“Central, simple and comfortable”

Hostal Buena Vista - Cusco
Ranked #68 of 351 Cusco B&B and Inns
Wellington, New Zealand
“Central, simple and comfortable”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed at Buena Vista for four nights as part of an Intrepid tour. The rooms were spacious, beds very comfortable,the showers hot and the breakfast yummy. The hostal has a locked gate and the reception staff are always around so you feel very safe. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful, they helped us out with many things. Plus it is only a 3 minute walk from the main square.

The only downside is that the rooms are very cold, However when we talked to the reception staff about this, they provided us with a heater which warmed the room up in no time.

If you are looking to stay somewhere close to the centre of town which is affordable and clean, then I would definitely recommend Buena Vista.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I spent a day and night here on my way back from Machu Picchu. I travelled alone and I felt safe there as access is limited by a locked gate that is watched by the person on duty. The property was centrally located, a cheap ride from teh airport. Breakfast was simple but nice (eggs, fruit, bread, coffee, tea). The manager Dalma was great, she was polite, helpful and made sure I was taken care of, even moving me to an interior room since it would be warmer. The showers had very hot water which was very welcome since cusco was cold when I stayed there. Even though I only stayed a day I would recommend this property to everyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights as part of the Intrepid Inka Express tour. I came in a couple of days early and stayed an extra night after the tour was over. I would consider these basic accommodations: clean, warm, comfortable beds, friendly staff, basic but tasty breakfast and a great location. On the flip side, there was no heat in the rooms (common for this area, I understand), and the hot water was in short supply during high demand times. I didn't find noise to be an issue, other than the neighborhood roosters pre-dawn, but that kind of actually added to the atmosphere. I think it just depends on the room you have (facing the street versus the courtyard, etc).

If you're looking for a decent place to stay on a budget with a lot of local flavor, this is a solid choice. If you're looking for more pampering, this might not be the best option. Overall I was very satisfied with the experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Wynyard, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Buena Vista Hostal, in Cusco, from about the 16 June to 3 July, 2012 and found it very friendly and comfortable, although the rooms are cold during the cool months. We stayed in room 11 for a few days then moved to room 5, which is supposed to be the best room. It has a beautiful view out over the city and is on the second (top) floor, with plenty of room, but is extra cold because the bathroom, added on as an afterthought, is full of holes and cracks which let cold air in and warm air out. We managed fine as we got a heater from the staff when we moved in (I was very ill at the time from a bad meal somewhere) and they never asked for it back. I heard that some guests had to pay for a heater. Good standard breakfasts of fruit, cereal, eggs and flat roll with jam, and lots of coca tea and coffee, but gets a bit monotonous after awhile. Eating area is outside with no sun on it so is also cold in the morning. The hostal is up a side street close to the main plaza and within walking distance of San Blas and Sacsaywahman, although it is a bit of a climb and very tiring due to the altitude, especially after just arriving in Cusco. It is also close to Jack’s restaurant, a great place to get filled up with good food at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Room 13 is owners suite available when he not there. Room 12 nice, large, nice garden view Room 5...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank hereandtherephotos
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Cusco is quite a noisy town that has to struggle with pollution which bothered me a lot, especially after coming back from the peaceful and quiet sacred valley.
so Buena Vista is the perfect "hide away" in a very quiet part of Cusco. I stayed in room no. 13 which used to be the owners appartement, two big rooms and a big bathroom. I experienced this as a touch of luxury.

There is a nice courtyard with wifi, free coffee and mate de coca.

I also needed a medical advice, so the very helpful girl at reception has send me to a medical station for tourists where I got to see a doctor within 2 minutes!

I can highly recommand this hostal.

Room Tip: ask for room no. 13
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Zauberberg1
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed at Buena Vista for one night as part of our Intrepid Inca Express Tour. The place is clean and quaint. The staff was pleasant and courteous, always willing to help. Rooms were spacious and well-ventilated, but can get cold at night. There is a nice patio for breakfast and just to hang out. Coca leaves are available. Hot water for showers arcan run out pretty quickly during peak hours. From Plaza D'Armas, you have to go uphill for about 10 minutes to get this hostel. If you have not adjusted to the altitude, this can be quite an ordeal. I suppose because it's relatively close to the center of town, there was also a lot of noise.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Was booked here as part of an Intrepid Travel Inca Trail Express package for 1 night before/ 1 night after the trek. Because we wanted longer acclimatization time, we also decided to stay 1 extra night here before our 10AM orientation meeting the next day and after spending 2 nights in Sacred Valley (at Green House, awesome place!). First, I contacted Intrepid and they wanted $80 to book us here one night early....I declined and contacted the hotel directly via e-mail and they promptly responded with a $45 rate and warned that while we would have a private bathroom, it was outside the room and not directly attached. We said that was no problem, and they held our reservation without any deposit required.

Upon arrival at about 5PM, we were told that they had overbooked and now we would need to share 3 public bathrooms among 2 rooms that did not have them attached. They apologized and without prompting volunteered to lower our rate to 80 Soles/ $30. Our overflow room turned out to be a tiny little closet with low ceilings, a single bulb for light, tiny window, tiny TV, small closet, twin bed, one sitting chair, wal-mart thin duvet, and a power outlet. The room (#15) was upstairs in an overflow section so a good walk away from any bathrooms (which always seemed to be out of toilet paper). Let's just say this room was as basic as you can get without staying in a real hostal and sharing with other people. They made up for it on our next 2 nights that were part of the official tour by giving us their best room (#12) which is detached from the others (more quiet), is VERY large with a large window that opens up to a small little garden where you can sit on steps, a TV, larger bed with wool blanket and down duvet, and a VERY large private bathroom.

Following are general comments on the hostal (hotel in English...this isn't a hostal as you know it in Europe):

GOOD
- Everyone is very friendly and helpful
- For the price, rooms were adequate and generally well cleaned and sized.
- Bathrooms were clean and well maintained. Be aware, as in all of Peru, you cannot flush ANY paper in the toilets so there are little trash cans beside for making those deposits. They provide you with washclothes, towels, soap, and shampoo.
- Nice breakfast consisting of made-to-order eggs, cereal, fresh fruit, hot breads, coffee, TV, and drinkable yogurts.
- Free Tea is available all day during the day.

CONCERNS
- While supposed to be available 24X7, tea wasn't available from about 8PM-7AM. Also, the hot water was often empty and had to go ask them to brew more (which they quickly did).
- Location is nice and quiet about 10-15 minute walk from Plaza but is up a pretty big hill, so it is a tiring hike if you are getting used to the altitude.
- Shower never consistently stayed hot and would alternate frequently between cold/ warm/ on fire.
- As in all of Peru, the water is not pottable so while you can brush/ shower in it, you should not drink it. They do sell large 2-liter bottles of water for 5 Soles / $2 (we bought them in town for 3.5 Soles).
- We were there in August, and it is VERY cold at night. The breakfast room is outside so can also be cool in the mornings. The rooms have no heat and the bed blankets can make you pretty warm but if you are cold-blooded will probably still leave you cool. You can rent a portable heater for 10 Soles / $4 per day.

CONCLUSION
If you get a proper room, this is a pretty decent place to stay on a budget in Cuzco and the people are friendly. You could definitely get more luxurious accomodation, but you will have to pay much more as well. If they tell you that you will be sharing a bathroom, you may want to consider elsewhere as those rooms are REALLY basic.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank usflyer