“I would stay here again!”

La Hosteria de Anita
Ranked #36 of 432 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Pennsylvania
“I would stay here again!”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I stayed here for two nights in Cusco, before leaving for the Sacred Valley. It is located off a quiet side street, up a couple flights of steep stairs in lovely San Blas. I had room #7 which has a big window with lots of morning sunlight and a wonderful view of the distant hills surrounding Cusco. Large bright bathroom, shower had great water pressure with lots of hot water, beds had warm heavy blankets, flat screen tv, all the comforts of home. Friday night there was loud music playing in a local bar late at night. Saturday night no music. But, I aways travel with ear plugs anyway, for a guaranteed good night's rest. Breakfast was included, free coca tea available all hours. Friendly helpful staff. I was very happy here. My only regret is that I did not stay here again when I returned to Cusco, instead I opted for Amaru 1. La Hosteria de Anita is smaller, much more personal.

Room Tip: room #7 has great views of the hills surrounding Cusco
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank stormbird

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Forestville, California
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We just returned from 10 days at this hostal in Cusco. We found it quite charming! Close to Plaza de Armas, Av del Sol, San Pedro Market. The bed was comfortable, plenty of water in the shower - hot and cold (could use hot water in the sink), lovely garden, great breakfast of pan, fruit salad with granola and yogurt, juice, cafe con leche and eggs if you had room! Wifi in the rooms and two public access computers. Everyone was very nice and accommodating. Would highly recommend this hostal. The stairs from Av Ruinas might be a problem for some people, but they carry your bags up and down for you and just think of all that great exercise you'll be getting!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
New Zealand
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Great, friendly, secure, intimate, family run hostel. Rooms with private bath, hot water and very well priced. The staff were welcoming and extremely helpful. Great setting, very close to the main plaza with a small garden courtyard with rooms at two levels surrouinding it. Very quiet. Efficient laundry service. Good breakfasts included. A great place to stay in Cusco.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I've decided that I'm done with sharing a room and bathroom with other people, and it's time to start paying a bit more to get a bit more...

At $24 a night, my expectations were quite low... and they met them. The rooms were clean, but extremely cold. The showers had hot water, but you either got scalded or frozen with no middle ground. The breakfast was decent, but they wanted to charge more if you want more than one egg at breakfast.

There is free wifi in the lobby, and two PCs available for your use.

The staff are friendly, but don't speak English (which is a challenge for the Spanish-challenged among us). They did wake me up at the appointed time, kept my gear for me while I went trekking in the Andes, offered to store more valuable items in their safe, and coordinated transportation to and from the airport for me (all good things).

Overall, it's a decent place... if you know what you're expecting.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Arrived at 7h00 am in the morning. Driver was waiting for me and it is true that he parks on the other side of the street to save the so;le it costs to enter the airport but it is a 3 minutes walk and if you can't walk 3 minutes what are you doing traveling in Peru? My room was ready waiting for me even so early which was very nice.

The rooms are big and comfy for 23us$ a night it was ridiculous to have such a big room ( one double and one single bed ) and the garden is quite nice. The fact that you have to go thru 2 locked doors before getting to the rooms was a nice thing too since it felt totally secure. I didn't put all the points for the room for two reasons 1- no security box and 2- the bathroom gets very very cold as it is tiled and not well isolated but that's it.

As for service now. Told them the bathroom was cold they provided a portable heater. Had difficulty understanding the woman at the post office that insisted on using big words and speak as fast as possible and one of the employee went and sent my package for me walking one way ( on the descent ) for 20 minutes to get there to save me 4 soles of taxi! They took care of my laundry ( one pale and one dark ) for 7 soles, the breakfast were very nice and the cleanliness is spot on. They even changed my towels every single day so it told me they were on it.

Location : 5 minutes ( not even ) of Plaza de Armas on a street that has a couple very nice restaurants and a little less expensive than those on the Plaza, you won't ear a sound from the street since it's on a backstreet only pedestrian and in an inside yard.

Conclusion : I would go back there in a heartbeat and I was very very happy about my choice and good trip in Cusco.

Room Tip: ask a room at the second level, they get more sun
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 24 November 2010

Pick-up from the airport was ok, except that the driver parked at a gas station across the street instead of in the airport. A little odd. There isn't direct access from the street, you have to climb up a steep set of stairs - the driver helped us with our suitcase, but keep this in mind if you don't have help. Also, there's no sign in front. Again, odd. But we arrived way before check-in, they cleaned the room quickly while we had their light breakfast (S/. 8, or about US$3, per person for tea, fruit salad, coffee, all the bread you can eat, and 1-2 eggs how you like them.

The good:

The place is pretty, with a lovely central courtyard, free wifi (not all rooms get a good signal. We were in #6, so if that's important to you, check.)

The rooms are very clean, nothing too fancy, but good light, lots of hot water with good pressure, nice windows with seating facing the courtyard. We really loved the atmosphere, and you're 3 blocks from the Plaza de Armas, and half a block from three vegetarian/vegan-friendly restaurants, which was a happy coincidence for me. Up to that point, it was great - helpful staff, free coca tea all of the time, couldn't have been more pleased with the deal ($30/night talked down from $33).

The bad:

The night before our departure, I wanted to settle the bill since we were leaving very early. We asked for a "factura", to write it off as a business expense. They said they would charge us extra for that (the 19% tax, which would have been $17. This is illegal to do in Peru) and that they needed copies of our IDs to do it (also, not standard protocol. No need for any IDs, plus they already had our document numbers.) We gave up easily, and tried to pay $90 with $100. They didn't have change, and told us we could go out and break the bill. It was after dark, and I couldn't believe that they were asking us to do it. We also owed for breakfast on the morning we arrived (bfast is included only for each night you stay.) Tried to pay with S/. 20. Again, no change (they only had to give me S/. 4 back!) I told her she could give me the change from the USD in soles, which is when I saw that she was using 2.5 as the exchange rate, when on the street it's 2.79 (totally ridiculous rate for the hotel to charge.) I refused to pay anything until they had proper change. Again, what kind of hotel asks their guests to go break bills, especially for such little change? $10, really? And they also don't accept ANY credit cards.

To round out this last transaction with them, we asked about transport to the airport. Only one-way taxi is apparently included -- this was not specified before. When I asked how much they charged, the receptionist told us S/. 10. It just *seemed* ridiculous, given that the airport isn't far and fares around town aren't more than S/. 2.50. When I said, thanks but no, she proceeded to tell me it was unsafe to take a cab that wasn't one of theirs (we've been cabbing it around here for three days with no problems.)

When we checked out at 6 am, the young man who cleans also doubled as the receptionist - he did a fine job, but it was obvious that he wasn't used to it and that the owner/manager was skimping on personnel.

Overall, nice hotel at a good price. I wish I could recommend it whole-heartedly, but they definitely ruined at the end for us with a whole heap of nonsense. If you go there, be on your toes regarding billing. Also, don't take the first price they offer you for the night. Bargain it down at least a few dollars.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank VeganoPeru
New Mexico
Reviewed 4 October 2010

The rooms were a bit small but there was hot water, clean sheets, cozy warm blankets, locked security doors, a tasty breakfast with eggs cooked to order and EXCELLENT cafe con leche. A nice little garden area (be there when the huge cherry tree is in full fruit) Close to good restaurants just down the street [well, o.k. the 'stairs' at the end of the street] They'll do your laundry for almost nothing, offer you an unending supply of hot coca tea. This is a nice place to stay - I highly recommend it.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cusco
Amaru Valle Hotel
#68 of 432 in Cusco
Munaycha Hospedaje
Munaycha Hospedaje
#13 of 346 in Cusco

Been to La Hosteria de Anita? Share your experiences!