“noise noise and more noise, plus lies”

and 1 more site!
Hostal El Peregrino
Ranked #49 of 552 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I had high expectations from this place, and it was nothing but massive disappointment from the start. On their website, and in all their email communications, they brag about providing free airport pickups. I gladly took them up on this offer, providing them with my flight details, so that they would send someone to pick me up from the airport upon arrival. I looked for someone holding a sign with my name, and saw no one. I wandered the airport for minutes hoping that I had just missed the person, but no one was there waiting to pick me up. To make matters worse, there are no pay phones in the airport arrivals hall, so I couldn't even call the place to inquire (obviously this isn't their fault). I found a very generous taxi driver who attempted to call the hostal on my behalf, but no one answered the phone. As a result, I was forced to pay out of pocket to be driven to the hostal. Upon arrival they acknowledged that they failed to pick me up, but no one seemed able to provide any explanation. When I pressed different members of the staff, their English language skills seemed to disappear. Their only offer was to give me a free ride back to the airport.
I quickly tried to put this incident behind me, and checked in. As they were leading me to my room, they commented that I would need to switch rooms the following day (I was booked for 3 nights total). They never provided any explanation, although it seemed clear that they have a rather relaxed definition of reservations, and it apparently doesn't mean that you're reserving the same room for all the nights, simply that you'll get a room. Again, I tried to ignore this customer service quirk, and moved on with my life.
However, that night, is when everything quickly spiralled out of control. Their website & emails very casually mention that if you're a light sleeper, you should request a room "facing the courtyard", as there's a nightclub near by which blasts loud music until quite late. The sad reality, is that this very same nightclub also has a restaurant, whose staff uses the courtyard as a break area, until quite late at night. To add insult to injury, the music from the nightclub is very loud, and quite noticeable in every room facing the courtyard. And all of thise noise persists until 3 or 4AM (or at least did for the nights while I was there). However, I'm getting ahead of myself. When the "thumpa thumpa" music was going at full blast around 9PM, I walked down to the lobby to inquire if they could perhaps move me to a different room where the noise wasn't audible. I was told that they had no other free rooms, and the music would stop around 10PM. Very politely I thanked them, and went back to my room. While 10PM wasn't ideal, I was quite willing to tolerate the noise for another hour, if it meant that I'd have relative peace for the rest of the night. However, 10PM came & went, and, if anything, the noise only got louder. I returned to the lobby to complain, and was given the run around. First the person who I spoke to didn't seem to understand any English. He passed me off to a different woman & the manager, both of which had somewhat better English skills, but not great by any means. They tried to convince me to walk over to the nightclub to talk with them about the noise. This request was beyond surreal. Why should I have to try to communicate with the nightclub about their noise problems? If the hostal management isn't able or willing to address the problem with their neighbors, it shouldn't fall upon me to do so. At that point, the manager seemed to phone the night club to request that they turn down the music. She said that they agreed to do so, however as the remainder of the night proved, nothing changed or improved. I got very little sleep that night, and what I did get was repeatedly interrupted by the music, screaming and noise from the restaurant and nightclub across the courtyard.

The following morning I was moved to a different room (which also faced the same courtyard), and the manager commented that it would be quieter that night, as the nightclub wasn't open that night. It seemed odd to me why a nightclub would be closed on a Thursday night when it was open the night before, but I held out hope that she was being honest with me. Of course this was not to be, and I suffered through a 2nd night of loud music, running nearly until 5AM.

For my 3rd, and final night they moved me again to a different room, however this one faced the street rather than the courtyard. While there was quite a bit of street noise (people talking, traffic, etc), compared to the noise from the night club, it was heavenly. I actually managed to sleep reasonably well.

If they didn't have noise problems, or customer service issues, I would have likely been quite pleased. The rooms were clean & comfortable. The free breakfast was quite nice. The free wifi worked reliably (if a bit on the slow side). And the location is awesome, less than a block off the Plaza de Armas.

However in the end, the horrific noise problems are a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. While I realize that the noise is basically out of their control, their lack of honesty is the real issue.

Room Tip: The 2 rooms facing the street are somewhat less noisy than those facing the "courtyard"
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 September 2012

This place is amazing. Unlike any hostal I've ever stayed in. The service is personalized and they make you feel like a VIP. Maruja, the manager, was an incredible help. She helped us book our Macchu Picchu tickets while we were still in the US and went and stood in line for us to pick them up. They greeted us with a sandwich and coca tea as soon as we got there. She booked all our tours and bus trip, and even hostal in Aguas Calientes at a great price. They have laundry service as well. Included breakfast is great with eggs, tea, juice, fruit and bread. Location is right in Plaza de Armas. I would love to go back and spend more time here. We did alot of traveling throughout Peru and this was definitely the best place we stayed. Worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2011

It's a real shame because we stayed at this hotel for 6 nights prior to our trekking and we were reLly pleased with the room, breKfast and service. Before leaving for the 4 day trek we booked to stay at the hotel the night we returned from our trek. We also left our backpacks in their care (so they knew we were definitely retiming!). Unfortunately on arriving at the hotel after our trek they told us they hadn't any rooms available! I was so upset I could have cried. They phoned another hotel to see if they had availability and also took our bags over to the new hotel, they also offered for us to return to them the following day when they had space (thanks but no thanks!) and said they would pay our taxi to the airport. Call me stubborn but I just would have liked them to honour their reservation system!

So this is why I have given overall a rating of 2. The other ratings I have given refer to our stay prior to the cock up.

I can't recommend staying here however as I think it's too much of a risk that you could turn up after a long tiring trip/journey, only to find you have no room!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Joliday
Reviewed 15 August 2011

we stayed at this hostal 5 nights and we wanted to stay longer.The rooms are very clean.They change the towels everyday and you have a surprise.The staff is friendly and caring.The breakfast is excellent and coca tea is served whenever you ask.It is situatedin the centre near the plaza but it s a quiet place

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2011

The rooms have thick down comforters and heaters. Coca tea is available anytime as well as breakfast. Laundry done cheaply and fast. Right off the Plaza de Armas. The staff walked us out to the taxi when we left. About as good as it gets for a hostal.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Koolaukid
Reviewed 15 April 2011

This is a very quiet good hotel and the breakfast is good. The reception staff are extremely helpful and have some great value contacts in terms of booking taxis around the Sacred Valley. We had a large room with a double bed and two single beds and would have preferred a desk instead of the two extra beds but I guess they need to be flexible in terms of who might stay with them.

Despite it being convenient and comfortable, we chose to move to Hotel Corihuasi which was cheaper and had better views over Cusco city, although with the obvious disadvantage of a 5 minute uphill walk.

I would recommend El Peregrino to families and those who want the convenience of being right next to the centre (Plaza de Armas).

Room Tip: Rooms at the top floor have a view of the Plaza.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eat1Drink2Travel3
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Recommended to me by a fellow TA (InkaCola,) great location, literally just off the main square here in Cuzco. We were shown to a large room, double bed and two singles - the bed was so comfy, best so far and had a great duvet - our sleep was divine. Hot showers etc.

The reason I feel its more hotel than hostel - it didn't have the vibe of a hostel - we were pretty much the only ones staying there so did feel a little souless. However, the staff were truly excellent, really helpful and couldn't do enough for us - we checked out as friends were staying somewhere locally though the owner/manager (Mujure?) helped us with getting a taxi later in the week - even though we were going elsewhere!

Breakfast also very good.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple