“Good place to stay”

Ranked #189 of 461 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Monterey Park, California
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

I'll start by saying, this Pirwa is a LOT better than the Pirwa we stayed in Lima. Rooms are definitely cleaner, and there is a heater in the room which makes the room warm in the night time. There is hot water, but it has an unstable cycle- super hot then cool/cold water then super hot again and the cycle continues throughout my entire shower. However, we DID got multiple bug bites after a night of sleep, I'm guessing the room LOOKS clean but maybe it's not as clean.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

Showing up in Cusco during high season without a reservation, exhausted from an overnight bus ride, I did not have much hostel searching energy to spare. This is the least expensive accommodation I found closest to Plaza de Armas.

Pros:
Close to plaza
Inexpensive
Free baggage storage
Hot water/towels/soap
Wifi

Cons:
Loud! Close to all night, every night of the week disco. Thin walls can hear people coming & going
Only 1 bathroom with toilet & shower, if the hostel was full this could be miserable
COLD rooms at night, need to be bundled up or in bed

• Stayed July 2012
Rio das Ostras, RJ
Reviewed 24 June 2012

When I got in Cusco with no reservations I was offered a hotel up in one of the hills. You don't want that if you are not used to the altitude there. Pirwa Suecia is close to Plaza de Armas which makes the period of adjustment to Cusco's high altitude easier. The rooms are clean and staff very friendly. I was able to leave my luggage there while going to Aguas Calientes for 2 days and when I returned it was there and nothing was missing :).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Kansas
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I chose this hostel on a whim -- just found it on a list of places and decided to stay there. When I first arrived in Cuzco, I waited at the airport for about 25 minutes for the "airport shuttle" that was promised to come retrieve me. When I realized this was not going to happen, I grabbed a cab to the place.
The hostel itself was really kinda cool. It reminded me of what I imagined a South American hostel would be like. The rooms were in the lower portion of the building. The whole building, however, and including my room, had skylights to let in natural light. High ceilings, stucco and rock walls -- nice.
As far as location -- it is less than 1 minute walk to the Plaza de Armas, which is the city center. There is a restaurant across from it and several tour guide shops around, including one associated with the hostel. The staff is friendly. The place is locked down at night with a staff member by the door if you decide to club it up in Cuzco.
Overall, there were some really great aspects to this place. I would likely stay again if I ever return to Cuzco.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a skylight.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Pros
-cheap price
-close to Plaza de Armas (city center/tourist center
-computer with quick internet, fast wifi connection
-Very warm blankets

Cons
-hot water is not guaranteed
-located close to a club (loud music all night)
-cold rooms (only way to be warm is get in bed)
-all rooms are located downstairs, and you can hear people coming and going all night

If you want to be centrally located in the tourist area of Cuzco for a cheap price this is the place for you. However, consider if you want to get a really good night's rest or save some money.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Oakland, California
Reviewed 20 December 2010

Positives
- Comfortable beds
- Private bathrooms
- Convenient location, half a block from the Plaza de Armas
- Very low price
- Awesome kitten (Enana) lives in the lobby
- Sells water for cheap in the lobby
- Television in each room
- Free computer with internet access in the communal room
- Staff was always friendly, available and responsive

Negatives
- Loud club music filtered into the rooms from the street until 5 AM
- Included breakfast is only bread and jam
- Showers do have hot water, but it’s tricky (don’t go all the way open for hot, turn to barely open)
- Water ends up all over the bathroom floor from the shower

Our toilet flushing mechanism broke on day two. Upon lifting the tank lid I discovered a ribbon where the chain should have been. Pirwa was quick to call the plumber and fix it for us, which was great, but I later found the original ribbon on the floor in the common room and the new ribbon that replaced it broke a few flushes later. Also, the hangar that we bent and used to flush the toilet while it was broken was reshaped and returned to the clothing rack – ick!

Overall, a decent hotel and good for the price. I would not rule out staying here again but I would definitely explore other options.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
NOVA
Reviewed 19 December 2010

Four of us stayed at this hotel immediately before and after hiking the Inca Trail. Double rooms consisted of either two twin beds or one double. In addition to the bed, furniture included nightstand, television, and sometimes a rack to hang clothing. The rooms had en suites with sink, toilet, and shower. Breakfast was included (this entailed juice, tea/coffee, rolls, and jam) at a restaurant on the square about 2 minutes away. Power outlet in the room was the same plug type as US, which was interesting as this certainly wasn’t the case for the rest of Peru, but still requires an adaptor for the actual voltage. Covered courtyard around which rooms were situated had a computer with internet and hot water and cups for tea, there was also a kitchen area off the courtyard.

Pros:
- Location: Right off the Plaza de Armas, within walking distance to most everything.
- Price: $25 a night for a double room with private bath was just slightly more per person than staying in a dorm.
- Luggage storage: I think it is fairly common, but they held our luggage in a locked storage room for the duration of our Inca Trail hike. While the room itself is locked, locking your luggage is still advised.
- Hotel cat: Ok, so maybe just a plus for me, but they had a kitten that lived in the front desk area. I didn’t see any rats, like another reviewer did, so perhaps this dealt with that problem.

Cons:
- Noise: The hotel is right on the Plaza de Armas, and there are night clubs nearby. You could definitely hear the bass through the wee hours. I didn’t find it terribly disturbing, but I also live in a somewhat urban area so I am inured to noises. A set of earplugs would block it out.
- No heat: I found the room plenty warm, and the blanket especially toasty, but there was no climate control that I noticed. This might be an issue in winter.
- Hot water: The shower had (as far as I could tell) 24 hour hot water, however, it took some finessing, normally that you had to keep the water pressure fairly low.

Overall, a good deal. You certainly can’t beat the price and location, I would recommend it to anyone travelling on a budget, and would consider staying there again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank hanna718