Casa Cartagena stands out among the more reasonably priced luxury hotels in Cusco.
The place is very beautiful, featuring a nice combination of modern design architecture aptly fitted into a historic building, surrounding a beautiful courtyard.
The room we had was huge and funkily furnished. Clearly some architect has had a thought or two, before getting the contractor's to work -- which is always nice. They might have forgotten to check that the contractors actually did what they dreamed about, as some of the design details look nice, but turn out to be less practical (or les well realized) as the initial idea suggests ... the bath room door didn't close entirely, aeration in the bathroom was an issue, although the room had huge space, there wasn't much room to hang clothes or anything. But ... hey this is definitely the most thoroughly designed hotel, we have stayed in in Peru during our 2 weeks vacation.
The common spaces of the hotel are great, as mentioned, a very beautiful synergy between the 17th and 21st centuries, nothing to say here (and definitely better succeeded than at the JW Marriott, a couple of blocks down the road). They have a small pool, a great sunny courtyard, a business center fitted into a gigantic stone alcove ... just cool.
The restaurant serves the best boutique style made-to-order plus buffet breakfast we've had in Peru. We tried it for dinner one evening -- there the food and service didn't quite live up to our expectations and the restaurant's modern design, but the prices were at moderate Peruvian levels (sort of S/. 40 for an entree without much pretence).
The local designer-kled staff is very friendly and we felt them to be genuinely concerned about customer's well being. Forthcoming with outside restaurant recommendations as well as Cuzco do's&dont's, efficient and helpful probably characterizes them best.
Accounting organization doesn't seem to be the strong side of many Peruvian hotels, so we had one or the other discussion on when and with how much and what currency our credit card should be charged, but it all ended up as planned and within the usual margin all local hotels seem to make on forex dealings, even when paying by credit card.
It's clearly a recommended place in Cusco.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Cartagena CuscoHigh in the Peruvian Andes lies the historic city of Cuzco, famous for its unique blend of Spanish and Incan cultures. Located just off a tranquil square behind the main plaza of Cuzco, Casa Cartagena Boutique Hotel & Spa Cusco emerges after years of restoration, which respected the original design of the historic house, to become one of the most exclusive boutique hotels in the city. Its walls of carved stone, which combines warmth, elegance and perfection, invite you to experience the fascinating magic and traditional mysticism that will transport you through time in this historic Spanish house declared a cultural heritage site of Peru.Its lovely atmosphere was built on an ancient Incan site, occupied by the ruling nobility of that time and from which it takes its name: Casa Cartagena, former property of the local Spanish ruler of Cuzco, Don Fernando Cartagena and Santa Cruz.This luxury hotel in Cuzco is an intimate refuge that has only sixteen spacious and comfortable suites, which perfectly blend the modern with the ancestral and luxury with the historical. The rooms are distributed symmetrically along a spacious patio of your dreams where time is suspended. It is located in the historic center of Cuzco, which was declared by UNESCO as a world heritage site.Recovery from an exhausting trip to Machu Picchu or the Sacred Valley of the Incas with our Qoya Spa will be something truly unequalled. It can be perfectly complemented with a delicious dinner in our restaurant which offers the best of local cuisine, "La bodega de la Chola", where poet Pablo Neruda was inspired and Che Guevara shared bohemian nights; it is considered one of the best restaurants in Cuzco.All of these unique features of Casa Cartagena and our warm and personalized service will make your stay in Cuzco an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Casa Cartagena Boutique Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Casa Cartagena And Spa
- Hotel Casa Cartagena Cusco