“felt like home”

The Point Cusco
Ranked #71 of 465 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
“felt like home”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed at the Point for 6 nights and I could have stayed there much longer.
Let's start with the negative things, the staff was always nice but sometimes a little slow, e.g. when we came back from our inca jungle tour and brought some friends so that they would stay there as well, they started telling that the prices have changed and told confusing things, like there was space in that dorm and then there wasn't. finally everything got solved and our friends got to pay the same price as we did. also it happened twice to me that there was another person sleeping in my bed, after i discovered it, it always got arranged and i could sleep in another bed for the same prize. also my tooth paste and the tooth brush of my friend got stolen in the community bathroom and i heard about other things getting stolen, so don't put your tooth paste/brush in the community bathroom but in the lockers ;)
that might sound quite negative now, but the atmosphere made it all! i met the most amazing and relaxed people there. already during breakfast (extremely good: perfect, strong coffee, as much good bread as you want) you would constantly talk to other travellers, either to the ones working behind the bar or other guests, i made really close friends there and i never felt alone. in the nights i never felt like going out because the bar of the hostel offers beer pong, pool and such a cool atmosphere. the music is really good and diverse and the people just give it the vibe. you have to be the right person to like the hostel, but if you are, you will love it. i was really sad to leave, with all the people constantly around you, it started feeling like home. next time peru i might think of working there for a while :)
definitely recommended!! you get lots of cool people, activities (beer pong, table football, ping pong, pool, free shots), basic dorms and bathrooms, perfect location (5 minutes walk to plaza de armas) and really good breakfast for small money (22 soles for 12 bed dorm) ..

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Grande Cache, Alberta
Reviewed 17 February 2014

They promised wifi but didn`t provide it. Had to leave because of that. Staff is nice enough and the problems are not their fault, but place is poorly run in the bigger picture. Bar staff is responsible for preparing breakfast so it is never on time because they are up all night at the bar. The bar is where they focus their efforts as that is where they make their money. Maybe if I ran a large tab (tabs are promoted, gee wonder why :) I might have got wifi. Heard others complain about other things first hand. Cant think of anything positive to say angry about the wifi and lack of effort over the 3 days I was there to resolve the problem. I am was very patient and have travelled all over the world and this is the first time I have ever said ¨Don´t stay here¨. Lots of other options.

Thumbs down. Bigtime.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank timbrlnd
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I wanted to like this place I really did.

upon arrival the girl at the front desk wouldn't even look up and help me for about one minute, all she had to do was smile and say one second.

There is no friendly vibe here, most of the people staying there were people that worked there, they didnt interact with us at all, the one time some one spoke to me they were trying to sell chocolate's
please don't say "do you want a chocolate " if its not free, say "chocolate's for sale."

And where are the Backpacker's? in my room of 6, nobody checked in, in 3 days...
the people in the common area seemed to work here, or be friends with people who worked here.
nobody was greeting anybody or asking where there from.
the people who did talk seemed to be a couple.

I wanted to like this place because I loved the layout, decor and location.
I am starting to wonder if they make all there money from the locals at the bar
and us backpackers are just in the way.

When I rains, it floods the couch and carpet, a potential for mold.

A 5 in the morning people stood infront of my door, no not on the couch but my door step, taking in really loud in spanish, I think they worked here, I closed the door, they continued to talk.

I dont mind my dorm not locking, but they allow any one in the hostel to go to the bar, so I did not feel safe.

the Wifi was down from 1pm to 9pm, so I gave up on booking my trip to Puno. Will stay another 3 days at loki hostel.

The hot water would only last 15 seconds every 3 minutes, not sure why, spent allot of time
shivering in the corner.

Room Tip: Away from the front and bar.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MichaelDembenski
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We arrived to Cusco via PeruHop and were super excited to check out the town! When we arrived to the hostel, we were kindly greeted by Sue who was absolutely incredible. She told us everything we needed to know, showed us around the hostel, and gave us tips on the surrounding restaurants and shops. Throughout our entire stay, Sue was SO helpful and kind to us; we appreciated it so much.
As for the hostel... The dorms were very spacious, however they didn't have enough lockers, the room sprayer that went off above my bed every 30 minutes drove me insane and I felt like I was being poisoned, the bathrooms were always clean, but the showers were awful with temperature and water pressure. The bar was well equipped and always hopping with friendly staff and guests. The breakfast that was included was never on time and was never enough to feed everyone. However! Minus a few of the small petty things, we really enjoyed the hostel and its staff. The price and location were great and we would recommend The Point for a night or two.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
France
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We had to stay here one night as there was no more availability in the hostel we were staying in before doing the Inca Trail.
There are only 2 lockers in a dorm of 4, there was 3 of us which was fine but this is a really stupid idea if you're travelling alone and there isn't a locker free. There are no locks on the room doors meaning idiots in other rooms just barge in thinking it's funny.
There was an automatic room spray above my bed, sounds like a pathetic complaint but it drove me crazy. It sprays every half an hour which woke me up every single time and it's extremely intoxicating!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I arrived quite late and the taxi driver told me this was a party hostel,. something I didn't want. However the staff were super friendly and gave me a room next to the garden, which was quiet and suited me. There are parts of the hostel to party, and parts to chill out, just ask the super friendly reception guy for a room which suits your needs. The hostel is very clean and the showers are super hot. When I came back from Machu Picchu I booked myself back in here. A great place to stay in Cusco

Room Tip: Ask the friendly guy at reception if you want a quiet room rather than a party room. There are rooms...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Magpie_L
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 4 November 2013

years of traveling and tens of thousands of miles crossed and I've never had as much fun as we did on those nights we can barely remember out with friends I'll never forget. The Point is a great place to start/ finish/ spend your South American adventures

• Stayed December 2012