“Great location and helpful staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ecopackers

Ecopackers
Ranked #2 of 401 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Bogota, Colombia
“Great location and helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

The hostel is right near the main plaza and it's easy to walk anywhere. There is free tea all day and very reasonably-priced drinks and food. The beds are SO comfortable I never wanted to get out and Osmar at the front desk is super friendly and helpful if you need anything!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ecopackers, General Manager at Ecopackers, responded to this review, 2 October 2016
Dear guest, thank you very much for staying with us and for your kind comments, please come back and visit us soon and recommend us to your friends and family, receive our warm regards from the Ecopackers Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed at Ecopackers before and after our trip to Machu Picchu. Great location, great rooms, helpful English-speaking staff, and great female only bathroom (on the 2nd floor). The showers were hot. The only thing is that there are no locks on the room doors (at least in the room we stayed in) so you might want to bring a lock to store your valuables in the cubby box provided. The breakfast was also nothing to brag about - buns and jam. All in all, a nice place to start and finish our trip to MP!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

The location of the hostel is perfect and very clean. Everyhing is walking distance and only 1 or 2 blocks from the main square. The communal area is nice and cosy for cold evenings and the outdoor area with hammocks and sun loungers is equally great for sunny afternoons.

Osmar who works at the hostel was especially brilliant. He went out of his way to help me when I lost my credit card. He helped me translate, make calls and even drive across Cusco to help me find it again. Thankyou Osmar!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
moritas99, General Manager at Ecopackers, responded to this review, 24 April 2016
Vejle, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

Location is perfect - just 2 min away from Plaza de Armas.
Beds are good and toilets are very clean.
Computers and free internet. TV room.
Restaurant and bar inside - live bands a few times per week.
Cosy atmosphere in general and perfect place to stay in Cusco.
And the people working there are so helpful!!
Do Ecopackers!!:) Best place in town for backpackers....

Room Tip: E - close to the toilets:)
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

I really liked the hostel. It was a great place to meet people and in a great location. The bar staff are great and go out of their way to get everyone involved. You can pay by mastercard which was a plus for me. However, there was confusion with being able to put items on your tab. We would be informed me could place items on our tab but then told later as we were about to pay that we had to do this my cash. Another woman travelling was able to put everything on her tab.Perhaps there was confusion involved with some members of staff not knowing the system.
The kitchen offers food at a reasonable price and they do bbq nights, i recommend the Alpaca! The DVD room was great, especially the open fire that was great for chilling out by and talking to people. Overall the Hostel was great and I would recommend it but only if you leave no items out that can be taken! There are lockers provided so dont leave towels, drying clothes etc. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt so when my phone went missing, i really wanted to believe that i had somehow misplaced it but i was certain that i had left it on the bed whiel i went to grab breakfast. I mentioned this to other guests in the hostel and we noticed a pattern of items going missing. A particuarly found it amusing that people had their towels taken as a dirty towel didnt seem that appealing to me.After leaving the hostel, I was informed that some of the guests found some of the missing items in the cleaners closet. Its such a shame that this aspect of the hostel has let them down and it really is an issue that they should sort out. Staff didnt seem particuarly interested of helpful when missing items were mentioned so I hope that by leaving this review, it will lead to some action being taken

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
ecopackers, Owner at Ecopackers, responded to this review, 2 October 2016
Dear guest, thank you very much for staying with us, we have since resolved the probmlems that you encountered, please come back and visit us soon at a great discount so that you can see for yourself, receive our warm regards from the Ecopackers Team
Lima, Peru
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Ecopackers hostel is conveniently located a mere 5 minutes away from the Plaza del Armos. My initial impression of this hostel was one of cleanliness, imaculately kept rooms and bathrooms and a zen atmosphere. If you want a calm place to chill, with a lovely, rustic roaring fire in the common room - this is the place for you. They include a simple but nice breakfast, and fantastic coffee. In addition, If you also enjoy the Ecopackers logo (a slightly deranged looking llama) then fear not - you will see it EVERYWHERE! On the sheets, on the waterbottles, the pool table, on the chalkboards.... everywhere. Can´t get enough of that llama.

However, we will be leaving with a bag much lighter than we arrived with, as anything left momentarily on your bed (including towels hung up to dry) are considered fair game to the cleaners. My friend´s coat that she left hung up by her bed was stolen, and when the staff were asked about lost property and whether they´d seen the coat, they unhelpfully replied ´no´. It was left at that.
Until however, we found the coat a week later, looped through one of the cleaner´s bags, with the packets of Ritz crackers they had also stolen stuffed in the pocket, to rub salty ritz crackers in the wound. However, we did find 20 soles kindly left in the pocket, which we used to buy our dinner (thanks Ecopackers!)
My towel was later also stolen, as well as a bunch of other clothes and when the staff were again asked to aid in finding it, they merely pointed to a shelf of skanky, unwashed, used and abandoned towels and said I could use one of those. Never have a felt so unclean after a shower. They did also indicate that there was a log book, where the cleaners could log the left items that they did not see fit to wear themselves. Said book was clearly barely used, as there are a lot of well dressed cleaners in Cusco.

In addition to this, despite having booked well in advance, we were essentially nomads our entire stay. Having been forced to move rooms a grand total of 5 times, I definitely felt like a nomadic traveller, even though most of the travelling I did was in the hostel itself. The staff then claimed we had no booking, although it was clear they were moving us to make room for later bookings and felt we would merely comply to fit in with them at every occasion. We were once moved rooms twice in one day.
It often felt as though the reception staff were constantly working against us, rather than helping to make our stay enjoyable. It was only at the very end of our stay, when we had paid, that they decided it was time to be polite, grateful and helpful. If only they had been so friendly for the duration of our stay.
Admittedly though the bar and kitchen staff were infallibly friendly.

To summarise: Great location, upkeep and organisation. Shame they don´t slip the staff some vallium.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor. Hide your stuff.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Lauritagreetings
Windsor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

I stayed at Ecopackers for 2 weeks, which as any travellor will know is quite a decent amount of time in any one place. The bedrooms were constantly immaculate, the bathrooms too, and the hostel had an extremely positive atmosphere with great prices for food, drink and fanastic communal hang outs where I found meeting people fun and easy. For the most part, Ecopackers is easily the best hostel I have stayed in in Peru, and this says alot as I have stayed in several others in Lima and Aguas-Calientes. What dampened my stay was the theiving cleaners and the somehow lack of communication between the reception staff and housekeeping. More than once had I noticed belongings such as 2 pairs of leggings and my River Island coat mysteriously vanish from my bedside. Perhaps I was naive to have left out any of my belongings when I had a locker, but who would want leggings covered in my vom anyway? (Yes, I had had food poisoning, woe is me!). The deal breaker, knocking this review to its 3 star rating, was when I had reported my green coat to be missing, to be told by reception in a monotone voice ¨no¨ when I asked if anything of the sort had been found and handed in. I took this useless and blunt answer into account, accepting my coat had vanished, as they do. But then, leaving to dinner on my penultimate night, what do I find stuff into the cleaners going out bag, quite clearly being used? My River Island green coat. So I nabbed it straight back, and although victorious and buzzing I had come to realise that the cleaner had the cheek to parade around in my garment in the hostel itself. Well all I can say is the 20 soles I found in the pocket paid for some seriously tasty Nachos that evening. I think I will leave this review on an appropriate joke which I will address to the Ecopackers cleaner. What do you call a green coat that is not yours? Nacho-coat.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Francesca M
EcoPackersPeru, Propietario at Ecopackers, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to say how sorry we are for the terrible ordeal you had to go through at our establishment.

We would like to thank you for the review you left which has helped us get to the bottom of this. We have revised our security cameras and have seen the exact moment (Sunday 8:11 pm) when you spot your jacket leaving the reception amongst the cleaners personal belongings.

Please know that we have taken the necessary precautions so that this does not happen again in our establishment.

The person responsible for this incident has been removed and we are proceeding to make a formal police complaint.

We are glad to hear that everything else was to your liking at the hostel.

Thank you once again and glad to hear you enjoyed the nachos