“Nice place to stay with very helpful staff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cusco
La Posada Del Abuelo
Ranked #158 of 413 Cusco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2012

This is a good mid range locally owned and run option in cusco- the rooms are clean and during our stay we found the staff to be exceptionally helpful. Ordering a taxi, finding out about buses times, getting general information- the staff were only too happy to help. We were able to leave our bags, even when we were staying outside of cusco. It is also in a very safe location and close to all amenities.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed with our two children in this hotel. The room was very quiet (which is not easy to find in Cusco), clean and big. We feeled very welcome and received lots of helpful information. Absolutely recommended!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed here as part of our Intrepid tour, before and after a trek. The staff were very friendly and helpful (despite speaking no English), and our room was clean and spacious. THe downside was that it was very cold, and quite dark (with no window). However, there were plenty of blankets and the shower was wonderfully hot. My firat gripe was that our room reservation (via hotel bookings.com) hadn't been received - while this may well not have been their fault it was frustrating to lose the deposit we'd paid. And secondly, charging an extra dollar for eggs at breakfast (when otherwise it was just dry bread and jam) seemed churlish when we were paying 55 dollars a night. The location was good - approx 15mins to the main square, but passing lots of shops, sights and a market en route. And Cusco is definitely worth a couple of days stay.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Let me tell you that this place is one of the nicest places I have ever stayed at, while the prices are very reasonable! The staff are all very attentive to your needs, and the owner (Rosa Luz) will go out of the way to help you with anything you need. For example I got sick when I first got to Cusco from Lima, and she was there to help me arrange doctors' visits and whatever else I needed, she was also able to help me book a last minute trip to Machu Picchu which usually isn't very easy to attain or cheap. But I must add that at any hour of the day you can take a nice long hot shower which believe it or not is actually very hard to find in Cusco. The room/bathroom itself was nice, clean and spacious while the bed was a comfortable size and very warm which is key during July (their winter). They also offer wifi which is great and convenient, and laundry service for extra charge (very reasonable prices). Not to forget the complementary breakfast that they offer from 6-9am which will hold you over till lunch, and the wonderful coca tea they offer for the altitude sickness is great! Overall, I would say that La Posada del Abuela is a great steal, with a great attentive kind staff who will bend over backwards to make you feel at home!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2012

This hotel is a fantastic bang for the buck establishment. Rosa Luz and the staff were extremely helpful. On a past visit to Cusco, I stayed at a hotel very nearby that was twice as much and I preferred La Posada del Abuelo. I was permitted to stay awhile longer in my room after checkout as I had some work to do prior to my departure. The breakfast, while not deluxe, had hot coffee, tea, cereal, rolls, butter, jam, cereal and milk. I was asked, and accepted, the offer of fresh scrambled eggs in the mornings; a nice touch. The room was spacious, the bed comfortable and the facility was clean and well kept. The courtyard with comfortable chairs was great for catching up on work using the WiFi which I found to be reliable during my visit. Rosa Luz also helped me out when I needed to make a last minute change to my transportation requirements by immediately arranging a taxi for a four hour drive with only thirty minutes notice! I came back to the hotel and my bags were loaded in the taxi and ready to go! I would definitely stay there again when I return.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This was a pleasant place to stay in Cusco. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were there during the festival of Inti Raymi. The parade of costumed dancers filed past our hotel our first morning in Peru. That was amazing! We stayed here before departing on a 4 day Inca Trail hike with Wayki Trek which is conveniently located just a few blocks from this hotel. The hotel is only a short walk from the Plaza des Armas as well. We highly recommend the La Mozzarella restaurant which is located nearby as well. Fabricio gave us coca tea and a prescription for pills to help with our altitude sickness. The only downside of our experience was that our room was fairly cold upon arrival, and we had to pay for a heater ourselves.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I was raised in Lima, Peru (but now live in the US) and had been to Cuzco about 13 years ago; a group of friends from the states and I decided to go to Cuzco; unfortunately not all of us stayed at the same place; but I wish they did.

La Posada del Abuelo is unassuming small front; it's easy to miss just walking by or driving by. I chose this place, cause the price was really reasonable; we booked the place for 3 nights, but only actually stayed 2 since we stayed in Ollantaytambo the night before going to Machu Picchu. Which was nice to have that room to leave most of our stuff, and just take the necessary to Machu Picchu.

The rooms were large, breakfast was decent - bread, fresh juice, butter, jams. Rosa Luz (the owner) and her staff can also make you eggs; as a matter of fact they ask you what you want. Breakfast is included in the price of the hotel which is really nice, and the window is pretty good; I believe it was from 6-9AM. When we got there the first morning, Rosa Luz was also very accomodating; she was able to check us in early as well as give us some coca tea (for the altitude sickness).

The place has free WiFi; which is always good.

As far as location goes, it is in a quiet and safe neighborhood (US Consulate is about a block and a half down from the hotel); walking distance from the Plaza de Armas which was our meeting point for a lot of our excursions and short car ride to the airport.

On the last night, my fiancee got sick and we had to take her to the clinic which was conveniently across the street from the hotel. Her staff even though it was late at night was able to help me coordinate multiple things, as we were not sure if we were going to be able to make the flight the next day. They even ordered food for us to the hotel late at night. The next morning Rosa Luz showed true concern for my fiancee and was able to give me some tips, not only that but she told me not to worry about the 8AM check-out (which would've been fine with no sickness) and she allowed us to keep the room until our ride to the airport showed up for no extra charge and was attentive to any need we had. I couldn't thank her enough.

Ultimately, this is obviously not the Ritz; but the rooms are large, the location is great and overall the staff and the owner makes this place. The personal attention and really great service and pride in what they do is what would make me definitely stay at this hotel again and I would recommend it to anybody that asks.

Sidenote; Myself and another buddy on the trip were the only Spanish speakers out of a group of 8; if we weren't there there might have been a language barrier; but sometimes that just makes the trip a bit more interesting and fun.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends