“great location, comfort, and value with warm hospitality too”

Casa de Mama Cusco-The Treehouse
Ranked #71 of 390 Cusco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed at Casa de Mama for 16 days in March 2013 and I already look forward to staying there again in the future for many reasons. First, the location is perfect. It is on Atoqsaycuchi, a staired pedestrian “street” in the San Blas District, which I found to be the nicest part of the city that I saw. The Plaza de Armas is an easy and beautiful 10-minute walk through narrow Incan corridors where you will see lots of Quechua people in their native dress, alpacas, women making and selling handicrafts, while passing by interesting shops and through quiet plazas. Going back to the Casa from the Plaza is a little slower as it is mostly uphill, but it is still an easy walk and there are lots of places to stop and rest if you need to. There is also a way to circumvent the stairs (Choquechaca/Calle Triunfo), a slightly longer and easier route that involves walking up a steady incline. Groceries, cambios, laundry services, restaurants, and everything you would need are just outside the Casa door. Perfect location.

I booked a double room at Casa Mama because my nephew joined me during my second week in Cusco. It had two double beds, a refrigerator, portable heater, television with full cable (including HBO and other movie channels) and a kerosene stove. Silverware, cups, and plates were stocked in a hatch behind the bed. The kitchen area was a little small and tight, but it sufficed perfectly for my long stay. The bathroom was built around a living growing, tree, which I found to be cool and unusual.

My room was on the lower level, so it had a big window that looked out over the courtyard and a small secure widow that faced Atoqsaycuchi. My friend booked a single room directly above my room that was much larger, had a microwave, and a stunning view of Cusco, especially at night with all the lights on the mountains. I was jealous, but I also came to love my cozy little room on the courtyard with the trees and all the big hummingbirds just outside the windows, which could be opened for fresh air.The bed was sufficiently comfortable with lots of blankets.

I didn’t expect a nice breakfast to be served in my room each morning, but that comes with the price of the room and is so nice. Coffee, juice, bread, fresh bread, and scrambled eggs with sausage, an onion and tomato omelet, or bananas with honey were all in the rotation. It was a nice way to start each day.

But the best part of Casa de Mama is the people. Mercedes owns and manages Casa de Mama Uno and, in another part of town, Casa de Mama dos. Her English is excellent (she speaks other languages too), she is extremely knowledgeable and helpful and can offer practical information about the city as well as its history and culture, of which she is proud in a humble way. I arrived in Cusco with no luggage after a number of canceled and missed flights, so I was tired and irritable and extremely distressed about being in an unfamiliar place with just the clothes I was wearing. As a Lan Peru agent was leading me to fill out some paperwork, I spotted Mercedes standing outside holding a sign with my name on it. I gestured to her and she came running in behind me. From that point on she took over the lost-bags process, acting as translator, explaining the process, and exchanging information with the airline people. That was the biggest relief and exactly what I needed at that point. She then loaded me in a taxi and took me to the Casa, showed me my room, and had coca tea waiting there. The coca tea was wonderful and really soothed the throbbing headache I developed as a result of the stress and altitude. She assured me that my bags would arrive the next day, and although I knew she had no control over that, I felt better knowing she could call the airline and check up on things. The next day my bags arrived intact, as Mercedes said they would. The thing about Mercedes that I think everyone who has stayed at Casa de Mama knows is that she genuinely cares about her guests. This gives the Casa an element of warmth and home that you will not find in any hotels. It is a very rare commodity in today’s hospitality industry, and worth so much more than matching linens and luxury.

Carmen, the housekeeper, is always there when you need her. She is cheerful and warm in addition to being helpful and reliable. She is the one who makes breakfast, cleans the rooms, and keeps everything together throughout the day and night. She will take your clothes and wash them for a fee and have them in your room neatly folded and packaged within hours. She and Mercedes are two of the hardest working women I have seen anywhere.

People (workers, etc.) sometimes knocking on the courtyard door early in the morning was really the only aspect that could be improved. Mercedes and her husband (an artist who designs and builds the rooms and is all smiles) were building another room when I stayed there and the construction could get a little noisy sometimes, but it was during the day and I was usually out and didn't notice it. When I was there, it really wasn't that loud.

I found Cusco to be a genuinely friendly and warm place, overflowing with life and art. Every step is a photo opportunity. There is no shortage of smiles and it’s a beautiful place. Casa de Mama is the same way, full of art, life, smiles, and genuine hospitality. I can’t imagine returning to that wonderful city and staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kurt N

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Hello, we booked this hotel and would like to use the airport Shuttle pickup and provide out flight information. However, i am not able to find a phone number or email address of this hotel. How are we supposed to contact them? Any help if appreciated! thank you.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Natalia P
MercedesCusco, Propietario at Casa de Mama Cusco-The Treehouse, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

Thank you for writing this question usually we contact with our guests to their mail address that we find in the reservation form , We pick up our guest for free from the airport when we receive the information of their flight that you can write in "clients comments" of your reservation form.
Kind regards
Mercedes

Reviewed 30 September 2012

We loved Mercedes, Carmen and team. They picked us up from the airport really really early, had Coca Tea ready for the altitude and shared valuable information about the area. The hotel is beautiful, clean and has a great view of Cusco. It is close to the city centre and plaza de armas. Thank you for a wonderful 3 nights!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the view of the City when you book.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet F
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at this funky little hotel for several days while we toured the area. We loved our house mom. She was so sweet and accommodating. Our reasonably-priced, clean room came with a fab view of Cusco's hills, classic and complimentary breakfast, a simple kitchen, hot shower, cozy bed, lots of light, security, and a table for writing or eating.
This little hotel is within walking distance of many good restaurants and every kind of shop one would want. It is situated up a set of stairs, but we acclimatized quite easily.
The owner, Mercedes, arranged airport pick-up and stored our luggage for free while we used Mama Casa's as home base for other excursions; when we returned, it was like coming back home as we were greeted with a warm smile and a cup of coca tea.
Comfy, quirky, safe, and memorable.
If you are looking for a typical white-walled hotel room, Casa Mama is not your place. If you want a Peruvian experience, stay here!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank in2soap
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I am peruvian and met my South African husband in Cusco, so we wanted to come back for our 5th anniverssary. Good choice! Casa de Mama was THE right place to stay!Since the e mails with the owner Mercedes I felt a special conection with this place. Casa de Mama is located in the San Blas area in Cusco, sorrounded by restaurants, shops and filled with a magical atmosphere, is walking distance to the Main Square, be aware of the stairs, is a bit hectic but we managed and loved the area. Casa de Mama It is a very basic hotel,a few bedrooms only , but the service is amazing, they make us feel at home. We had a confortable bed,warm enough and plenty of blanquets, hot water perfect,even a kitchennete, a fridge and a microwave in the room! they take the breakfast to your room every morning, scrambled eggs, coffee, juice, we were so spoiled by Carmen the lady that stays there every day.He was a truly mama for us! We got an apartment with an amazing view of Cusco, we loved to sit in our little table for breakfast while we enjoyed the view planning our day. If you are not fussy, and you want to enjoy the real taste of Cusco, stay here, the price is really good value for money. They also contacted Eduardo .A very decent man who took us all over the Sacred Valley, Eduardo has a brand new car and does the taxi service for Casa de Mama. Congratulatiuons Mercedes and Carmen, you really know how to make people feel confortable! Muchas gracias amigas, la pase lindo quiero volver pronto! another plus is they offer free transfer from station/ airport to the hotel and they storage our suitcases while we were in MAchu Picchu. Looking forward to come back to the magical Cusco!

Room Tip: apartment Sagitario
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rocio96
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I just visited Peru and stayed at Casa de Mama. Mercedes not only housed me at Casa de Mama (various locations), but she also took care of all of my tour needs (various locations and guides).

Whatever you need Mercedes and her staff can help - dining recommendations, shows, laundry service, reliable & safe taxi and tour guide service.

I SO love Peru and can't wait to go back again.

Muchas Gracias, Mercedes!

Mary

Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This is the second place owned by Mercedes that I have had the pleasure of staying at and it was amazing enough that I would love to return for a third time. If you think you are going to a five star lodging, you will be disappointed, but for comfort, location and price, this place is perfect. I guess I should say that I have fallen in love with Cusco and if travelling there for the first time, remember that it is not an area that has regular hotel chains.

My first of many reviews, but where to start? They offer pick up from the airport, which is perfect for those visiting for the first time. All the staff is available at all times so if you have questions or need bookings for your excursions, it can be arranged quickly and efficiently with great prices. It's also nice that this is at your request and not pushy or sales like. My first room had incredible views, TV with good channels and free Wi-fi! I did return to the hotel after a week in the Amazon, and they happily held my belongings. I happily left it for them to store for me because you could feel the sincere genuine goodness radiating from everyone who worked there. The second room still had fantastic views, I did find it a little chillier, but they do provide heaters if needed, and have extra blankets. I was a little thrown off by the electrical heaters in the showers but if I understand correctly, they do generally spark so be sure not to play with it too much. Showers were always warm but I did find there was not so much to be found at the tap.

Breakfast is included, like it is in much of Peru, and is generally the same as it is everywhere else. Coffee, juice, eggs and bread, fruit. Really is just enough when dealing with the altitude. You can walk to the little shops to pick up water and drinks, snacks, even walk to the market to try out all the different fruits and bring it back to your "apartment" and store in your mini kitchen. And all the restaurants you will find in your Lonely Planet are steps away.

It's nice to have your own keys as well so that you are able to come and go as you please without feeling like you are disturbing someone. Laundry is done fast and easy

Yes, it is a little quirky and if you have problems with stairs I might not recommend it, but then if you have any problems with walking I wouldn't recommend Cusco! It is Inca territory and everything is up or down steep hills.

If you spend even one night here, the cost would be well worth the breathtaking views. Carmen, Marco, thank you for an amazing stay, I know I will see you again, I just hope it's soon!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo