“Carlos is wonderful”

Ranked #1 of 351 Cusco B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Carlos is wonderful”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed 5 nights at Second Home and loved every minute. The room was roomy and clean and the location was fantastic. Breakfast was simple and delicious. Carlos made sure that we never wanted for anything. Don't hesitate a minute to stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank I'mPedro

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed at Second Home Cusco a couple of years ago with my cousin and just like the name suggests it truly was a home away from home. We received a warm welcome when we arrived and the owner was very helpful and available to help us everyday of our stay. The best thing about second home is that it has only 4 rooms and that allows for very personal attention given to their guests. Carlos made a few phone calls to get us answers to some questions we had about crossing into Bolivia. I am glad I did my research and booked this place and I want to go back someday and stay here again. I have been to many hotels and guest houses in the past but this is the only review I remembered to write years after my trip. I don't even remember the names of most places I have stayed at but this place was so perfect it just stuck with me.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the second floor before the Inca trail and a room on the first floor after th...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank rupalpatel
Payson, Arizona
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We arrived at Second Home shortly after arriving in Cusco. Carlos greeted us at the door and helped us with our bags. He was very pleasant and was fluent in english and spanish. As soon as we stepped in we knew we had made the right choice. Carlos offered us coca tea and shared his thoughts on places to eat and things to do during our two day visit. He gave us a map and showed us to our room that was naturally lit, spacious and very cozy! The hot water was hot and the water pressure was great! Internet access was fast and reliable. The walls are very thick so it was very very quiet at night! Vicki was very pleasant and made us coffee and fresh breakfast every morning. If we make it back someday we will definately stay here again!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Angie R
Aventura, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2014

we were 3 families (6 adults, 6 teens). Before going to Machu Picchu we stayed in a hotel. Then we stayed at the Second Home in Cusco.
Booked at Second Home. It's cosy, warm, owner is very pleasant, interesting, open mind.
Breakfast (continental) is simple but VERY GOOD (bread is from Cusco Monastery).
Location itself is nice, in a narrow street very tipical.
We all agreed, that's was a nice stay, feeling comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank copluch
Harlingen, TX
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed at Second Home Cusco for five consecutive nights in March 2014 as part of a longer trip to Peru. The very high ranking of this bed and breakfast here on TripAdvisor, the dozens of very positive reviews from former guests, and the write-up of this establishment in the latest edition of the Lonely Planet Peru guidebook were the deciding factors in me choosing this lodging for several nights in Cusco.

Communication with Carlos, the owner and operator of Second Home Cusco, was efficient and easy, with all of my e-mails answered nearly immediately. I reserved a room for five consecutive nights and also arranged for an airport pick-up. I reconfirmed the reservation and airport pick-up with Carlos about two weeks before my arrival in Cusco.

When I arrived at the airport in Cusco, Wilbur, Second Home Cusco's exclusive taxi driver, was waiting for me just outside the exit doors, holding a whiteboard with my name on it. The drive to the bed and breakfast took about 15 minutes.

Upon arriving at Second Home Cusco I met Carlos, who provided me with two maps and gave me advice on where the PeruRail and Machu Picchu ticket offices were located and where the nearest internet cafe and money exchanging businesses were in Cusco. Carlos then showed me to my room, the Patio Suite.

The bedroom of the Patio Suite featured a bed with four huge and fluffy pillows, crisp and clean sheets, and a fluffy comforter. A telephone, space heater, television with a few channels in english (BBC), and bottled water (replaced as quickly as you consumed it) was also located in the bedroom.

The bathroom of the Patio Suite was tiled throughout, and featured large and fluffy towels with no tears or stains, ample hot water and powerful water pressure in the shower, and even high-quality toilet paper (Kleenex, not that recycled newspaper-type toilet paper you get in most hotels nowadays).

The living room of the Patio Suite featured a large couch, stone table, and storage closet with a security safe located inside. The living room, bathroom, and bedroom of the Patio Suite were very clean throughout, and housekeeping did a great job freshening the room each day.

The Patio Suite did not feature air conditioning, however it was not needed due to the mild days, cool nights, and dry air in Cusco.

In the mornings, breakfast consisted of eggs (either scrambled or fried), warmed sliced baguette bread with butter and jam, yogurt, granola, coffee, fresh-squeezed orange juice, and coca tea. It wasn't a massive amount of food, but it was enough to get you on your feet and out the front door for a day of sightseeing. And on the day that I visited Machu Picchu, Carlos woke up early and prepared breakfast for me at 4:45am. Breakfast each morning was made even more pleasant with Carlos and I exchanging travel stories.

For my last day in Cusco at my request, Carlos arranged for Wilbur to take me on a private tour of Sacsaywaman, Qenqo, Pukapukara, and Tambomachay. Wilbur was an excellent tour guide, spoke a little english, and was very knowledgeable about the four ruins and little unusual things about Cusco (for example, why you see a cross and two bulls on the roofs of the homes in the countryside). For the private, three-hour tour of the four ruins, I paid Wilbur 130 Soles. (Note: You will also need to purchase a partial Boleto Turistico for 70 Soles at any of the four ruins to visit all four of the ruins in one day).

For five consecutive nights at Second Home Cusco, I paid $440. Due to the length of my stay, the airport pick-up (and return to the airport) with Wilbur was free.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Second Home Cusco and would return there readily if I visited Cusco in the future. If you are interested in making a reservation at this bed and breakfast, make sure you book well in advance, as this establishment is Carlos' private home and features only three rooms available for lodging.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank weatherman1974
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 March 2014

From the minute we first walked in, the owner Carlos Delfin made us feel completely at home. Helpful with suggestions and advice and fluent in both English and Spanish, Carlos has cared for every detail at second home. Each suite is spacious and well furnished, the wifi reception and electricity is great, and the shower and bathroom are excellent. Each morning he makes breakfast for you, and other guests, in a friendly setting that encourages you to spend some time and get to know your fellow travelers. The room was cleaned daily and airport transportation was arranged for no cost. Also found it enjoyable to be in San Blas slightly removed from the grittier parts of central Cusco. To be clear though the location is extremely convenient. I can't more strongly recommend a hotel than I recommend this one. I can't imagine staying anywhere else is Cusco.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Josh L
Home Counties
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Just returned from four days staying in this delightful house located in the pedestrianised old part of Cusco. So much to see in the area and so the time flew. Located in the San Blas district about 100 metres from the town square with restaurants at hand it is an ideal place to stay. Cusco main square is only about 250 metres away too so all the tourist sites are at hand. The streets are to the old Inca pattern so are either fully pedestrianised or quiet. Driver, Manuel, picked us up at the station: arranged for a couple of days sightseeing with him and he was very pleasant and helpful. Carlos could not have been a more congenial and charming host. A quiet, clean and comfortable stay: thank you. An ideal place from which to explore the breathtaking Sacred Valley area for a few days.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple