“Pleasant boutique hotel”

Casa Cartagena Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
“Pleasant boutique hotel”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Like many other hotels in Cusco, Casa Cartagena is situated in a colonial-era religious building. It has been carefully restored, but I found the hyper-modern furnishings in the room somewhat off-key and not always the most comfortable. Very luxurious nonetheless, coupled with excellent service, including a welcome pot of tea and refreshments. The breakfast was not quite at the level we expected, given the standards of the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SanTrav71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Staying here was a memorable experience, the place is a very tasteful restoration of an old monastery, and was a very luxurious place to stay. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the rooms were beautiful, and it was extremely quiet and civilized. The restaurant was great for both the included breakfast and other meals. Great location, about a block and a half away from the main square - very walkable to the best parts of town, and yet far enough away to be dead quiet.

There are definitely cheaper (and more expensive) places to stay, but this place seemed like very good value for the experience, and well worth the cost.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed here for one night after spending nearly 1 week in the Amazonian jungle. I needed a quiet place to work as well as to relax before catching my flight back to the US the next day, and I was so grateful for the peaceful and luxurious setting. Wifi was reliable. My room was on a 2nd story with a balcony and overlooked the beautiful courtyard. I also had a fantastic bathroom with a deep bathtub and large shower, and it came with several candles so you could enjoy a candle-lit bath. I ate most meals at the hotel restaurant. The food was delicious and the staff is extremely courteous and kind. I had a massage at the spa. I provided feedback directly to the spa - recommending that they provided a smooth surface for guests to rest their heads when they are facedown on the table...I had towel imprints on my face at the end of my massage. The 'happy hour' where you learn how to make pisco sours was really fun. The hotel is an uphill walk from Cusco center, and a short walk from the delightful restaurant, the Fallen Angel. I would stay here again and highly recommend this hotel for solo or couple travelers.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Lima
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Perhaps it was an off day but I can not recommend this hotel. Things started out well --, was picked up at airport on Cusco Day and checked in easily at 9AM (Cusco flights arrive early). Beautiful view of patio and clouds from balcony. I was given the welcome teapot of coca tea, good juice and some complimentary chocolates and alfafores as other reviewers mentioned. But after that things went downhill. As of 9PM, there is no sign of the famous turndown service, and the teapot and dirty dishes from my arrival are still sitting on my table - no room cleaning was done all day. It is well known that visitors need to drink lots of water on arrival at high altitude - so you would think a good hotel would make the extra effort to provide water (free or not). When I arrived, there was no complimentary drinking water in my room, and only one tiny bottle of Evian in the minifridge for sale. I went to reception and asked for drinking water. The reception staff were friendly and said some would be sent. Never arrived. I later asked where I could buy drinking water, but they insisted they would provide it. I went out, had late lunch, enjoyed visiting some tourist sites, and came back around 5:30PM, and.. still no drinking water in my room. I asked again and was assured it would be sent. At 6:30PM, I was getting beyond thirsty with no access to drinking water. So I went back to the desk for a 3rd time to ask for water and had to complain long and loudly before the person at the reception desk took responsibility to do anything. Maybe the usual staff were off at the Cusco Day holiday and parade? However, there are signs of more consistent lack of attention to detail. The phone by my bed beeped off and on, waking me up, so I finally unplugged it after trying to troubleshoot it - something seems to be wrong with its charger. For a light supper, I thought I would try their beautiful restaurant. I ordered the 3 flavor causas (peruvian mashed potato) and was disappointed- they were pretty but very salty. Definitely not the same calibre of Peruvian Cuisine food as served in other places in Cuzco. As other reviewers have noted, the shower set up was not well-designed. Also, they only provide one bar of soap, so you have to carry it back and forth between shower and sink. The WIFI does work very well (router in the room). Heater works but only on high setting of the fan. I dont know if the oxygen works, .. it is only available on urgent request. It is in a good location, but so are other hotels. My advice -- find another hotel if you are looking for careful attention to detail and quality service not just luxury looks. Overall I would put it in the 3 star category, but it is priced in the 5+ star category, and listed as 4.5 stars.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Stefano B, Gerente at Casa Cartagena Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest foremost thank you for the time it took you to leave us your comments and suggestions, we would like to clarify this misunderstanding, because as I can see; We did not have good communication with you and explain you that the water that we offer during the turndown service is at 630 pm; time that our distinguished guests return of make their tours around the city or the Sacred Valley. Therefore in our mini-bar we offer Evian water to our guests who wish to buy it, also want to thank the suggestion of placing the water early in the morning, is the first time we be suggested to do this in our 5 years of activity , which we take very seriously. I am sorry that the causa 3 flavors of our restaurant have seemed salty to you, we had immediately changed their course by other one according to your preference, if we had let it be known; we regret that you do not communicated this to the waiter to make the change. We hope to have you again in Casa Cartagena to attendyou and we can meet all your expectations.

Regards,

Juan Carlos Salas Burneo.
Hotel Manager
Greater Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed here 2 nights before going to Machu Picchu and another night on the way back. We were lucky enough to get the HUGE Presidential Suite on the last night which was special, but the room we had the first two nights was also great - modern yet charming at the same time. The staff here were so helpful and so nice - from the reception staff to the concierge to the young lady that served us breakfast each day - all were wonderful. Beautiful courtyard setting in the middle of the hotel is nice too to sit on your balcony and enjoy a coca tea or coffee.
The location was great too - less than 5 minute walk to Plaza de Armas - and climb up the hill gets you to San Cristobal church where the view over Cusco is sensational and well worth the effort to walk up there.
The breakfast was excellent - the eggs cooked as you like well presented especially.

Room Tip: If lucky enough to get the Presidential suite then great - we stayed Room 1 which was excellent also...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

After a truly horrid trip to Peru, courtesy of AirFrance delays, we were very pleased to arrive at this hotel, where we were welcomed with coca tea and juice. The service was excellent throughout our stay, from the lovely (small) spa being fired up especially for us (alongside provision of more complimentary drinks) to the turn down service. Breakfast was absolutely excellent. The room was large, perfectly equipped and extremely comfortable. I would definitely recommend.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank llyurch
New Hampshire, USA
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We were here for two nights. Great service. Nice rooms. My only reservation would be the design of the shower -- it was one of those open ones, so that the floor got soaked despite two shower mats. Besides the small complaint, the place was great. Proximity to the main plaza was close. It was nice that the hotel was able to pump in extra oxygen for us (additional rounds result in a fee). The large jacuzzi was nice @ the spa. The platform bed was very comfortable. Definitely consider staying here while in Cusco.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple