On the day of our arrival the moment we saw the insides of the room (see attached photo for the sample of their "modern" decoration) we were not expecting much from this hotel, but what followed was below our most modest expectations.
Firstly last thing we want after an 11 hour train trip is being continuously disturbed in our room( we received 4 phone calls from the restaurant asking us to order breakfast for the next day and tell them exactly what time we are going to have it). In the end I went to reception and asked if we can just come to the restaurant and order our breakfast then(the answer was yes). Next morning around 7am we showed up in the restaurant and found it completely empty. One more trip to reception and in ten minutes later they wake somebody up and in further 30 minutes our breakfast is finally served (to be fair, the restaurant staff was polite and the breakfast was ok). Next days we did order the breakfast in advance which has no impact on the speed of the service.
Next evening around 9pm I called reception and asked to turn off a very noisy fountain outside of our room, which was promptly done. At 4am the morning after, they start flushing the bloody thing making us jump in our beds (imagine the sound of toilet flushing for several minutes, but much louder).
Rooms were not cleaned properly, one day we arrived in the afternoon after a long hike to find that there are no towels in the bathroom but instead we have cleaning solution left in the room. Another 2 trips to reception, and finally in 20 minutes we get our towels.
And finally, MY WIFE'S EARRING WERE STOLEN DURING OUR LAST DAY IN THIS HOTEL; the staff was completely unapologetic, no one even bothered to show up in the room to pretend to help us search for them, and needless to say no refund of any kind or even apologies were offered.The hotel manager was very rude and dismissive and didn't seem to care much about the whole situation. The arguments he used were along the lines "We searched the room after you left and found nothing" and "This has never happened before".
I have no idea, where all the positive reviews here come from, we we been to 6 other hotels in Peru, and even without the stealing part, this place is by far the worst.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Cartagena CuscoHigh in the Peruvian Andes lies the historic city of Cuzco, famous for its unique blend of Spanish and Incan cultures. Located just off a tranquil square behind the main plaza of Cuzco, Casa Cartagena Boutique Hotel & Spa Cusco emerges after years of restoration, which respected the original design of the historic house, to become one of the most exclusive boutique hotels in the city. Its walls of carved stone, which combines warmth, elegance and perfection, invite you to experience the fascinating magic and traditional mysticism that will transport you through time in this historic Spanish house declared a cultural heritage site of Peru.Its lovely atmosphere was built on an ancient Incan site, occupied by the ruling nobility of that time and from which it takes its name: Casa Cartagena, former property of the local Spanish ruler of Cuzco, Don Fernando Cartagena and Santa Cruz.This luxury hotel in Cuzco is an intimate refuge that has only sixteen spacious and comfortable suites, which perfectly blend the modern with the ancestral and luxury with the historical. The rooms are distributed symmetrically along a spacious patio of your dreams where time is suspended. It is located in the historic center of Cuzco, which was declared by UNESCO as a world heritage site.Recovery from an exhausting trip to Machu Picchu or the Sacred Valley of the Incas with our Qoya Spa will be something truly unequalled. It can be perfectly complemented with a delicious dinner in our restaurant which offers the best of local cuisine, "La bodega de la Chola", where poet Pablo Neruda was inspired and Che Guevara shared bohemian nights; it is considered one of the best restaurants in Cuzco.All of these unique features of Casa Cartagena and our warm and personalized service will make your stay in Cuzco an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Casa Cartagena Boutique Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Casa Cartagena And Spa
- Hotel Casa Cartagena Cusco