“It hurt me to leave, I could have moved in for good”

Casa Cartagena Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 163 Hotels in Cusco
Dublin, Ireland
“It hurt me to leave, I could have moved in for good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2010

An incredible hotel!!

Firstly, the rooms were sensational and not to be faulted, we had everything our hearts desired! The staff were incredible, and we had breakfast brought to our room every morning when we chose it to be.

We used the spa facilities daily which are beautiful!

I really cannot describe what it was like, than to say it was ideal! The staff, the location (absolutely perfect, minutes away from the Plaza de Armas, near great restaurants and clubs and walking distance to Sacsayhuaman), the atmosphere!

Perfect place to stay when visiting Cusco!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2009

Casa Cartagena is really awesome! It was like staying in a piece of history but it has really funky contemporary touches like chairs and tables that light up and a huge, glass globe in the garden that glows at night. We met the Italian owner Stefano who told us it is a protected heritage building he fell in love with. Well, so did we!

I don’t think we have ever stayed in a hotel where we felt so much at home. And what a home! We had two humongous suites, numbers 10 and 11, and by closing a door it was like a 2-room apartment with a small hall in between, so my mother-in-law was really close but not on top of us.

We had read that the rooms had an oxygen system and this comforted my mother-in-law, although in fact she did not need it as she had no problems with the altitude, except for feeling a bit out of breath when she climbed stairs and if she walked too fast. Actually we all noticed the difference.

The staff were really friendly asking us each morning where we were going and then enquiring about our day when we got back. One evening we had a great Peruvian meal in the La Chola restaurant, another night the two of us had a romantic dinner on our balcony.

The only pity was we did not get to spentd more time relaxing in the garden and in the great Jacuzzi in the spa. Next year we are coming back to celebrate our 10th anniversary, this time without Gran! And, as we’ve done Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley of the Incas, we plan to spend 3 days chilling out with plenty of spa treatments, Pisco Sour cocktails, and no early wake-up calls!

Our advice is that anyone going to Cusco would be crazy to stay anywhere else. It has to be Casa Cartagena. Also because it is so central, the main square is just 5 minutes down the road. Take my word for it, you will never regret it and never forget it!

Paca7, Dublin

1 Thank Paca7
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2009

I recently stayed at Casa Cartagena on a travel research FAM trip with TACA Airlines. Our group stayed two nights as part of our business trip and at the end of our FAM trip, I decided to stay another week in Cusco. I met the owner of Casa Cartagena (Stefano), and he invited me to stay at the hotel for the remainder of my stay in Cusco.

I highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for modern luxury combined with Old World Charm. I visited other hotels in Cusco, but I have to say that Casa Cartagena was my favorite, both in terms of comfort and class, and the great staff that works there.

The hotel has a spa/sauna which I used every evening after a day of walking around the city, and the breakfast service is outstanding. The hotel is just off the main square and across from Fallen Angel, a cool, hip bar/lounge that is a must visit when you're in Cusco!

One of the things I enjoyed most about the hotel was the decor and furniture, all imported from Italy, where Stefano the owner is from.

I run a travel company and I plan on referring my clients to Casa Cartagena when they visit Cusco.

If you're going to Cusco and are looking for a really nice place to stay, this is by far the best option!

Harlow from Tico Guide Travel

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Weston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

This was my 5th time in Cusco and I was absolutely amazed with Casa Cartagena and its service.
I loved every single design detail in my very confortable room and the perfect combination of the original architecture and modern accents.
I didn't wanted to leave the hotel at any time, I just wanted to stay there and relax all day long.
I completely recommend this hotel to everybody!!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Pupeta
Barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2009

I passed 5 beautiful days with all my family, my parents, my daughter and my husband, this hotel is perfect for any family we had an outstanding room where in one floor my husband and I sleept and in the second floor my daughter, I have been few times in cusco and never found such a gorgeous place ever, the rooms are very spacious, and the hotel so beautiful never expected such a warm, cozy place. the service was the best we could have our meals in our private balcony with a spectacular view of the statu of the white christ and the best part was that after the tours we all enjoyed the spa, the view of the spa to the cusco city and the best hands i ever tryed was heaven, if you can afford this do not doubt in staying there, my parents loved the place and my daughter enjoyed the swimming pool, and my husband and I enjoyed the most romantic dinner in this inka place, i have to go back again!!!!

2 Thank caffaworld
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2009

Hello, I stayed recently (October '09) at Casa Cartagena with my whole family for 04 nights and we all had the best possible experience:
The place: It is really gorgeous. It tastefully combines history and a contemporary flare. The "Casa" has an Inca base/structure made out of amazingly sculped stones, colonial structrues built on top of the Inca stones, modern accents and thoughtfully illumination design throughout.
The "patio": It is so relaxing that I am sure you'll love to spend time there. This big central patio has two levels. The top level is a very secluded area with a small water fountain and nice garden. Perfect for some quiet reading. The stairs that take you to the lower level of the patio have two water fountains on the side that resemble the Inca acqueducts. There is a nice garden in the center of this lower patio and it has a small pond with an illuminated big white ball that reminds you that Cusco was deemed to be the world's belly button by the Incas.There are some tables where you can have breakfast, lunch or dinner outdoors. My family spent several hours chating there and contemplating the illuminated Christ statue that sits on top of the hill.
The room: I couldn't ask for more comfort. Very spacious. It also keeps a historic architecture (i.e. high ceilings, original colonial ample floorplan, portions of colonial "frescos" that were kept intact) with lots of modern and confortable furniture and illumination. Our bathroom was very modern, spacious and comfortable.
The spa: such a perfect place to relax after a tiring day. It is great. The indoors jacuzzi has an spectacular view to"San Blas" (artisan district).
The food: "La Chola" restaurant at Casa Cartagena pleasantly surprised us everyday with a good combination of Peruvian tastes and modern cuisine.
The servicepersonnel: It was very friendly and trully personalized. The fact that Casa Cartagena has only 15 rooms allows them to offer such level of personalization. They felt us feel "en casa" (at home).

What else can I say... only that the everyone in our party thought that Casa Cartagena was a destination by its own.

Rafael