“be aware”

Ranked #98 of 167 Hotels in Cusco
central coast nsw
“be aware”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I stayed here in July 2012 as part of tour. The hotel was chosen by the Tour compnay as part of package. I had two stays, before my trip to Machu Picchu I stayed 3 nights and one night. after I have no other experience of Hotels in Cusco so cannot compare. Also don"t know room charges.

Arrived at Hotel to be told one of the tour group in hospital with confirmed salmonella after eating dinner in restaurant his first night. Needless to say did not eat there beyond some dry toast in morning so i could take my doxie tablets.

Both rooms very dark. Wattage in light globes not really adequate for lighting.

Limited water pressure available,this is a country wide problem, Hot water not in great supply. Lukewarm at best. Only had one shower where hot water available and it cut out after 2 minutes. There was bath and shower.

Location, depends what you want, is away from main square but not insurmountable and I had no dramas with location,Someone else may do. There is a laundry and a local shop around the corner and there are supermakets and chemists nearby.

Staff pleasant and happy to help out. Rooms were cleaned appropriately and I loved the towel swans and elephants. On first stay had twin singles, as a tall person this presented problems as the sheets only came halfway up bed. Another group member had similar problems. Second time had double bed no problems with bedding.

Have to say spoke with other travellers whom I met later who stayed and had no problems at all.

TV worked, located well in room and had access to cable channels, eay to operate, Couldn't work out air conditioning at all but it didn't create any problems as I was warm enough when in room, didn't spend a lot of time in room as was out and about . Might be an issue if you spend a lot of time in room.

Peru is a third world country so bear that in mind when looking at accomodation options. I would not say don't stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for double bed when booking.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Newcastle, UK
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Stayed at this hotel for two spells of two nights during a tour of Peru. The hotel is situated slightly out of the centre of Cusco but it is only 15 minutes walk to the Plaza de Armas (central square). The rooms were spacious and clean with plenty of space for storage. Our room had a bath and shower with constant hot water. The only complaint about the rooms were that the walls are quite thin and you can hear conversations in the next room, however the hotel was quiet enough at night to get a good nights sleep.

The lobby area of the hotel is very pleasant with an open fire when it gets a bit cold and a constant supply of free coca tea to help with acclimatisation. There is also free Internet access in the lobby. All of the staff we friendly and the hotel stored our luggage for us while we were away for a couple of nights visiting the Sacred Valley and the bags were back in our room on our return.

Breakfast was average with a variety of fruit, bread and cheese, however the choice tended to run a bit low if you were late and took a while to be replenished. The hotel has a reasonably priced restaurant however we ate out so are unable to comment on the quality.

I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Cusco as a good quality mid-range hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank spw1984
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 May 2009

This is a new hotel that is about a 10-15 walk from the Plaza on a very busy street (thus, avoid any room that overlooks the road). They have heaters (needed May-Oct) and small flat screen in every room. As stated, the Hotel is one year old and the beds are comfortable. The sheets are changed daily. Their showers have hot water 24/7 BUT are near impossible to regulate, switching back and forth from super cold to scalding.

The staff is nice, but the front desk is not competent. You will need to check and double check on requests. The public part of the hotel is not heated and can be cold to very cold from late May through early October. The breakfast buffet is mediocre. You can tell it is done on the cheep. The management uses the cheapest bread, terrible margarine and they watered down milk, literally. Often the scrambled eggs are cold.

What irked me most was how the management tries to squeeze every dime out of visitors. A small bottle of water is marked up 300%. One night, I ordered late night pizzas for my group of 15, and I was told it would cost us almost $30 if we used the tables in the dining room! A service charge.

This could be a very good hotel with some tweaking. If you contact them direct you can get 30 to 40% discount in the low season. I would stay here again after I looked around for better hotels. 3.5 stars

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Utah
Reviewed 15 August 2008

Nice little hotle in Cusco. Clean rooms with updated baths water pressure and hot water small problem. Very attentive staff even loaning the teenagers a laptop when other lobby P.C. was being used. Coca tea allways available. We went in their winter and while the days were pleasant the night are gold and the lobby and halls unheating. the staff all wore coats. Slept well and enjoyed stay.

• Liked — nice clean, the made evan folded clothes left out by suitcase
  • Disliked — common areas not heated in winter
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank drivefast
Oakland, California
Reviewed 17 June 2008

The staff is superbly nice. They are on the right track, but the place is simply too new. The restaurant is ungrounded. We and about a dozen others waited over an hour ... didn't get water... nothing.. the waitress came out and started telling people that they didn't have what people ordered... after an hour! People got up and left. We felt a little bad because they mean well and they are nice, but it was very late and we were starving. The power went out twice within the first two hours of our stay. Others in the hotel said that it had gone out for 6 hours earlier in the afternoon, however, this wasn't the hotel's fault. They had no emergency lighting and few candles so if you didn't have a flashlight, you'd be SOL. They literally were still finishing my room when I walked in with my suitcase. Man was in there with tools, etc. I almost went to another place on the spot, but they pulled it together fast enough for me to stay. I don't know exactly what they charge, but I wouldn't pay more than $50 or $60 a night for this place until they get it together.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff, but most of Peru is like that
  • Disliked — No elevator. Restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Cusco hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 June 2008

We did not pick this hotel. Our original hostel did not have a room for us, so they put us up here and honored our original $35/night rate. I think this hotel’s normal rate is much higher though.

This was the nicest hotel that we stayed at in Peru (however we never spent more than $65 a night other than in the depths of the jungle). It’s a new (was still under construction), clean hotel with a very nice staff. The room had a flat screen TV and the bathroom was marble with a phone. Free internet is available in the lobby. The neighborhood is safe, but not the most convenient (near the market and PeruRail to Puno). However, taxis anywhere in the city are very cheap – less than $1 US.

My only complaints are the construction noise and the hot water was iffy and only was working about half the time.

• Liked — Beautiful, clean hotel with nice staff
  • Disliked — Construction noise, lack of 24/7 hot water and location
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple