our bags during our four day Inca trail hike with no problems. Breakfast was banana milkshakes with toast.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cusco, Peru
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Really lovely and friendly staff! We stayed in a spacious private room. Really good hostel to chill out and relax. Great atmosphere and location is just a ten minute walk from the main plaza. Would definitely stay here again! Also, yummy pancakes for breakfast!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights, firstly in a private, matrimony (double) bed and then in a 4 bed dorm.

Pros...

Fairly secure, comfortable bed, very good tv area, quiet location and clean. Staff were friendly and accommodating. There are umbrellas for use by the front door, which is a nice touch.

Average....

10 min walk to the square.

Cons...

Sporadic hot water supply, the whole building is very cold (we asked for a heater but were told there was not one), breakfast area is very small, the breakfast is inconsistent - sometimes just bread, I wouldn't class this as a quiet hostel, as the common areas are close to the rooms. We gave in some washing - we were given somebody else's trousers!

Overall, average - has a lot of potential, but they need to get the basics right. I was personally disappointed, as the hostel rating was 4.5 when we booked..........

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Easthampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We had a really nice stay at Hospedaje Turistico Recoleta. The staff was very helpful and friendly and we ended up with a spacious matrimonial-style room on the first floor - only bad thing was that all the noise from reception came into our room. Otherwise, very clean and reasonably priced with good coffee and either fresh juice or a fried egg with breakfast. Only other complaint is that the hostal did not pick up my partner at the airport as we had planned. We sent them his flight number and all the travel information but when no one was waiting for him, he had to arrange his own cab and ended up being ripped off significantly (50 soles when it should have been 15 because he doesn't speak Spanish). Otherwise, very pleased with our stay here, pretty quiet neighborhood, just a short walk from the main plaza.

Room Tip: This double room on the first floor was a bit noisy because of close proximity to reception
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Turistico is my hostel of choice for three separate stays while in Cusco before, during and after my Inca Trail trek. I have a single room which is quiet and safe. The huge clean bathrooms down the hall are most welcomed. At the point when I landed here I hadn't had access to hot water for a shower for three days so when I jumped in about 4 pm and hit the genuinely red skin hot water it was just heaven, and it really lasted until I felt guilty although no one was in the building.

The map made it a quick walk to the Plaza and it's also a quick walk to the much less expensive artisan's market. The view from the sunbleached balcony are great and the little treatments here and there with decorations and furniture and figurines and sand and flowers and not only intriguing but inviting enough to sit down and enjoy.

A nice touch, if you like to buy from Peruvians and pay Peruvians directly, is that there is an authentic market a very short walk up the street and down the stairs. There I walked and bought a massive papaya, ripe mango and a big bag of delicious tangerines for 14 soles. It's mostly women in bowlers, some kids, and a few old men lying around, and it's no fancy supermarket. But Peruvians go there. And I do too. It's more fun. You can get other stuff elsewhere but this way you know where your soles are going.

The cooking facilities at Turistico Ricoleta are sparse and the fridge is tiny. I believe the assumption is that most folks are going to eat out except for the breakfast, which is served on some lovely glass topped tables featuring real beans inside them. That does leave the tiny kitchen available to the rest of us who do cook and it's just a little gas burner with minimal but enough utensils to put something simple together.

The staff is attentive. I'm the one who missed the airport pickup- they were there, I didn't see them, and they were most concerned until I turned up safe and sound later. They deserve the best staff awards they've won.

Strongly recommended, very helpful, great resting spot.

Room Tip: For an extra five bucks, pick a private room. It's worth it
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this hostel, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were very clean, including the shared bathrooms. There was an issue with the hot water when I first arrived, but was resolved shortly after. Hot water runs out, as expected in South America so I managed to get a good shower either early in the morning or very late at night.
Location is ideal, the walk is about 15-20 min from Plaza de Armas and maybe 10 min to San Blas. There are places to eat on every corner so finding something to eat/drink was never an issue.The thing I liked the most was that they held onto my luggage the days I left for Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca without charge.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple